Chris-Ottawa

Helmet Alternatives - Skydiving "compatible" helmets

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find the last piece of gear that I need. A helmet. I would like a full face helmet, either with or without a visor. I'm trying to avoid paying $4-$500 (CDN) for a "skydiving" helmet. I'm wondering is anyone has found any good alternatives. I was looking at some, mountain biking hemlets that seem to work well, but they are too bulky and will grab tonnes of air. I saw a few kayaking helmets, but none of them seem to be quite sufficient.

So, I'm hoping someone who has some experience with different variations of effective helmets can share their findings. I've checked all the sports stores in the area.

Thanks for all the help!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

A used skydiving helmet might well be your best bet for full face. Even some of the bobsled teams in the Olympics used skydiving helmets. I did a fair amount of looking before getting a fullface in the first place, and then when it got stolen and I wanted a new one.

Some of them can have the padding replaced, too. That would make a small into a large, etc.

I know that FreeZr and Oxygn are that way. Not sure about the others.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I know people who have successfully used ski or snowboard helmets (and in fact, I used one for a while but mine is sized to fit me with a bulky hat, so it's too loose in freefall without a hat), but of course they're not full-face.

Here's a search for some posts on that topic:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=ski+helmet+snowboard+helmet&search_type=OR&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=50
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I bought the Pro-tec Ace of Spades "Full face" and now regret the wast of $70. It has the lower portion that goes over your chin, but no actual face covering (Like a skydiving full face with the clear plastic visor removed). This helmet's problem is that the lower part sticks out too much and catches airm causing the whole helmet to tilt and the lower part to kinda block your vision a little.

Google "Charly" helmets. The "Insider" and its visored counterpart are very protective and aerodynamic helmets designed for paragliding. They look a little funny and egg-like, but you'd sure be the only person at your DZ wearing one. I forget their pricing, so it may be a moot point.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Buy a used skydiving helmet if you have to have a fullface.

If you aren't totally stuck on a fullface, buy a Protec. US$45-ish will get you a brand new one and it will protect your head far better than any of the skydiving specific helmets out there.

Hey,

Those are pretty cool. Definately checking them out, but still a bit pricey.

As for the other posts, I have been lokoing for a used helmet but it seems to be something that doesn't come up alot. I've looked at snowboard/ski helmets but it's hard to find them out of season.

I just find it really hard to pay $3-500 for a helmet for "skydiving" that isn't even rated for safety. If it was DOT approved or something, I'd be more inclined to get one.

I'm gonna keep looking, guess i'll just have to wait until I see one on ebay or something.

Thanks

Chris

Be sure to watch the classifieds on this site. There are some great deals that pop up on there. You'll probably have a better time finding gear on here than eBay.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I bought the Pro-tec Ace of Spades "Full face" and now regret the wast of $70. It has the lower portion that goes over your chin, but no actual face covering (Like a skydiving full face with the clear plastic visor removed). This helmet's problem is that the lower part sticks out too much and catches airm causing the whole helmet to tilt and the lower part to kinda block your vision a little.

I got a snowboarding Protec too that didn't live up to hopes. Fortunately only $15. I did a couple jumps with it but the top catches too much air at terminal and tugs at me. Probably fine for a HnP or a heli jump.

Thanks Diablo,

That's part of the problem. They are available in the classifieds, but not any size that would fit. I may just splurge and buy a new Oxygn or a factory diver and remove the visor?

We'll see, if anyone else has a helmetin need of a new home, give me a heads up.

Thanks!

Thanks Diablo,

That's part of the problem. They are available in the classifieds, but not any size that would fit. I may just splurge and buy a new Oxygn or a factory diver and remove the visor?

We'll see, if anyone else has a helmetin need of a new home, give me a heads up.

Thanks!

Have you placed a wanted ad in the classifieds? That's how my main found me. Not everyone trolls the forums.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke