bigway

Rugby world cup part 2

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4199356a2201.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/westcoast/4206217a6662.html

Every single world cup we here the same crap from english supporters. What suprises me this time is hearing an emglishman who spends time in New Zealand also saying this crap. Stumpy, if anyone, you shold know New Zealand is full of samoans and tongans, I cant believe you have now said this crap.

Woah - chill out. it was a couple of my kiwi friends telling me about some of this stuff. The fact remains that a lot of tongan/samoan players with promise move to NZ to play their competitive rugby and hopefully get picked for the all blacks. I don't blame them, small islands dont have much of a competition. I just thought it was pretty funny you commenting on the USA team!!

Four years ago we were the best team in the world, this year it could be you. (It sure as hell isnt us this time!)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Actually 4 years ago you were only ever the second best team in the world.
England has never made the number one ranking team in the world despite winning the world cup.

Sure you were the holders of the world cup but you were never the best according to rankings. Also New Zealand thrashed you only one month after that world cup final.

4 years ago England had the best player in the world and england played some excellent rugby. Actually, i thought their rugby was rubbish, then they played the final against Australia and played some of the best rugby i had seen in a long time.

You go to excuse me mate but but i am sick of hearing the british say that we steal players from other countries when all blacks usually live in new zealand from at least the age of 3 years old.

As far as what I was saying about the USA team, those players are there to only play rugby, they are not there to live their life in that country like the samoans and tongans who live in new zealand, england, Japan, Australia etc.

However there are some great players in that USA team that will become superstars after this world cup and i imagine they will move back to their home countries now as they have now made their mark.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

As for Argentina, They have always been good. BAck in the 90s they were a great team and they have always had a very strong pack.
As for argentina joining the tri nations... That will never happen.

Argentina have always been good, they've never been great, although they've now got some real skill to go with their scrum and physicality.

So why will they never join the Tri-Nations? Because NZ, SA and Oz unions will continue being too selfish?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Actually 4 years ago you were only ever the second best team in the world.
England has never made the number one ranking team in the world despite winning the world cup.

Sure you were the holders of the world cup but you were never the best according to rankings. Also New Zealand thrashed you only one month after that world cup final.

4 years ago England had the best player in the world and england played some excellent rugby. Actually, i thought their rugby was rubbish, then they played the final against Australia and played some of the best rugby i had seen in a long time.

Bwaaahaaahaahahahahaahahah!:D

Now lets talk about rugby fans talking bollocks!:D Never ranked first - that is funny. Try looking it up. And yes, we were beaten by NZ just after the world cup.... with most of our squad either retired or injured! How about we talk about the unbeaten tour England took to NZ and Oz in the summer before that world cup eh?

I was in NZ during that tour and I'd forgotten just how much Kiwi fans can whinge when it comes to England:ph34r: It was 4 whole years ago and you still can't bring yourself to admit that England were the best!

Not selfish at all. you guys have your 5 nations and your heinekin cup.

The reason i say this is because we have a super 14 competition that comprises of teams from new zealand, soth africa and australia. So the tri nations is consisting of the same teams that are in the super 14.

Just like your heinekin cup and 5 nations.

Also another big reason is that there is no room for any more rugby game in a year.

Players have far too many tests each year plus having to play super 14 and also having to represent their provincial clubs in the NPC and then also having to represent their local club in games. They have no room in the year to make the tri nations bigger and the tri nations are for the teams in the super 14.

I dont know if you know but a few years ago the England rugby union proposed for south africa and australia to give up the tri nations and have a tri nations with england, south afric and australia and not inviting new zealand.

I think you are way out of line calling the tri nations selfish considering we are not invited to your 5 nations or heinekin cup.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

you find my comment funny?

Ok. please try looking it up and show me what month of what year were England ever ranked as the number one team in the world? It sure as hell was not the same year they won the rugby world cup. If i am mistaken then i am sorry but look it up.

Show me the link where it shows england were the IRB ranked number one team in the world.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

By the way, i never said you guys have not beaten Australia or new zealand, and i never said you did not have an unbeaten summer. All i said was you were never ranked the number 1 team in the world.
I like english rugby, it is real grass roots. I am taking facts though, not putting england down at all.

You are right, i can not admit england were the best in the world because official ranking to my knowledge say different.

However i did say that they played one of the finest games of rugby i have ever seen so i am not winging about english rugby, ther is nothing to winge about when it comes to england rugby.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Not selfish at all. you guys have your 5 nations and your heinekin cup.

Count again.

I think you are way out of line calling the tri nations selfish considering we are not invited to your 5 nations or heinekin cup.

No I'm not. The European nations tournament has, over the years, expanded as and when a new nation has shown itself becoming capable of competing. Argentina are now capable of competing, and they've been begging to be included in a major tournament for years, if not decades. The revenue and competition would be invaluable for them. If you think it should be tied to the Super 14, then give Argentina a couple of Super 14 franchises, problem solved.

we also opened up from our yealy Bledisloe cup to include South Africa and make it a tri nations cup.

If you think Argentina have the funds to provide 4-5 teams into the super 14 then you should tell them to try and join it.
I am not the person in charge of it.
However i do not believe their is enough time in the year to add more teams to the tri nations or the super 14 considering the all black and the australian team players are already complaining that they are worn out as it is.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

so they did. My mistake. I am still very sure they never ranked number 1.

If you are a rugby fan as i think you are surely you can admit that the winner of the world cup does not decide who is the best team in the world.
If it did decide this do you not think England should have played the All Blacks in the last world cup?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

IRB rankings: (previous position in brackets)

1 (1) England 90.24 points
2 (2) New Zealand 89.8
3 (4) Ireland 84.95
4 (3) Australia 84.76
5 (5) France 83.57
6 (6) South Africa 80.63
7 (7) Argentina 78.02
8 (8) Wales 76.92
9 (9) Samoa 74.67
10 (10) Scotland 74.54

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

, then give Argentina a couple of Super 14 franchises, problem solved.

I would support that as a starting place.

Side note: I seem to remember someone suggesting a "Gondwanaland" series a few years back, Gondwanaland being the original mother of the Southern Hemisphere.

If you are a rugby fan as i think you are surely you can admit that the winner of the world cup does not decide who is the best team in the world.
If it did decide this do you not think England should have played the All Blacks in the last world cup?

Yes, I completely agree.

Of course, as you've just found out, England were the best team in the world in 2003 as well as world champions. And if we'd met NZ in the final they would have imploded just as spectacularly as they did against Oz in the semi's:P

Yes, I completely agree.

Of course, as you've just found out, England were the best team in the world in 2003 as well as world champions. And if we'd met NZ in the final they would have imploded just as spectacularly as they did against Oz in the semi's:P

Maybe, then again maybe not. We had a very good team who had one bad game. However do remember england did not really imlode, they played the usual standard Australia played and won with a drop goal. They won fair and square for sure but i would not say they played better than australia, i think they just had a better kicker who's team got him in an awesome position to win the game.
That game was equally as good from both sides.

Anyway, lets look to the future. Was enjoying this thread. sorry if bought it down a notch.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

i would support it too but i dont think it is fair on the players. There is no time for any more.

Tri nations players do not get anytime off as it is. How far are we wanting to push our athletes?

You are right, of course. I was speaking from a rugby fan's point of view. The Argentinians play a very exciting brand of rugby.

Another problem I foresee is similar to what is happening in cricket. Some of the minnows get just good enough to be given Test-status, but are never a real and consistent threat to the 'established' sides. Looking at the current rugby world cup, there are several 'minnows' knocking on the door and if one or more of them want 'in' on the world stage, the calender is going to get very cramped indeed.

Maybe, then again maybe not. We had a very good team who had one bad game. However do remember england did not really imlode, they played the usual standard Australia played and won with a drop goal.

I meant that NZ would have imploded, just as they did against Oz and France did against us:P Having an outrageously flamboyant #10 can be a good thing, but both NZ and France found out what happens when it goes wrong;) BTW, England had a very good team who played a lot of bad games in that tounament, yet still found a way to win all of them. That was really the difference, wasn't it?

Back to the tri-nations, in 2006 the format was changed so that each nation plays the other two 3 times, that's 6 fixtures per nation. If Argentina join and it reverts to a 2 tie format then each nation still plays 6 games in total. No extra fatigue issues.

Also, fatigue issues didn't stop the 12 becoming 14 when Oz and SA were the ones getting extra teams;)

we play tonga and samoa and fiji often. I think england should play portugal and other minnows teams on their side of the world every couple of years.

New Zealand does alot for rugby in this world. We should be the last people who are called selfish.

15 kiwis are in the samoan squad, many more in the tongan squad. (NZ born).
We also have NZ born in the fijian squad.
We coach Japan and use to coach argentina, scotland and Italy.
We coach the USA team.
We are now sending a ton of all blacks to france and England to play club rugby (letting them out of contracts).
We have always had kiwis play for Japan.

I am very proud of NZ rugby and what New Zealand do for rugby on the world stage.

As far as the minnow teams are concerned.... I think they need to start playing the World 7 asid comps and them join in the world stage with their 15 aside teams.
They get more chance and more exposure and lots more games.

NZ is the

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

No but 12 turnning to 14 was not very welcome by the players.

By the way, the most important game in the world to New Zealand rugby is the Bledisloe cup. That is a cup that takes three matches.
When the tri nations started it went to 2 games. It is not back to three games and that is good for the Bledisloe cup that is so important to us.

I personally hope they do not change a thing about any of the competitions.

To be honest NZ playing england a couple of times a year would lose viewers and supporters as to be honest all the kicking that england does is very boring to kiwis, aussies and SA.

When we play England it is not the sort of game you want tickets for or you will drop plans for like when playing OZ or SA.

I am pretty sure SA and OZ rugby supporters will say the same.

Tri Nations and super 14 to me is the most exciting game on the planet.
I personally lived in the UK for 4 years up until last year and that was the only 4 years of my life that i have not been excited about rugby.
I grew up playing rugby, I have toured Australia, I have played at the NZ 7 aside champs in fiji and have represented Auckland under 16's and under 19's. and Counties, manukau high school squad.
I love rugby, The only reason i mention those teams is so i can show you how much rugby means to me.

While in the UK i found the game alot slower than the tri nations but i did see france bringing speed to the game. The kicking game really bores me and I am only interested to watch NZ play england when it is a world cup match.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store