Skolls081102

Black Widows In New Jersey????

So I just got back from vacation, and I go out to mow the lawn and do some other yard work (man it sucks to be back), and I see a spider (rather large) crawling across my patio. So I do what I ormally do, and stomp on it. Now, as I'm about t stomp on it, my brain triggers "man that looks lik a black widow." So after I smush it with my fot, I turn it over and sure as shit, its got red on its abdomen. Not hour glass shaped, but it was smushed. I read online that they go as far north as Canada, but I've never seen one in Jersey. I've lived here for 30 years. My question (for any spider experts out there) is how common are they in Jersey? And what can I spray outside and inside to take care of them?

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

i lived in NJ for 5 years before i got out of that dump ;):), and i saw black widows. Not often, but couple times a year I'd say. Glad you were able to get it, before it got you.

As for stuff to spray.... i don't have any idea.

CReW Skies,
bubbles

"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Whats Demon WP? I went to Home Depot, and got some spray- says it kills pretty much everything (mosquitos, betls, spiders, etc...) I'm sur it doesnt work that wll, bt hey, its better than nothing....

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

We have tons of them in California deserts. I think they live on all of the lower 48. I think there a cool looking spider but make a ugly web. I think they live only for a few years at the most, And only for a few mins. when I find them around my house.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

How painfull is the bite? I saw a documentary where a woman had been bitten and did not realise it, but got violently ill later on and went to the hospital. Not sure how they figured out after the fact what had bitten her and what anti-venom to use

Is this normal or will you usually feel it when it happens?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I've heard that black widow bites are very painful.

I've heard that you can only ever get the black widow anti-venom once in you're life, but I think that's an "old wives tale" told to kids to scare them into not f-in' with black widows.

I've also heard that the possible side effects and complications that can come from the anti-venom itself leads a lot of doctors to be hesitant to give it to you if you've been bitten... i.e. see if you can gutt out the pain without it, because the anti-venom may f-you up more then the bite in the first place.

I live in the Mojave Desert too... do you want to hear about the Mojave Green Rattle Snake we... actually some other stupid person... caught in the hallway at work today?
;)

I've heard that black widow bites are very painful.

Strangely I find that releiving. I would rather know as soon as it happens

I've also heard that the possible side effects and complications that can come from the anti-venom itself leads a lot of doctors to be hesitant to give it to you if you've been bitten... i.e. see if you can gutt out the pain without it, because the anti-venom may f-you up more then the bite in the first place.

Is there any way to confirm this?

do you want to hear about the Mojave Green Rattle Snake we... actually some other stupid person... caught in the hallway at work today?

Sure, if you do not mind.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Well it looks like this is true.

http://www.llu.edu/llumc/emergency/venom-er/arachno.html

I live in the Mojave Desert too... do you want to hear about the Mojave Green Rattle Snake

Lived there for 10 years. Lots of spiders and snakes around. Had a few Mojave Greens in the garage and our cat brought a baby green into the house as a present.[:/] Never bit by either, but had a close call when a green coiled up under a tall chair I was sitting on. I put my foot down to get something and it rattled. Luckily it had just eaten a mouse and was not interested in me. After I calmed down a bit, I picked it up and moved it away from the garage. One of our dogs did get bit, but recovered. The venom from the green can attack both the circulatory and nervous systems. Can be pretty fast acting as well. Learned early to look before sticking a hand into a dark place. Snakes and spiders tend to relax there during those somewhat "warm" summer days.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

do you want to hear about the Mojave Green Rattle Snake we... actually some other stupid person... caught in the hallway at work today?

Sure, if you do not mind.

Well... some brave (or stupid... depending on your opinion) folk in the building caught the thing in a trash can and took it outside and set it free.

Good on them.

Okay, bang on me about snakes being your friends and all... and I don't have any problem with the king snakes or red racers that hang around here too... but when it comes to rattle snakes that develop the "habit" of hanging around where people live & work... if it were at my home... I'd introduce Mr. Rattle Snake to my Remington 870 pump-action 12ga. "Snake Catcher".
:|

... works on cats too.
;)
:P
:D
:)

Well... some brave (or stupid... depending on your opinion) folk in the building caught the thing in a trash can and took it outside and set it free.

My strategy in that situation would be to run away screeching at the top of my lungs like a little girl

Okay, bang on me about snakes being your friends and all... and I don't have any problem with the king snakes or red racers that hang around here too... but when it comes to rattle snakes that develop the "habit" of hanging around where people live & work

In my case it would depend. If it was a one time rare incident (one in a million) I might get someone to remove it alive, but if it was regular like say mice, I might take the extermination approach. I would not want to always have to watch my step.

if it were at my home... I'd introduce Mr. Rattle Snake to my Remington 870 pump-action 12ga. "Snake Catcher".

Heyyyy.....I have a Remington 870 Express. Fun little gun. Are you allowed to use them for pest control in your neighborhood?

... works on cats too.

:D:D As long as you don't shoot dogs...that would be sad.

Black Widows are now making it to Alaska. They apparently came in on the boats along with the Brown Recluse. I was a Big Game Hunting Guide up there for 3 years. Never saw one up there but the biologists all said they could survive and would probably be there for good now. I live in Georgia now and there are plenty of them here.

You're more likely to find them in dark muggy places. For instance, if you have a shed out back that's really just used for storage, check it out for widows. Also places like the cover over your water main in your yard, use a stick or something to lift it up, don't stick your fingers in there. You can find whole nests of them in those places.
Ben Lee
www.CollegeSkydiving.com