JoeBobinNC

Who bought an iPhone today?

apparently you and I are the only ones that don't care.

It's gotta start somewhere :)
Viva la revolution!

I dont care either! How some people can walk around all day stairing at a phone, and not the sky, I will never understand.

We are taking control of this thread, viva la revolution!

Why bother? My current phone is better than the iPhone and cheaper....and can do more (it's the same size of the iphone as well). You can interchange memory cards and batteries, use third party programs, get company email easily, read any type of document, use a keypad, play mp3's, store photos, watch video, use a web browswer just like theirs etc. On top of that I faster data connections and can use my phone as a modem for my laptop and can simply sync up my phone book from my PC/Outlook to my phone without having to spend hours putting 300 phone numbers into a phone. I can also watch TV and get XM Radio streaming on my phone and use any IM program for free. And this phone only costs $90 with a two year contract.

I don't see the reason to get the iphone, esp the 1st generation one.... no keypad for easy text entry, touch screens have never been a precision instrument, not enough storage for good video usage if you are a videophile, you have to use iTunes type shit, you can't use third party programs outside the browser, etc etc.....

Oh ya, it costs as much as a Playstation 3 if you want the good one.

The only thing I can't do yet is watch YouTube from my phone since Flash doesn't work on Mobile 5 but it will on Mobile 6

And on Cingular AT&T EDGE As well.. That is strike 2, 3 , 4 and 5 right there.

Fixed that for ya.... Cingular is now AT&T Wireless...go figger!

+1 on the "no iPhone for me".... I'll stick with my PEBL, tyvm...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=AAPL&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&p=&a=&c=
How many people here would be willing to bet against that track record. Personally, I'm not going to buy one. I'll wait a year or two for the 2nd and 3rd generation But I think Jobs is on the right track with the iPhone and combining everything into one portable unit.

I can still remember the day I was sitting in my office looking at stock prices for Apple. I figured they were in the toilet, so I did not invest. What regret.

The stock price that day was $4.70 per share.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=AAPL&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&p=&a=&c=
How many people here would be willing to bet against that track record. Personally, I'm not going to buy one. I'll wait a year or two for the 2nd and 3rd generation But I think Jobs is on the right track with the iPhone and combining everything into one portable unit.

I can still remember the day I was sitting in my office looking at stock prices for Apple. I figured they were in the toilet, so I did not invest. What regret.

The stock price that day was $4.70 per share.

If it's any consolation, you have company. :( I looked hard about 5 years ago when they were basically priced at the cash value per share price was about $6.50 adjusted for the split that happened a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, my memories of the tech crash were way too fresh and I couldn't pull the trigger.

But, enough of my tales of woe...has anybody bought an iPhone? Impressions??
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Question for everyone........ Does this new iphone work with all carriers or just certain ones???

AT&T wireless (formerly Cingular) only and it's a long term exclusive; 5 years before anyone has a chance of getting it on their network.

This phone would be a bit of a dud if it wasn't for Wi-Fi saving it from their GSM bandwidth limitations. It's a beautiful phone on an old network.

I really dislike AT&T for their overage charges and long distance / out of area setups are antiquated and insane, I once got a 1 month bill for > $800 where a guy standing next to me with another AT&T phone making the same calls would have been in plan $25-$50 because of his home address (they brought that down but I had to sign another long-term). I have a Sprint fair & flexible now and wouldn't go back to AT&T.

Way, way, way overpriced. Figure $600 for the 8 gig model, +2 yr contract, they are making $1,000 or more profit, which is what you can buy a low-end Mac for. Why spend the same for a small device when you can get an entire computer for that?

Sure, I have a $500 Blackberry, but I got it for *free* back when everyone thought that judge was going to shut down RIM for the patent infringement. Even with a free phone, the 2-yr contract with Cingular SUCKS. Can't wait for it to end.

Apple and Cingular - both way over-rated and over-priced.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Yeah, I'm going with Sprint and their $29.99 monthly unlimited email and text messaging service on my future blackberry 8703e pager, just as soon as I order one... and I'll get the pager pretty much free after rebates.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ok, so my scoop. I just switched TO AT&T b/c the carrier I had roamed when I went anywhere West of Raleigh, or out of state, and to get the nationwide plan would be outrageous. I only pay 39.99 for a non-roaming, rollover plan w/ att, and the BIGGEST reason why I switched was b/c they have a contract w/ my hospital...so 25% off my monthly bill and 50% off any phone/gadget/accessory/blowjob, w/e. I've been pleased, no bad service yet, but all other carriers (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, etc) suck around here.

Now to the iPhone. Not a fan of mac/apple at ALL. Probably just a comfort thing, born and raised and educated (degree) on PC's. My biggest gripe though, other'n price, is the fact that it's just another computer. So, if it freezes, you've lost the phone feature. I actually like a phone with BUTTONS to press, incase my software decides to crash and say, "Oh, we don't recognize a touch screen". I've got the Samsung Blackjack (very similar to the Motorola cue(Q) and the Blackberry pearl) and I love it...it does all of that shit...PLUS has buttons, I mean, you know, cuz I'd hate to throw that 1000$ peice of equipment.

DID YOU KNOW CINGULAR/AT&T DON'T OFFER INSURANCE ON SMARTPHONE/PDA PHONES and most def...the iPhone. Wouldn't you hate to break that bitch!!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

exactly...but apparently you and I are the only ones that don't care.

+1 here!!
I am not a fan of Apple. They are Master of Style and Hype over Substance.

I still think the iPod sucks (Over priced, Limited Functionality, Disposable) and have no reason to think that the iPhone would be any better. But the sheep will line up to say how great it is because they bought one and it does everything Apple told them they wanted to do.:S:D

And on Cingular EDGE As well.. That is strike 2, 3 , 4 and 5 right there.

What an interesting choice of words!
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=910

And I'm with ya, too.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Way, way, way overpriced. Figure $600 for the 8 gig model, +2 yr contract, they are making $1,000 or more profit, which is what you can buy a low-end Mac for. Why spend the same for a small device when you can get an entire computer for that?

Sure, I have a $500 Blackberry, but I got it for *free* back when everyone thought that judge was going to shut down RIM for the patent infringement. Even with a free phone, the 2-yr contract with Cingular SUCKS. Can't wait for it to end.

I paid $799 Canadian for my first iPod - a 2nd gen 20 gig model - so $599 for an iPhone that does all sorts of stuff doesn't really seem so bad. It's all relative.

But, on the contract front, I see that DVD Jon claims to have hacked the iPhone so that a person can buy one and use it without activating it and getting tied into a contract with AT&T. This also would enable people who aren't in the US to use an iPhone on wi-fi.

I'd love one of these things to be able to check e-mail, etc using wi-fi. I'm not interested in using it as a phone. The cheap little Motorola T720 I use is fine as a phone, calendar and address book. Am I willing to pay $700 Canadian after taxes, etc? No. But i'd pay$350-400.

So, I am waiting for Apple to come out with the iPod that does wi-fi but doesn't do the cel phone thing. I'd also really dig it if they came out with one that had an iSight webcam and iChat application so that I could video chat using it on wi-fi. I think that some interesting stuff will be available for the comng Christmas shopping season.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Went and played with one this afternoon. Very cool. If not for the price I would have walked out with one instantly. Love the features and the fact that the apps are ones I use already on my Mac. It's like a mini-computer for your pocket!

Hmmmm....my parents are always commenting they don't know what to get me for Christmas. :P Think verson2 will be out by then? B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Lori,

You're just waiting for one you can edit video on;)

Who knows what Apple has in the product pipeline...I wouldn't expect major changes to this one but I would expect more capabilities to be added via firmware/software upgrades. what those would be I don't know.

I do think, as mentioned earlier, there are a couple of other iPod/Wifi/Phone combos they could release.

So, did the iPhone work as you expected? Was using the interface quick and responsive?

--
Murray

So, did the iPhone work as you expected? Was using the interface quick and responsive?

Yes and Yes. Love the text typing, too! Everything set-up like a keyboard, without having to punch a button 3 times to get to the letter "C". ;)

Video editing. How'd you know! :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Yes and Yes. Also typing was rather easy even in just the 5 minutes I played with it. The other thing that struck me was how beautiful the graphics are. And the thing is pretty damn small, even my wife's tiny hands had no issue fitting around it. I can't wait to get one...or two.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

ahh.. i love apple products. Slightly biased because I have apple computer & iPod, but those products really are amazing. Thought about the iPhone but think I'll wait for them to release a couple generations, plus - I played around with one and wasn't too much a fan of the touch screen typing. I text a lot & messing around with it, misspelled a bunch of words just because of the touch screen... so no, not buying one now... maybe later.

"Living like fallen angels who lost their halos" - Unknown Prophets

-Love Life-