skymama

I love my Neti Pot!

For those who don't know, a Neti Pot is used to clear out your sinuses. I first saw it a couple of months ago when Dr. Oz was talking about it on Oprah. Last weekend, a couple of skydivers were talking about how much it helped them, so I decided to buy one.

I am a lifelong allergy sufferer and take a lot of Claritin, Sudafed and steroid nose spray to help me be able to breathe. I haven't used any pills since I started using the neti pot this week, it's thrilling!

It's kind of weird to use, but you get used to it. Basically, you lean over the sink, pour salt water from the pot in one nostril and it comes out the other side, clearing out your sinuses. It's very unsexy, but it works! :ph34r: Blow your nose well afterwards though. I leaned over this morning at work and water came draining out one side of my nose. :$

I was able to buy one at the local drug store for about $15 and it comes with some salt water packs already made up. Has anyone else tried one?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Never heard of a Neti Pot but I've been flushing out my sinuses with saline solution and a bulb syringe for a few years. It does indeed work well and, as you point out, it's not even a little bit sexy to anyone except the sickest of sickos.

Walt

Haven't tried it, but just hearing your description of the procedure made Dr Pepper come out of my nose from laughing. I'm not sure if that will have any effect on my sinuses. :S

Kevin

You might be onto something. Let me know if I should fill it with Dr. Pepper instead of salt water. :ph34r:

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have used one for a while but could not get it to clear my allergies this last season. I take clariton for my kitties and then allergy season hit and it wasn't working. I tried my neti and it did not help much.

It's amazing you have not taken any pills. I think I would die of kitty allergies if I stopped, How often do you do the neti?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

It's amazing you have not taken any pills. I think I would die of kitty allergies if I stopped, How often do you do the neti?

Well, my allergies are more pollen related, so maybe it's just a slow week. I was feeling a little congestion this morning which would have normally made me take a Sudafed, but I used the pot instead. It was enough for today. We'll see what happens when I'm really, really congested! So far, I've just been using it once in the mornings (I just got it on Sunday), although the box says you can use it every few hours if you need to.

Think of all the money you will save. I use mine mostly when I have a cold before bed it helps clear me up so I can breathe a bit.

I think I have warded off a couple of sinuses infections that way.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

You might be a little careful using the Netipot. I have a friend who used one and if your not careful some of the water can get into inner ear sinus area and cause some problems. He started to get dizzy one day and couldnt figure it out why. Md said all the water was not draining out all the way etc. He quit using it and got better. I told him about a product I use sometimes called NeilMed. I use it during Spring and Fall allergy season and it works great. I'm not saying dont use the Netipot just becareful when using it. ;)

He knows I used the pot, I'm trying to get him to use it also. My kids too, I'm pot crazy. :P

I always knew you were a pot head. Get it pot head hahahahaa[:/]

so i'm curious what brought about the whole nasal rinse craze as of late. Apparently people have been doing it for a long time, but it just recently caught on in mass???

marketing at its best!!! maybe

Skymama's #2 stalker -

No, mine looks like the one in the link that I posted. Is yours used for salt water or something else?

No, mine looks like the one in the link that I posted. Is yours used for salt water or something else?

Sorry Skymama I blew right past the link...
The directions say something about saltwater.
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure.

I always knew you were a pot head. Get it pot head hahahahaa[:/]

so i'm curious what brought about the whole nasal rinse craze as of late. Apparently people have been doing it for a long time, but it just recently caught on in mass???

marketing at its best!!! maybe

Why? Oprah.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Doesn't that hurt? :$

I just remember any time I've accidentally sucked up water into my nose (usually swimming) it hurts like a son-of-a-gun...:(

Probably from the chlorine - the saline solution is closer to the natural mucus and decreases irritation.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Blow your nose well afterwards though. I leaned over this morning at work and water came draining out one side of my nose

Otherwise known as Surfers drip! if you surf the water gets that deep into your head that sometimes it takes a while to drain back out!
Problem is, usually it happens just as you are having dinner, or in a meeting, or leaning over to kiss your date... :D:D Attractive i know!
Never try to eat more than you can lift