NM767

Just completed AFF. Are the bruises normal?

I just completed AFF at the Parachute Center in Lodi CA last week. Had a blast. It was very fast paced and there was alot more to learn then I anticipated but all went well. Now I need to get a rig intended for my size. Im 6'4" and the DZ chutes don't seem to offer much padding on the leg straps for guys my size. Now I have huge monster bruises on my legs. Oh well chicks dig scars right?

Attatched a few pics from my tandems, dont have any of my solos. Oh and one of the bruise. Does anyone else bruise like this? Its on the inner left thigh.

Hello from a fellow Lodi AFF graduate! I did AFF there in March.

When you start packing for yourself, you can probably alter your pack jobs, i.e., rolling noses and whatnot to slow your opening and lessen the impact on the body.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Well im about 6'4" tall and weigh about 240 lbs. The rigs ive been using are for my weight but not my height so the padding just doesnt work. Oh well still worth until I can get my own. About how much does a rig cost. I know thats probably a hard question to answer due to the different types and brand and also used vs new but just a ballpark figure of what I might be looking at.

The bruising has more to do with how the legs straps are adjusted (not how tight they are) than whether the rigs is custom made for you. Padding and slower openings will help but it won't cure the problem if the leg straps are not properly adjusted.

Your body doesn't get use to it. After thousand of jumps I still get a bruise on VERY RARE occasions when I hurry and don't take time to adjust the leg straps properly. You will learn how to adjust your leg straps properly over time to prevent this.

Custom-made rigs sized for your size & shape of body will go a long way; but chances are, your first "new to you" rig will be second-hand, for affordability's sake. Proper leg strap is adjustment important, as others have said. But don't under-value good leg strap padding; that helps a lot, too. Go to an auto parts store and get a couple of those thick, fleecy seat belt pads pads, (like these) , and add them to the leg straps of any rig you jump. Another thing that some people do is put thick oven mitts under their jumpsuit at the inner thighs. For some reason, chicks dig the pink ones. ;)

Custom-made rigs sized for your size & shape of body will go a long way; but chances are, your first "new to you" rig will be second-hand, for affordability's sake. Proper leg strap is adjustment important, as others have said. But don't under-value good leg strap padding;

I'm 6'4" & 240...and I never had a 'used' rig that fit me right, my body shape dictates a much longer MLW than usually seen.

One thing that also helps quite a bit is sitting up when you pull, transfers the opening shock and makes it less of a snap into vertical.

I did go all out on my latest custom rig, 'Tandem Harness' leg-strap option...the padding is thicker and wider than anything I've ever jumped before! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...the padding is thicker and wider than anything I've ever jumped before! B|

Too many options for response here.B|;)

I'll leave it alone.:)

One fat chick...Nail just ONE fat chick ~ and the rest of yer life... >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The problem is caused by leg pads sliding the last few inches up your thighs during opening shock.
If the leg pads were high in your crotch - a the start of opening shock - that would eliminate most of the bruising.
Try adjusting your leg pads so they ride high in your crotch, before boarding the plane.
Double check that your leg pads are still riding high a couple of minutes before exit.

Try adjusting your leg pads so they ride high in your crotch, before boarding the plane.
Double check that your leg pads are still riding high a couple of minutes before exit.

If you can sing the aria from Madama Butterfly, your legs straps are properly adjusted.

Yes, AFF and rental gear jumps bruised the heck out of my thighs it's normal. Since I got my own rig I've never been bruised.

The bruising has more to do with how the legs straps are adjusted (not how tight they are) than whether the rigs is custom made for you. Post #8.

Soon as you can, buy your own gear. Student gear is infamous for discomfort and leaving bruises, regardless of the dropzone. When you buy your own rig, you'll almost certainly be getting one with a step-in harness, i.e. without B-2 snaps for the leg straps. The padding on just about ANY step-in rig is better than a lot of student gear.

Buying your own gear will also offer you the OPPORTUNITY to pack it every jump, which will help you develop an intimacy with your rig that every skydiver NEEDS to have.

As for the bruises, well....this is a sport that can maim or KILL you. Bruises will happen, learn to enjoy them ! When's the last time you got a bruise watching TV ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !