Viking

Can't make up my mind on an MMORPG

What sucks though are the ones where you have to buy the damned game to see if you like it. EVE at least gives you the game for free so if you go "ok, this sucks" you're not out much.

WoW has 10-day free trials.

That's enough to give a person a small taste of the game. The game is HUGE though. Far, far larger in content than most people who have not played it can possibly imagine.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

honestly i cant wait for technology to catch up. I played Warbirds for ages but even that got hammered during major events and turned into a slideshow... and a few seconds DO matter in the middle of a furball..

Yes, but that's not what I was talking about in my earlier post. If a fight is happening in Solar System X, what's happening in Solar System Y doesn't matter. Sure, 500 v 500 battles are still going to be impossible with right now technology, but you can artificially limit battle sizes in certain ways.

I'll take a 50 v 50 fight with manually controlled mechs and aerospace fighters over a 500 v 500 fight where all I do is point and click. I'm sure others feel the same.
cavete terrae.

What sucks though are the ones where you have to buy the damned game to see if you like it. EVE at least gives you the game for free so if you go "ok, this sucks" you're not out much.

WoW has 10-day free trials.

That's enough to give a person a small taste of the game. The game is HUGE though. Far, far larger in content that most people who have not played it can possibly imagine.

I played Eve for 6 weeks (checked my credit card records ;) ) and had fun, but got sick of getting my ass kicked by people who've never seen a naked woman that they didn't use their mom's credit card to rent. All I kept thinking was "give me a chance to control this fucking thing myself and I'll show them a thing or two", and it hit the point where the frustration wasn't worth the fun.
cavete terrae.

" . . . and had fun, but got sick of getting my ass kicked by people who've never seen a naked woman that they didn't use their mom's credit card to rent."

Well, that's going to be true of any game you play from WoW to Chess.

The truth is that when you have HUGE games, there's going to be a percentage of the population that has nothing better to do, ever, than to play the game and . . . some of them get quite good at it. Run into one of them, in any game, and you're going to get your ass kicked.
quade -

I'll take a 50 v 50 fight with manually controlled mechs and aerospace fighters over a 500 v 500 fight where all I do is point and click. I'm sure others feel the same.

I agree, but it will take a VERY savvy game design to make the smaller scale fights possible and still give you a reason to fight beyond 'bragging rights'.

One of the things about Eve is you have to buy or produce everything you use.. so losing a fight is actually losing material and time to recreate your ship. (You dont lose your core skills so you retain your basic 'game time investment'.) Which means people band together to protect their investments in time and material, from those who want to take them away. So while small skirmishes always happen on the outskirts, the real conflicts are between thousands of players on each side for control over an area or resource.

that drives LOTS of people away from Eve.. those who want easy rewards without risk of loss.

" . . . and had fun, but got sick of getting my ass kicked by people who've never seen a naked woman that they didn't use their mom's credit card to rent."

Well, that's going to be true of any game you play from WoW to Chess.

The truth is that when you have HUGE games, there's going to be a percentage of the population that has nothing better to do, ever, than to play the game and . . . some of them get quite good at it. Run into one of them, in any game, and you're going to get your ass kicked.

Sure, but natural talent plays ZERO part in it. I have always been very good at combat flight sims, I've got a knack for it. I can generally sit down in front of a computer with a stick and a throttle and put up a very good fight against anyone I play. I was one of the testers for what's still the benchmark for combat flight sims, I took a four year break, and when I came back I could still outfly many people who'd logged god knows how many more hours than me. But I had more fun knocking it back a few notches and really furballing than I did splashing someone before they knew what was going on.

I suck at shooter games, on the other side of things, no matter how much I play them :D
cavete terrae.

that isnt quite true.. it just seems that way early on in Eve while your toon trains up the basic combat skills for their ship class.Once you are "qualified" (or later on reach 'parity' so that you are as good as you can be in that hull) it does come down to how well you planned and fit before you undock, as well as how/when you decide to attack. One of the key components is knowing when NOT to engage because you are clearly 'out classed', and alot of combat is joining up with others to find a target that your gang actually has a chance of killing.

Eve is very much a Player vs Player game.. you can play it to minimize the direct conflict, but even in the market/industrial arena you are still vying with other player and undercutting prices, buying out resources etc... in fact the only thing Eve actually 'simulates' is market forces of supply and demand.

the separation between player skill and character skill is the driving force behind MMORGS really.. you arent 'you' you are your 'character' and can only do what your character knows how to do..

I got started playing Eve when i was laid up after femuring myself, and it is still and entertaining time waster years later...

My ideal one would be something based on the BattleTech universe, where you could be a dropship pilot, jumpship pilot, mech pilot, aerospace fighter pilot, infantryman, etc

Play Battlefield 2142. http://battlefield.ea.com/battlefield/bf2142/ There is a process of unlocking armament but it's not much that will help one or the other in head-to-head.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I can only suggest what others have suggested. Don't do it. My history was Everquest from 99` till just a few months ago. Granted I was in the top guild on my server. Blowing through content like the wind, gathering all the badass gear and weapons before anyone else. I've still got my toon. Even after not playing for the last 4 months, I'm still ranked the 2nd Shadowknight on my server as far as HPs, AC & Mana. The guy that knocked me out of first place was a guildmate.

Everquest was fun. But, the time sink I put into it took a toll on my personal life. I'd play close to 30 hours a week. Raiding & just grinding stuff so I could raid more. It was such a time sink!! I still have my acct. Just not active. I have wanted to activate it a few times when I'm sitting at home with nothing to do... but I refuse because I know I'll get sucked back into the weekly grind of "Staying better then anyone else" on the server.

I will say, I played WoW for about 6 months a year after it came out. By then everyone on the server had 2 or 3 level 60 toons and were either grinding a new one or just playing with PvP all the time.

WoW was and still is the easiest of the MMO games out to date. Easy to solo, really no need to group unless you want too.

LoTR online, I have no hope for. It's another flash in the pan like D&D Online was. Made by the same company. I played the beta before it was a public beta. It felt to me like I was on a treadmill being force fed the content. Pretty much guided down a path with no options to change my destiny.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is huge! I mean the world is phenomenally huge. I've never once ever played a game that big. It's got major performance issues, game bugs and takes a hefty machine to play. I quit playing Everquest to play Vanguard. I didn't feel like investing into a new computer just to play VG comfortably. So I canceled.

Guild Wars, I enjoyed it. The PvE was fun and rewarding. The PVP is where this game shines. You have to get into a decent guild or you'll really dislike the game and hate losing ALL the TIME!

Now that I wrote a book... my best advice to you is just don't get involved with any of them right now. If you've got the freetime to invest in a MMO with it becoming summer time. You need to do something more constructive with your time. MMOs will lock you away from the sun and in the end you'll come out of your house and look into the big round ball in the sky and wonder what you just did for the last 5 years. :|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Yup, there's this really great Massively Multiplayer Game called life. The graphics are amazing. The AI is unbeatable too. If you're sitting playing any MMORPG instead of that you're a sucker. And I'm speaking as an ex-player who deleted a lvl 60 char in WoW more than a year before the Burning Crusade launched.

It was fun at times but ultimately a hollow and pointless experience, that's despite having a professional interest and not being into it as much as most sad sacks.

Seriously walk away people who advise you otherwise are the aforementioned suckers trapped in a Plato's cave of their own making and are to be ignored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave

Being in Plato's cave as a function of life's great mystery and the limits of one's intellect and experiences is one thing. To enter a cave within a cave and voluntarily manacle yourself to a literal manifestation of the same is quite possibly the dumbest thing a human being can do to their spirit.

You will never get the time back that you burn in a MMORPG. Walk away!

I'm playing both WoW and LoTRO. Guild Wars...yeah...it sucks.

Sucks.

That being said...i'm not a big PvPer, sometimes i do it in wow for fun, but i doubt i'd ever get into a game where it's the focus. It's why i like wow and lotro...you can spend all your time doing quests and following the stories and never have to worry about being ganked by another player. It's why Guild Wars to me is "meh". I would rather be able to spend all my time questing than being forced to pvp to get any rewards.

LOTRO also has a free trial, like WoW.

By the way...an MMO is just like any other hobby. so you don't like it? don't play them. I hate being judged or told that I'm wasting my time playing video games. How do you feel when someone tells you you're wasting your time skydiving? Exactly.

I am a gamer and a skydiver. gaming is a hobby. when someone tells me that video games are a waste of time....grrr. makes me angry. >:(

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

P.S. anyone who thinks this is just another hobby, I know college dropouts who dropped out because they discovered MMORPGs. I have had colleagues who spent almost every waking moment in them. I know otherwise serious people who maintain multiple WoW accounts and obsessed over the game. I know several people who quit cold turkey because they spent yet another weekend where EVERY waking moment with little sleep was spent in-game, and some of these people were married. Others having reached lvl 60 and raided available dungeons looked around in IF and saw almost everyone else was lvl 60 or near hunting for the same gear drops.

These are COMMON stories and I think they are closer to the norm rather than the exception.

Just go online and read about what it takes to actively participate in a high level guild and what these people think a minimum is for a 'serious' player.

It is simply not accurate to say this is just video game playing or like any other hobby.

Since it's just a hobby, type /played on the WoW command line for each of your chars, add them up & post the total.:)

Pity we can't do a /played on dropzone.com.

Would be interesting to know the number of days "played" debating such "important" things as; swooping, gun control and of course the ever present "boobies". Lemme tell ya, THOSE are hours you're never getting back either.
quade -

Clicking on links between whatever else you're doing hardly takes the effort & focus of WoW.

So . . . time wasted while being mindless is somehow "better" than time wasted while being mentally enganged?

Hmmm.
quade -

forget it, quade. i have this same discussion with my husband ;) Basically, it seems that any activity that doesn't "produce" something is a waste of time. Good thing most folks don't share that view, since then great books would never be read, movies would never be watched, skydives would never be made, etc.

To me, playing an MMO is like watching TV or a movie. What do i "produce"? Enjoyment? entertainment?

Anyone can get "addicted" to anything...MMOs are no different.

Dorbie...do you read fiction books, by any chance? just wondering.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Hey Dorbie you made your point several posts back. If your gonna get into an argument do it in PMs please.

My post was about which game is better and more fun not whether someone should play them or not.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

So WOW players tell me about making weapons and items with the Professions system. Also how vital is it to choose a good Race/Class combo? Can you screw yourself if you choose the wrong class? Have they balanced out the system enough so you won't be struggling the entire game?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin