VanillaSkyGirl

Need help...does anyone know any SoCal summer school teachers?

Hello everyone~
I need some help for an assignment in my Masters of Education program. Beyond taking/passing all of my Masters' classes, I need to complete 100 educational observation hours, observing seasoned educators. (This is beyond the 240 work/volunteer hours working w/ children, and the several months of student teaching, which is yet to come.) I need to write papers about each observation covering specific requirements.

I am currently in need of observing a teacher's lesson plan implementation within a classroom setting for my Methods, Theories and Instructional Strategies class. Does anyone have any friends, who are teaching summer school within the Southern California area? Are your children taking summer school classes? I just received this assignment, and it needs to be completed within the next couple of weeks. I am willing to drive a long distance to observe a good teacher. You may post or PM me to give me information. If not, I will begin cold calling schools within my district.

Thank you, and have a wonderful weekend!
~Rosa

She said is should be a good teacher.:P

you have no clue dude
I've been an educator in one capacity or other my entire adult life, from SCUBA, SRT Instructor, working on my skydiving AFF instrctor now, and I'm a teacher aswell.
I'm actually very good at what i do:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'd love to go to Perth, Squeak, but I can't do so right now. Thanks for the support, buddie! :)

If there is ANYTHING i can do from this end let me know:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm taking a chemistry class right now, and I think the teacher is pretty good. But it's at a community college; would that work, or does it need to be a K-12 school?

Oh, and my sister is working on her Masters of Education too. :)

I'd love to go to Perth, Squeak, but I can't do so right now. Thanks for the support, buddie! :)

If there is ANYTHING i can do from this end let me know:)

Thank you so much. I actually am beginning to gather many good resources, but I am always interested in learning from everyone, especially seasoned educators, like yourself. I have been interviewing teachers, whom I admire, and I have made a point of finding diverse and interesting people to interview. I was going to ask you for an interview in the near future, if I'm asked for another educator's interview.

Unfortunately, for this assignment, I have to be there in person. I'm sure that I'll find the right classroom to observe. I'm picky, so I want to be sure that I'm getting the most from this. I'm also ok w/ going to an unfamiliar place, if I find a great school online. I've been having a very good time discovering the world of the modern-day educator. My last experience was with my friend Richard's mother (27+ years teaching), and it was fantastic. I spent a few weeks in her classroom.

Hugs and many thanks to you, Squeak! :)

I'm taking a chemistry class right now, and I think the teacher is pretty good. But it's at a community college; would that work, or does it need to be a K-12 school?

Oh, and my sister is working on her Masters of Education too. :)

Well, I think that it would be best if it was in my specific field, but I am actually interested in perhaps speaking w/ your sister. If she is a teacher, then she will know many others. If she isn't and is getting credentials, then I'd be interested to know where she is observing. You can send her my info, Keely. I'll PM you! :)

Squeak actually is a very good educator and a hugely invaluable resource. :)

He's only a freak in here. :ph34r:
:$:$
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

but I am actually interested in perhaps speaking w/ your sister. If she is a teacher, then she will know many others.

She's been teaching first grade for quite a while now, and from what I've seen she's a great teacher. She just recently started back to school to work on her Masters. So far, she's been doing online classes (and using her classroom for some of the assignments), but I think she'll have to take some on-campus classes at some point too. She lives in Texas, so I doubt that she knows any teachers out here, but I'll certainly pass on your info to her; she would probably be interested in talking to you. :)

Hey! Email or call Cathlene!! She was a high school Math teacher and basketball coach! She probably knows people!! :)

Are you sure that Cathlene knows people who might be teaching summer school in my area? I don't know if I want to drive to San Diego (approx. 4 hours away) because my San Diego crash pad is currently unavailable. (My S.D. friend is still in Costa Rica!) Driving to S.D. at 4 am, which I have done, is brutal. This will be worse, if I have to drive back home right after the class is over. My commute will be longer than my observation. B|

Please PM me Cathlene's e-mail and/or number, again. Maybe she can still help me w/ resources. :)

Squeak actually is a very good educator and a hugely invaluable resource. :)

He's only a freak in here. :ph34r:

That must be dissapointing to the ladies if he isn't a freak between the sheets
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

My aunt teaches at Baptist college in Riverside. I can put you in touch with her if you like.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Rosa,

School districts are used to requests like this. Just call the office of a school in your area that is open for summer sessions, and explain that you're in a master's program and need to observe some classes, and that you'll be happy to provide a letter from your school verifying the assignment. They'll probably just give you a day to come down and observe. Sometimes, they'll make you arrange it through the district, but usually that doesn't happen.

I've got some contacts in orange county and temple city if you get really stuck.

If I recall, you are located in and around the Los Virgenes Unified School District. Agoura HS would have summer school, so you may want to start with meeting the principal and asking what steps to take. The principal will probably refer you to the District Office, but the advice can help you a lot.

The problem is that Summer School is only going on there until July 26, so it will probably be a little late to get all those hours.

Good luck!:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Lol...you're sweet, Kris. Thank you, and yes, I'm quite aware of this process. It is my Masters degree, after all. Plus, I have already worked in this field about nine years ago, but I am trying to find more current contacts in varying districts.

I would prefer to observe different different socio-economic settings and varying districts. I've only taught at private schools previously, such as Crossroads in Santa Monica - "the cream of the crop". It was a wonderful experience for me, and I could always go there. However, I would like to compare and contrast, in order to see what I am most drawn to at this time in my life. I most likely want to teach, where I feel that I am most needed. I am quite open-minded about where I end up living in SoCal.

Furthermore, I want to hear from varying and well-seasoned educators in all districts, whom I choose to observe (like my last one), not the other way around. I have one week to find & observe my current observation subject. I may have decided last night, where I am going to do this observation. I still have at least a year left of further observations.

Kris, if you have contacts in Orange County and Temple City, then please PM me their information. I was in San Diego for a while, and Orange County is closer, so I have no issue going there, if needed. Again, I want a wide variety of districts/recommended contacts to choose from over the next year. Thanks!

Thank you, Jerry. This is my district. My brother lives right in Calabasas, so I will definitely be visiting Las Virgenes. I am saving this one for later on in the program, during the regular school year. ;) I had wanted to begin my observattions in areas of which I am unfamiliar, which I have already done, and then end at home. Either way, I want to cover all the "desired" (Las Virgenes) and "undesired" (East L.A.) areas, as well as distant districts, such as Bonita in the southern San Diego area.