hungarianchick

Does anybody have a Tempur-Pedic?

I desperately need a new mattress. I'm fed up with tossing and turning all night on my ancient, -I don't wanna-know-who-slept-on-it-before-us- piece of crap.
I'm ready to bite the bullet and shell out the big bucks on a Tempur-Pedic, so I went on Epinions.
It turns out, it's not all dreamy, no pun intended. Some people adore it, some people hate it. Since it's heat sensitive, it can be rather hard in a cold room but when it warms up some people felt like they were sleeping in a steamy pit of quicksand.:S

So, does anybody have one and did it improve their quality of sleep?

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

don't have a tempurpedic but I have a sleep number bed. After 3 mattresses in 4 years, I got sick and tired of not being satisified and got the sleep number. I love it. My wife and I can adjust our individual sides to our liking. I'd highly recommend it. Not saying anthing bad about tempurpedic, just love my sleep number

We have a Tempur-Pedic Deluxe bed and it rocks. It's supportive but doesn't have pressure points and we can roll arround without waking each other up. I get a lot better sleep on it but switched from a worn-out sagging second-hand matress left over from my student days.

When we thought we'd be splitting our time between two places, we wanted another one but thought it was silly to pay that much for a piece of foam and bought an imitation (Angel bed) for half the price. That was less supportive , harder on top, and not comfortable to sleep on after a month so we sent it back. While it was shipped UPS, they vacuum bag them into a tiny bundle and you have to ship them back truck freight which meant building a box and $200+ in shipping.

You either love it or hate it. I thin kit comes with a 30 or 90 day trial period, so if you get one and don't like it, you don't have to keep it.

We have one and we love it.

Thanks. We'll have to try it first.
Did you sink into it as it warmed up with the body heat? Many people complained about that.

I wouldn't say you "sink" into it, but it does form more the longer you're on it. It stops though, it's not like you sink to the bottom or something.

It is ddeffineitly different than anything I've slept on, but you get used to it. We both liked it right away though, so maybe it's not a good idea to keep it if you have to tell yourself "maybe I'll get used to it ." Ya know?

We love ours. We've had it now for 3 years and wouldn't go back.

Its really saved us lately since my wife is in her third trimester and having a hard time getting comfortable in bed. Also - she gets up and down all night long and i never feel her move because the foam doesn't transfer motion from one side to the other.

We use the foam Tempur-Pedic pillows as well.

We have friends that bought theirs from Ebay and saved a bunch of money. They bought the "Sensor-Pedic" - I can tell no difference and they paid less than half of what we did.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I don't have a tempurpedic, but an angelbed (same foam). I have the bed at home and a 3" mattress topper over here and wouldn't be w/o either one!

Pros:
More natural sleeping position, it's easier on your back because the bed conforms to you and not vice versa.

You can move in the bed or get in / out without waking up anyone else - the bed doesn't move like a normal mattress will.

Cons:

Initial chemical smell from foam (lasts for about a week)

It sleeps warmer - you're more cradled by the foam, so it's warmer. It's no harder than a normal mattress, even in a cool room, and it softens quickly once you lay down on it.

Sleep movement - this is the 'bag of warm sand' thing - you're cradled by the mattress, so it's harder to change positions - this can take a couple weeks to get used to.

Price - they're not cheap, but they come with good long warrantees.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

love them for sho... but can't afford them..... their pillow awesome...

however Tempur-Pedic just feels warmer during hot ass summer.

but if you can afford to buy Tempur-P then you can afford to crank up some A/C...
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I'm familiar with the smell, I had a pair of 'bargain' memory foam pillows that stank all the way to the end. Eventually they've lost their support and ended up in the trash. Just a few more reasons I'm staying away from knock-offs.

More natural sleeping position, it's easier on your back because the bed conforms to you and not vice versa.

So, the "sinking in" feeling doesn't hurt your back more? I have lower back problems and usually feel better in the morning if the mattress is a little on the firm side.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I took delivery yesterday of a $2000.oo Chiro-paedic matress 15 years on a futon was long enough.
It 's possibly the best matress on the planet (for me) I havnt slept so well in god knows how long.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So, the "sinking in" feeling doesn't hurt your back more? I have lower back problems and usually feel better in the morning if the mattress is a little on the firm side.

We got a cheaper version of the same foam stuff but it's more firm and I love it. I'm not sure of the brand but I can look when I'm home later. The problem came a few months later when my lower back pain (L2 and L3 twisted, disk between is compressed and bulging) was so much less than it had been I didn't do my exercises and threw it out again! :S

I'd suggest going to a big store and trying the different brands. The Tempur-Pedic ones bothered me cuz they felt like I was never gonna stop sinking!

P.S. My father also has bad lower back problems and swears by his Sleep Number with a memory foam topper.

I have lower back problems, too. A firm mattress, or laying on the floor, will cause your hips to tilt to the side (or upward, if you're on your back) which can aggravate lower back problems. The mattress gives underneath you to conform to your shape, sort of like digging a hollow for your hip under your sleeping mate when you're camping out.

That said, some people will be stiff/sore for a couple weeks. Because of the mattress hollowing out, there's a bit of resistance when you change position. Until you adjust to it, there's a tendency to not move, which can make you a bit stiff and sore in the morning.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I took delivery yesterday of a $2000.oo Chiro-paedic matress 15 years on a futon was long enough.
It 's possibly the best matress on the planet (for me) I havnt slept so well in god knows how long.

That's the one with the individual pocketed coils, right? Those are damned good mattresses, too.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That's the one with the individual pocketed coils, right? Those are damned good mattresses, too.
it has 5 spring zones, for comforming to the bodies various weight regions.
My futon was comfy, but NOTHING compared to this:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

[replySo, the "sinking in" feeling doesn't hurt your back more? I have lower back problems and usually feel better in the morning if the mattress is a little on the firm side.

Laura and I both have back and neck problems and have both had surgeries in the past. We wouldn't consider anything other than the tempurpedic. I have never slept so well in my life. The support is fantastic and I never toss and turn anymore.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

The tempur-pedic is designed to conform to your body, allowing your spine to be straight while you sleep. Not bending somehow like a regular matress.

You don't "sink in" per se.

We splurged and got the Tempur-pedic Rhaspody bed with the adjustable base and massager action. I slept on it for the first time last night. Let me just say...

Oh
My
God!
B|

For the first time in I don't know how long, I didn't wake up with a backache or spend time tossing and turning during the night. Thanks to the reviews on here, we paid extra for a higher end model for the dual air vents so it wouldn't be hot. My son laid on it and after about 10 seconds he said he was going to put a Tempur-pedic on his Christmas list. Now we just have to find a way to pay for it before March of 2009. :ph34r:

Oh, and I don't know about other states but here in FL if you have a doctor's note saying that you have spinal issues and need to buy a new mattress, you don't have to pay sales tax. That saved a few hundred dollars!

By the way, there is going to be a price increase on Sept. 12, from what I hear.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon