Nightingale

How to stay awake...

I am so tired. My work demands I start at 7:30, and it's an hour and a half drive in, so I'm up at 5:00 am. Then, I've got school, and the obligations for my online class sometimes involve online discussions at certain times of day, usually 10:30 at night, until 11:30 at night (online classes aren't allowed to do anything mandatory while other classes are in session, and other classes end at 10:15). So, I've got several days a week where I'm stuck staying awake until around midnight. I've been running on 5 hours of sleep for the last three nights, and I'm so tired I'm dizzy.

I'm trying really hard not to fall asleep at my desk. I've been getting up and taking walks every so often, and I've had about four shots of espresso. I'm still having trouble keeping my eyes open, and to top it off, I've got a headache, and if I take my headache medicine (midrin), I will most definitely fall asleep.

So, any advice?

The headache you have is probably due to lack of sleep. I get them all the time when I've had very little sleep and then try to make it through the day. B|

The last few nights, I've been galavanting around town (well, basically hanging out with a very 'interesting' group of friends) and staying up way past my normal 'bedtime.' I'm sucking down Dr. Pepper every few minutes trying to keep my eyes open... I was out until 3 this morning, then had to get up at 6 to get to work... I can honestly say, "I know how you feel."

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

I feel your pain: I used to take Midrin for migraines (I'm lucky, I outgrew them) and that stuff would RUIN me for the rest of the day. I knew I was going to be out on the couch or in bed for a while. No headache, but no conscious thought either, it was kind of a tossup.

I used to run on about that much sleep for about a year or so at my last job. I found that I adjusted after the first month or so. I noticed that I fell asleep much faster and slept deeper. Some nights, I would wake up in the same position I feel asleep in, the bedcovers wouldn't even be ruffled!

I know its easier to say than do, but trying to minimize the sugar and caffeine will probably benefit you in the future. You just crash later on, and I'm sure it isn't helping your headaches either. Instead, eat several small meals through the day, so your blood sugar stays normalized throughout the day and you don't get that afternoon "oh, I'm so full from lunch that I need a nap" feeling.

Get regular exercise, try to find time (as you are already) to get up and away from your desk periodically, and schedule your most mentally demanding tasks for the morning when you'll be your sharpest. Leave the filing and stapling kind of duties for the afternoon.

Elvisio "I almost sound like I know what I'm saying" Rodriguez

So, any advice?

Sleep is just a cheap caffine substitute!!:P:D

LOL. Well, after four shots of espresso, my hands are a little shaky, but I'm still exhausted.

Nooners wake me up pretty well.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

what I usually do is not drink coffee or anything with caffeine until I actually need it. Then, the effect is much greater. If you drink it on a regular basis, it no longer helps that much...

since you've already been drinking espresso, try something different... I find diet coke with lime to be quite effective sometimes

and if you can take a nap, do it! even if it's just half an hour or an hour... at first, when you wake up, you might feel like you're even more tired than before, but that usually goes away in 5 minutes

Excedrin always works really well for me. It helps with the headache AND it has caffeine in it.

I worked 50-60 hours a week (waiting tables - very hard on body) and was going to school for several years and I couldn't have done it without excedrin and/or vivarin. Unfortunately, I'm cursed and can't stand coffee.[:/]

So, any advice?

Sleep is just a cheap caffine substitute!!:P:D

LOL. Well, after four shots of espresso, my hands are a little shaky, but I'm still exhausted.

I find when I am that tired that any stimulants make it worse due to the crash which seems to be increased in intensity in this state. I've found the best way is to get up and walk around (don't run) and drink a lot of water and green tea.

Also, never underestimate the power of a 10 min nap....just make sure you drink water right after you wake up.

You'll eventually get used to the long hours. Try doing some stretching during the day and a wee bit o yoga in the AM. You'll be amazed at what it does. You can also alternate the source of caffeine - green tea and coffee work well.

:)

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Guest 1010

most cell phones have an alarm function that'll wake the dead, so if you can even get 20 min at lunch that would help. Make sure you get the AM and PM right when you set it! :)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Meth.

Duh.

:P

I'm actually surprised by all the reasonable answers (nobody mentioned coke... well except the diet coke with lime, but that's a bit different). Must be cuz Nightingale is so nice that everybody just wants to help.

I do know that GoFast helped me through a few days of my intern year.

But... the best answer is sleep.

Meth.

Duh.

:P

I'm actually surprised by all the reasonable answers (nobody mentioned coke... well except the diet coke with lime, but that's a bit different). Must be cuz Nightingale is so nice that everybody just wants to help.

I do know that GoFast helped me through a few days of my intern year.

But... the best answer is sleep.

If she is worried about the crashing aspect - just do a speed ball - it'll take the edge off.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well,have you considered Meth.:P;)Keep ya up for days on end.
Bry

PS Can ya try and get back to me on the Air Bears.I know ya got alot going on but,I am interested
Thanks,
Bryan

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)