chaoskitty

ellipsis vs. question marks

OK, I use the dot thingey to indicate that the thought is trailing off.

That's exactly what the "dot thingy" is for. It indicates an unfinished thought.

Some people leave most of their thoughts unfinished. You can tell that because they put ellipses at the end of every sentence. They're just weak minded.

Some do it for stylistic reasons, but a subset of them use it so often you can't tell the difference between them and the former group.

Only unusually competent writers should consider misusing ellipses for style. The same holds true for all the rules of English.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Exactly! I just wonder why people think they should use an ellipse instead of a question mark? Here, I'm going to pick on Squeak even though he gets his feelings hurt easily, theres not a damn thing I can do about that! :D
"Guess who just got back today...." Question, or command?

Umm... I DONT GIVE R TOSS:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"Guess who just got back today...." Question, or command?

I think it's pretty clearly a command, so what do you think he omitted? :D

He didn't omit shit, he just thinks an ellipse means "turn the page", like most people.
:D

Actually no he does not. I'm well aware of what they mean I'm also well aware that this is aninformal medium, and i do not generaly follow gramatical protocols when I'm in informal setting.
I dont when in general conversation, I don't when i'm talking to people with limited education, in fact I rarely doin any situation.
Now given the general level of concern that i show to most things on the internet it's unlikely that I'm going to change my habits anytime soon.
However I do appreciate the time you take to scutinise my wording :):ph34r::ph34r:
Another thing I rarely do is proof read before hitting "post reply",:P

I would have missed that referecne to me altogether, as i dont generally go into grammar posts, but I clicked it by mistake:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"Tell me about a PLF?" reads completely wrong in my head. The tone of it goes up at the end, which sounds weird.

That's because you put a question mark at the end, rather than the period; which implies a rising inflection of curiousity to illicit a response. Now, If I ask the question, "What is a PLF?" with that rising inflection of curiousity, I will probably illicit the response, "Parachute Landing Fall" which is the correct answer. However; if I say, "Tell me about a PLF," what would your response be?

Okay, Okay, Okay... I'll stop now....

Agreed? :)

So when you ask about PLFs [please note the absence of an apostrophe] you would expect an illicit response? What kind of FJC are you running?:o

Or perhaps you meant to elicit a response.

GBI, evening shift, reporting for duty.B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Please, please, please let the dead horse go!!

If you're going to let other people's grammar/spelling/punctuation mistakes bother you, well, that's just silly, given the amount of time we all spend on here. There's no way in hell you're going to change most of us...so it's really the problem of the one who is bothered.

Let it go already!!:D:D We concede that you grammar police people are indeed of superior intellect. Happy now?:P

Let it go already!!:D:D We concede that you grammar police people are indeed of superior intellect. Happy now?:P

Forget that I concede NOTHING fight you bastards fight>:(>:(

:Dinterent fights are funny:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

...So when you ask about PLFs [please note the absence of an apostrophe] you would expect an illicit response? What kind of FJC are you running?:o

Soooo...where do I sign up for Bigun's course??? I think I could pass that one!!!
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

[Whats the problem with having a semi-intelligent discussion?

Around here.....I'd guess a lack of semi-intellegent participants:)
I have decided that my dot thingies are called kittytracks and are not subject to grammer rules:D
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Please, please, please let the dead horse go!!

etc.

Whats the problem with having a semi-intelligent discussion? That's all it is. I was enjoying it and I'll continue it as long as I like, thank you.

But it's just so fun to listen to people complain about how other people complain too much.

[Whats the problem with having a semi-intelligent discussion?

Around here.....I'd guess a lack of semi-intellegent participants:)
The funny part is that most people who make posts like yours think that they are not part of THAT cohort:ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

In the spirit of love and peace, I am hereby promising to quit using .... for the next 24 hours. It will be a struggle, but I think I can do it.

Now, can we get people to pledge to stop using "anywho"? or even, "anyhoo"?

:D:D

Pick your flavor!B|

Oh, and I must tell you, I've had to retype several sentences already since making my vow.

Remember, though, I only promised for 24 hours. And I can't make any promises about the rest of my punctuation/grammar.:D

Wow. I'm glad you kind of explained that a little further. I read it like you were going to quit using DRUGS or something for the next 24 hours. I had many, many thoughts following that, like "Why?", and "Man, that was so casually mentioned in a thread about punctuation." :D

Now, had it been written, "I'm going to quit using ' . . . ' for the next 24 hours", I would've gotten it.

:P