kenz

absinthe =devil juice

i'm sorry to all of you who really enjoy this stuff, but i had some, well i had three huge swigs out of the bottle, this weekend for the first time ever- tasted fine - that didn't bother me.. but holy hell did i pay the price later - i seriously felt like i was becoming dr jekyl and mr hyde - i didn't know what was happening to my body and i got sick as a dog and it made me super angry... i have NEVER turned into an angry drunk before in my life - i'm not an angry person - i think i was just so mad that i had no clue what was happening and i had no control - i'm finding interesting stories from the rest of the night which were rather humorous but bleh - never again

anyone else have horror stories from the juice from hell?:P
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

what do you mean not real absinthe? the guy that brought it just came back from europe - pretty sure it was the real deal - i was also drunk when i did the shots (it took me a whopping 4 beers to be blitzed off my ass) i didnt know there was a difference - as far as i know that stuff was as real as absinthe gets
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

what do you mean not real absinthe? the guy that brought it just came back from europe - pretty sure it was the real deal - i was also drunk when i did the shots (it took me a whopping 4 beers to be blitzed off my ass) i didnt know there was a difference - as far as i know that stuff was as real as absinthe gets

Ok, I with other villagers make Absinthe from Wormwood and Fennel which grow wild on our mountain, it usually turns out with around 300mg Thujone per liter an 100%proof
Most countries have banned the Thujone in Absinthe, USA included. Spain and Portugal it was never banned (with Thujone)
Do a search for Thujone,

If the Guy brought it back from Europe it may well be the real deal, an chugaluging 100% proof liquor is not wise.

Gone fishing

i'm sorry to all of you who really enjoy this stuff, but i had some, well i had three huge swigs out of the bottle, this weekend for the first time ever- tasted fine - that didn't bother me.. but holy hell did i pay the price later - i seriously felt like i was becoming dr jekyl and mr hyde - i didn't know what was happening to my body and i got sick as a dog and it made me super angry... i have NEVER turned into an angry drunk before in my life - i'm not an angry person - i think i was just so mad that i had no clue what was happening and i had no control - i'm finding interesting stories from the rest of the night which were rather humorous but bleh - never again

anyone else have horror stories from the juice from hell?:P

Ooh. You swigged it? LOL. Honey, it's not a party drink IMO... you drink it with certain people in certain circumstances in a certain way... it's meant to expand the mind. It's meant to be experienced, not drunk. In different circumstances it might have been a whole different experience.

Ok, I with other villagers make Absinthe from Wormwood and Fennel which grow wild on our mountain, it usually turns out with around 300mg Thujone per liter an 100%proof
Most countries have banned the Thujone in Absinthe, USA included. Spain and Portugal it was never banned (with Thujone)
Do a search for Thujone,

If the Guy brought it back from Europe it may well be the real deal, an chugaluging 100% proof liquor is not wise.

thanks for clarifying that...fennel would be the reason for the intense licorice flavor i'm assuming... anyway not only will i not be chugaluging it ever again - i'm just gonna go ahead and pass altogether...:S

FYI - absinthe generally has LSD or some kind of halucinagens in it. That could be what made you a mean drunk.

Eek.Sorry but the hallucinogenic properties of absinthe are a Bohemian myth, it has never been proved that Absinthe is hallucinogenic.

Over the years I've found that some drinks make me "mean" mainly Gin and an evil thing we distill from the remains of the grape.
White rum an Whiskey make me silly happy, While JD Has just stopped having any affect.

Gone fishing

FYI - absinthe generally has LSD or some kind of halucinagens in it. That could be what made you a mean drunk.

Absinthe does not have LSD in it. It does have thujone, but with the amount contained in absinthe, you'd end up with alcohol poisoning before you started hallucinating.

You're not supposed to set it on fire, either. That came from a movie. :P

I understood that you're meant to place a sugar cube on a slotted spoon over the glass, and dissolve the sugar into the drink as you pour. Another urban legend?

-Caroline

That is the preperation of absynth these days because the drink has no added sugars and this brings out the flavours.
However after just reading wikipedia it is not as traditional as i thought, however it is listed as the way to prepare the drink.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Absinthe is my hubby's drink of choice and we import it from France and a few other places.A friend brought us a bottle from Amsterdam once.I cant drink the stuff b/c of the anise in it,which gives it the licorice flavor,(which I think taste nasty!) but we can get some w/o anise,I've just never tried to after my first experience with the stuff.He mixed it properly with the absinthe spoon and sugar etc.(like I said,hes a connaseur of this stuff) but it didnt make me sick it just gave me real bad indigestion.:S

I'll get him to post his experiences and techniques for making an absinthe drink later this evening when he gets off work.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

i'd say you'd be the perfect person to answer that mr tazer gun... but the upcoming pepper spray idea proves me wrong :P

Wow, and I thought I drank some funky stuff!:o....:)

I'm sort of intrigued to try this now, if it were properly prepared; yet not sure. For a minute I thought it was, what we call in Poland beember, which is homemade vodka; 90% Proof. Its great though-honest to God, there is no hangover whatsoever no matter how much you drink.

The weirdest experience I've had with alcohol thus far was drinking with my uncle and his friend. The two of them were sitting at the table, drink what appeared ever-day joe shmoe vodka, so I joined them for 1 shot. My uncle then asks are you sure you want this?...sure He proceeded to poor some on a spoon, lit it with a lighter, and as I watched the small flame burn he asks again. I took 1 shot, and 1 shot only, but wow...I wasn't buzzed or anything, but I swear...a part of my head, on the back felt numb for a while. in retrospect, I'm almost positive it was a 100% proof spiritus.

Now here's what I recommend :) Take a shot glass, fill it (in this order) with a little cherry juice, than vodka and top it off with 1, MAYBE 2 (no more!) drops of Tabasco sauce The effect is great; first you taste the spice, then the vodka, and the cherry juice cools it all down...it's called a Wild Dog where I come from ;)Don't knock it till you try it! ;)

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

To start with Absinthe is like any other drink to much at one to is a bad thing, drinking it from the bottle is also not a very good idea. I have been drinking Absinthe for almost ten years now, and like Moodyskydiver said we do spend the money to get the real stuff imported. I have found that Absinthe like a very old good Socth is for sipping, drinking anything thing large amounts is not a very bright thing to do. The thujone in absinthe comes from the wormwood and after a few drinks you will not get any kind hallucinogenic effects, but the human body is very slow to break down thujone so if you drink one or two glass a day for a week or so you you will have very mild hallucinations, the thujone will effect your dreams, and if you have enough thujone built up in your system you will have trouble telling your dreams from real life. There are two basic ways to drink absinthe one is to take the absinthe and mix in powdered sugar and very cold water or even crushed ice. The other way and the most noted from movies is to place the absinthe in a glass placing a absinthe spoon over the glass and placing a sugar cube on the spoon pouring a little of the absinthe over the sugar cube the lighting it, then turning the spoon over and letting the sugar cube set the absinthe on fire the adding cold water to put the fire out. The later of the two ways is called the Boho method. This method came about in the late 19th century. Also laudaum was also added in both methods this is way to this day absinthe has gotten very bad PR. In present day laudaum is not added for the simple fact that it is a opium based drug, in the 19th century you could by it on almost any drug store over the counter. The Boho method was used by Artists, poets, and painters in the late 19th century to burn off the alcohol so they would get more of the thujone in their system. People such as Oscar Wilde, Van Gogh, and many other of that time peroid.
Remember that expectant life span is an average, and most people are below average
--Garrison Keillor

... The other way and the most noted from movies is to place the absinthe in a glass placing a absinthe spoon over the glass and placing a sugar cube on the spoon pouring a little of the absinthe over the sugar cube the lighting it, then turning the spoon over and letting the sugar cube set the absinthe on fire the adding cold water to put the fire out. The later of the two ways is called the Boho method. This method came about in the late 19th century. ...

More like the late 20th century.

"What about setting the sugar on fire?

You'll see that on TV, in movies and in the promotional material of certain products, usually "absinths". It is an abomination, looked upon
with disgust by all true absinthe enthusiasts. It has no logical or historical basis whatsoever. Do you want your drink to taste like burnt
sugar? Do you want to set yourself on fire? Absinthe burns almost as well as gasoline. The burning sugar "ritual" is, to borrow the words of
absinthe historian Benoit Noel, a "savage syncretism", born in the 1990s in the Czech Republic, born of the same ignorance that led the
"absinth" producers there to produce the awful swill that goes under the name. The intention was probably to piggyback on the late 1980’s
success of flaming sambuca and the like.

In summary, the original Czech producers knew as little about serving absinthe as making absinthe, so they made up their "tradition" as
they went along. Unfortunately, the movie From Hell, in which Inspector Aberline, played by Johhny Depp, not only burns his sugar but doses his drink with Laudanum (a solution of opium in alcohol), gave this savage syncretism worldwide play, and new legends die as
hard as old ones."

-http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-faq.html

Hum.... You are right about the absinthe burning very fast, I have never seen burn like gas, but I have only been drinking for about 10 years or so, I have never had the burnt sugar taste when I have drank it that way, Also a close family friend of mine is from France and as far back she knows and she has shown my faimly diaries that is how her family has always drank absinthe. Keeping in mind I do drink it both ways. I will not disagree with you on the fact that a book by an absinthe historian says that there in no logical or historical basis for it, I just know what I have read in 150 plus year old family diaries. Keeping in mind that the translation took a bit of work. I do not think it was as common as the movies play it up to be, I will yeild by saying the fact maybe the Burning sugar method may have been something that such a small amount of people did that it was not even worth talking about. I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong, I am not saying you are right and I am wrong I am saying that if done right both ways can be enjoyed.

I will also agree with you that the Absinthe that comes out of Czech Republic is swill and not worth drinking. I have read Oscar Wilde did add opium to his absinthe it never said if it was Laudanum or not I just figured it was laudanum. I think it was in The Book of Absinthe by Phil Baker or maybe Absinthe History in a Bottle by Barnaby Conrad not real sure with out going and looking it up.

Needless to say, how ever you drink your absinthe, is cool. I would like to know the name of any books that Benoit Noel has written. It sounds like he may make for a good read.
Remember that expectant life span is an average, and most people are below average
--Garrison Keillor