moodyskydiver

gall bladder problems

I had mine removed in 2000. My first gallbladder attacks were four years earlier. I put up with a few, then I was on the way to do some Christmas shopping with a couple of friends when I had an attack. I tried to suck it up, and they dragged me to the health center anyway.

It was diagnosed as reflux. I was given a prescription for Zantac and told to avoid caffeine and alcohol for a while.

So I took the Zantac for a few weeks, dutifully laid off the booze and caffeine (not easy since I was a grad student at the time) ... and I didn't really see an improvement. So I went back to my usual habits, and dropped the Zantac.

I would get attacks off and on for the next four years. I figured it was just something I had to deal with. Finally, I had a bout that started on Wednesday night when I was traveling to LA for work. I endured a miserable flight home Thursday night, pulled off the side of the freeway to throw up on my way home from the airport, and called in sick on Friday. Finally, Saturday morning I was to the point where I could barely keep anything down, so I called my doctor's office - spoke to the doc on call, who said "Well there's a flu bug going around, but if you're really dehydrated, at least go to the ER and get fluids."

So, after a few tests (chest x-ray, blood tests, etc.) that yielded no results, I was finally given a diagnostic ultrasound and they found a gut full of gallstones. I was allowed to go home but told to schedule the surgery as soon as possible. The surgeon squeezed me in maybe a week later. The surgery, which should take about an hour and a half to two hours, took over four hours because my gallbladder was so diseased and messy and there were so many stones.

Long story that shows that yes, it is possible to live with a bad gallbladder for a while, but if I could spare anyone the pain I went through every time I had an attack (fortunately, they were hit or miss - it's not like I was getting them every day), I would.

But also remember that right now, all you have is a theory that it might be your gallbladder. Till you go to a doctor and get diagnosed properly, you don't really know. Could be something else entirely more serious. Either way, I don't think it's something to screw around with.

My dad had a gallbladder attack when he was out visiting me and ended up in the hospital for five days because it had led to pancreatitis. From what I understand, that is much more common in men, but it still shows that gallbladder problems can lead to bigger problems. He was discharged with orders to get the surgery as soon as he got back home, and I think he had it within a week or so.

RE: the insurance issue; as kbordson said, laparoscopic surgery should in no way be considered "cosmetic" for a procedure like this. You can probably do it on an outpatient basis (I had to stay overnight only because the surgery ended too late in the day for them to observe me for a few hours like they wanted to).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I honestly dont think that this is a theory that its my gallbladder.

Like I said earlier I spoke extensively with my mom,who is an RN and has been a nurse for almost 30yrs.Shes worked OB-labor and delivery,ER,Med/Surgery,Home Health,Hospice etc etc etc.Plus she had her gallbladder removed (after all the same symptoms as mine).I trust her judgement.

Plus I went onto wedmd.com and did a symptom scanner and it too listed this a probably gallbladder.

I'm not trying to attack you on this honestly, I'm just saying I've got a good bit of evidence that points in this direction.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Oh, it probably is. I know that when my dad had his attack my mom was freaking out that it was a heart attack, but I was pretty calm as we drove him to the hospital because I *knew* it was a gallbladder attack (I didn't count on the pancreatitis, of course). I was just pointing out that it *could* be something else, though you do have strong evidence to believe that it is.

I'm a total crusader on the gallbladder if I hear anyone describe symptoms that sound like what I dealt with for four years. Because I was misdiagnosed (and to be fair, because I didn't ever bring it up with a physician again till that day in the ER), I will always tell people to ask about their gallbladder so that it occurs to the physicians. I think part of my problem was that I was first diagnosed at a student health center. It was generally a very good health center, but I suspect that because gallbladder problems are more common in an older population (though not unheard of in people in their 20s, like I was at the time), it wasn't a diagnosis that occurred to them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Had mine out about 4or5 years ago. I put up with the attacks for about 2 years before i couldn't take it anymore. I never knew when the next attack would be, but they came about ever couple months and would last about 2hours. I did gain weight after having mine removed, but thats cause i wasn't scared to eat anymore. :P

Definitely get it checked out girl. If i recall, the doc said left untreated it could get toxic and affect the pancreas.

Hugs and prayers to you sweetie, let us know how it goes.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

The surgeon will want a scan to see what they are dealing with re:sludge, gallstones, or a dysfunctional gallbladder......will also want blood work to make sure it isn't effecting your pancreas and to make sure your gallbladder problems aren't so bad that it is getting necrotic......just wanted you to be aware of what to expect when it comes to diagnostics and labs, as well as the possible complications that could exist depending on the underlying problem.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Thanks I really appreciate it.I'm not near as jittery now that I've read so many personal stories and advice,(but its still gonna suck LOL).

I'm wondering something though.Is severe acid reflux a gallbladder symptom? b/c for the last week I've been woken up out of a sound sleep with terrible reflux.I mean I literally have stomach fluid in my mouth and throat.After a few Prilosec I get get some sleep.So I was just curious.... or it could just be that I have reflux and gall bladder probs.:S

Well, I made it to my doc appointment yesterday.He agreed that it was my gallbladder and scheduled me for a ultrasound.

I went to that apt at 9am and very cranky b/c it was a fasting procedure...Nothing to eat/drink after midnight.
Well while the radiology tech was doing her thing with the ultrasound she said my gallbladder is very distended and she showed my the cluster of gallstones and sludge.ick!:|

So my doctor thinks my gallbladder and I should part ways and have the thing removed.

He also gave me an RX for Bentyl,which I know know much about except he said it was a mild muscle relaxer.So Id appreciate any of the medical people here if they could give me info on this drug.(and no,the pharmacy didnt give me cany info about the drug they just said to take as RXed. :S

Thanks for everyone's support thus far.:)

Oops, hit post by mistake...

www.rxlist.com should list all medications out there. This came up first when I typed "Bentyl drug" in MSN's search field... it's not hard... :)
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/dicyc.htm

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It seems different for everyone.Some can go eat McDonalds every day and some have to be picky and eat healthy .The fat content is what causes the gallbladder to release bile,so no fat no bile...but thats if I were keeping it which Im apparently not going to do.I'm not sure of the diet issues after surgery.I'm sure some of the med people can shed more light on the subject.:)

It *is* different for everyone. I know several people that have had their gall bladder removed. One can eat anything/everything with no problems. A couple others have to watch the amount of fat they eat, and one has a lot of problems with it (but has also always had digestive "issues").

Glad you went in and got checked out...good luck with your treatment!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706