kirrz

Getting container stitched?

I have a Dolphin D3 1998 that I had sent to the manufacturer so it has now been re-constructed with the tuck tabs.. (so you know what it looks like)..

I really want to get my name stitched onto it. As I was feeling around the container for possible places (bottom of lower reserve flap? one of the side flaps on the main compartment?) I noticed that the back of the material, althought not thick at all, has a sort of plasticy feel to it.. I was wondering whether it would compromise safety in any way to have my name stitched onto it.

Also, does anyone (who is familiar with the rig) have any suggestions as to where on the rig I should get it done? Do I need to tell the person stitching it anything?

Cheers!

I have a Dolphin D3 1998 that I had sent to the manufacturer so it has now been re-constructed with the tuck tabs.. (so you know what it looks like)..

I really want to get my name stitched onto it. As I was feeling around the container for possible places (bottom of lower reserve flap? one of the side flaps on the main compartment?) I noticed that the back of the material, althought not thick at all, has a sort of plasticy feel to it.. I was wondering whether it would compromise safety in any way to have my name stitched onto it.

Also, does anyone (who is familiar with the rig) have any suggestions as to where on the rig I should get it done? Do I need to tell the person stitching it anything?

Cheers!

Send the rig back to Altico and have mike replace a flap with a new one with your name on it. It's the best and safest way to ensure the work is done correctly. It will also help ensure a neat and professional job is done.

Mick.

Another option might be to have Altico send you a replacement ring cover(mud flap) for your rig and then find a properly rated and skilled riggere to install it for you.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Another option might be to have Altico send you a replacement ring cover(mud flap) for your rig and then find a properly rated and skilled riggere to install it for you.

What you sugges is probably the most reasonable and least expensive idea. I've made new mud-flaps for folks after having their name embroidered on a piece of Cordura. I've also re-built top reserve pin cover flaps for the same reason.

Chuck

Would I order that from Altico? Or from any gear dealer?
(Sorry if that is a stupid question.. I'm still jumping student gear and still learning about my rig & all its parts)

Any reputable gear dealer should be able to help you out, but be sure and check with your rigger for compatibility (great time to ask other questions and find out more about your life-saving equipment :)

make sure whoever stiches it on takes the canopies out before stiching the container

???

if a canopy gets sewn to a container while replacing a mudflap, the jumper will definitley notice during gear up.

i kinda like the custom cutaway handle idea.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

I don't have any canopies in there at all yet ..

The cutaway pillow idea is great, it makes it easy to replace for resale too!

Thanks Dave, I'll track down Rory next time I'm at the DZ! :)

If he can't do it, I'd be pretty sure Parachutes Australia can.

Patrick also did not sew his canopy to his container. It was a line that was caught by a lace/cable that connected a deflector flap to his rig. There was no sewing involved when he did this. It was simply a cable passing through about an inch of the bottom of his container that was threaded in by hand.

Cheers,
Travis