Slowfaller

Hawaii travel tips?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii for our delayed honeymoon this Jan or Feb and would like some opinions for those that've been there. We're limited to certain properties because it's through my in-laws time share, I've stayed at their "main" one in Kississimmee(sp?), FL which was beautiful and also in Puerto Rico which was a little below average but comfortable so that shouldn't be a huge deal.

My main question is which island? I understand there are cheap island-hopping flights and we want to go for at least ten days but I'd like to be in an area that has some kind of night life i.e. a bar that's open late with some places to eat and shopping during the day and i'd like to experience the nature part of the islands. Rainforest hikes, kayaking etc...I plan on renting a car.

Also our wedding photos are here if you'd like to see. Click "order online" then "Hunter/Biard". I posted them in the women's forum a couple of weeks ago. Cheers guys, thanks! :)
Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

While I have not been there yet (only one of two US states I have not visited) we plan to go soon. But, I have recently taken up flying trikes, and I heard about Tom Sanders' operation on Oahu island. Looks like a great way to see the island.

http://www.paradiseairhawaii.com/

The big island. Kona, if you can stay there, is fabulous. You've got all the island stuff that Maui and Oahu have, but on a bigger island (less crowded), plus you've got Volcanoes Nat'l Park. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Lanai and Kauai along with the big island, and the big island is the only one I'd go back to.

While I have not been there yet (only one of two US states I have not visited) we plan to go soon. But, I have recently taken up flying trikes, and I heard about Tom Sanders' operation on Oahu island. Looks like a great way to see the island.

http://www.paradiseairhawaii.com/

Something I'll look into. I've never flown on a trike and think that'd be beautiful.

The big island. Kona, if you can stay there, is fabulous. You've got all the island stuff that Maui and Oahu have, but on a bigger island (less crowded), plus you've got Volcanoes Nat'l Park. I've been to Maui, Oahu, Lanai and Kauai along with the big island, and the big island is the only one I'd go back to.

Cool thanks. I was leaning towards Oahu because of the eco stuff but if the big island has some of that we'd be content. I'll be doing plenty of research but real world opinions can mean so much more.:)

what about that bike ride, where they take you to the top of a volcano, then you gluide down on cruizer style bikes? they might like that.

I think that would take some heavy convincing for my wife to do that. Does look like a lot of fun though.

what about that bike ride, where they take you to the top of a volcano, then you gluide down on cruizer style bikes? they might like that.

I think that would take some heavy convincing for my wife to do that. Does look like a lot of fun though.

from what i have seen of the ride, it is very mellow, not fast at all...it was on the news one day about how they are trying to re-stripe some roads due to a few points where the riders must stop, and a ride along traffic guy stops cars for them for safety.

dude, you must fly in a trike someday. i love it as much as skydiving. no windows, no, metal in the way. and, get some good altitude and shut down the motor, wallla! you are a glider! i fly every weekend now...cant get enough. i cant wait to go to hawaii to log a few hours in Tom's trikes!

The fact is, a week on each of the main islands would barely scratch the surface, but I vote for at least a few days on Maui. Lahaina has some night life and the Old Lahaina Luau is one of the best. There's a dormant 10,000 foot volcano ( Haleakala ), snorkeling, whale watching, and a drive to Hana and a hike to Waimoku falls can be a fun adventure if you're up for it.
Whatever else you do, I would recommend you make time for a visit to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial while you're there. It's easy to do, and it's an opportunity you shouldn't miss.

IMO, the big island has more eco related stuff than Oahu. Clownburner and I went horseback riding through a canyon (Waipio Valley) and snorkeling/scuba with manta rays at night. The manta ray experience was amazing!

There's some awesome hiking at Volcanoes Nat'l Park, and Kona has a great nightlife (and I've heard the same about Hilo). Also, the Luau at the King Kamehameha Hotel in Kona is incredible (so incredible that most of the other hotels have stopped doing theirs, since everyone goes to King Kam anyway). On the main street in Kona, there's a kava kava bar (kava is 100% better than beer for relaxing.) and a ton of little bars and restaurants. Plus, of course, there's the Kona Brewing Company. Great beer!

I've done Oahu and the Big Island. To me, Oahu is the equivalent of Disneyland surrounded by water. Crowded, busy and over priced. The Big Island is more laid back. I was there for a week and loved it. You can still find that hole in the wall local establishment and get a feel of what Hawaii can be, or do the touristy stuff. The scuba is much better, and seeing an active lava flow at night was incredible.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

If you are going to Oahu just rent a beach house on the north shore...it winds up being alot cheaper than a hotel in Honolulu...that's the wrong part of the island anyways!

If you're jumping go to Skydive Hawaii, I used to fly there they are awesome people...

And definitely hook up with Tom & Denise with Paradise Air...Denise took me for a ride and it was amazing..

I was born and raised in Hawaii. That doesn't mean much but here's my two cents:

Oahu:
Very 'touristy'. Waikiki is very active and there's quite a night life downtown. Oahu is a bit more expensive than the other islands due to the higher level of visitors. The beaches in Waikiki are crowded but nice. Getting to the other parts of the island is very easy and there are great beaches on all shores of the island. Beaches on the North, West and East shores are less crowded by tourist but still a little busy with Locals. The Dropzone is at Dillingham airfield on the North Shore. Skydive Hawaii is the better of the two DZ's.

Maui:
Less Touristy and has a good mix of night life and relaxing, do-nothing beaches. The nicest beaches are in Lahaina and Kaanapali. There is an underwater reserve at Molokini island that has great snorkling. Tourist often go to Haleakala crater and ride down on bikes; a nice ride. If you go during whale season and snorkle, you can hear the whales if you just dive a few feet below the surface. You can go horseback riding on the mountain or rent a 4WD and drive around the crater. If you're adventurous you can hike down the crater. There is a bit of a night life in Lahaina.

The Big island:
The best thing about the big island is the active volcano at Volcano national park. There are basically two big cities; Hilo and Kona. This is another island that is good for lounging on the beach. You can also find some good horseback riding into the mountains.

Kauai:
A very rural island. Most restaurants and stores shut down at 8-9p. There is a large Canyon that people like to hike into. Kauai has been the location of a number of movies (ex. Jurrasic Park), and there are tours which take you to the "country" where they've been filmed. This is a good island for hiking as they have great hikes and river tours.

All islands have very good scuba diving. I've heard the Manta Ray dive on the Big island is to die for. The only DZ in Hawaii is on Oahu. There are actually three skydive operations on the same DZ... Pick Skydive Hawaii if you jump. All islands will have horseback riding, hidden waterfalls and pools ( you'll have to ask a local, they're not listed in any tourist books or brochures), and great beaches. The best Luau is probably on the Big Island in terms of authenticity, but if you're not ready for the most authentic of Hawaiian food, there are some Luau's on Oahu which temper it down a bit to cater to non-hawaiian tastes. A bit long I know, but hope this helps

Years ago, I took my Mom to Kaua'I. It was pretty, but I am more impressed by the rain forests of the Northwest. Whatever you do for entertainment do yourself a favor and go to "SNORKEL BOB'S" for snorkel gear. It's the cheapest thing you can do there (snorkel that is) and it is so much fun. Mom and I saw soooo many fish, even a giant sea urchin.