CanuckInUSA

Questions about Islandia New York

The large corporation I work for is closing its offices here in Calgary Alberta and they have offered me the opportunity to transfer to a position at their Islandia New York offices. Are there any opinions concerning what life (skydiving and non skydiving) may be like in Islandia?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Ask Broke... He lives not far away from there. I've heard of a DZ on Long Island, but I have no idea if it's still open. The Ranch and Cross Keys are your best bets, if you don't mind the bridge tolls getting there and back.

At least you have a nice microbrewery restaurant nearby in Lake Grove called John Harvard's. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The Ranch or Crosskeys are the two big DZs in the general NY area and one would need to determine the commute as well as the vibes of each establishment to see which one would be preferred over the other. Plus DZ.COM is showing a Long Island Skydiving DZ (their web page still works so that is a good sign), but it's a Cessna DZ (good for hop n' pops) and I have no idea about the rest of the situation there.

However ... I do want to point out that I am not living remotely close to the skydiving hub of the world and while there are closer DZs (nothing but Cessna DZs where I am), the best fun jumper friendly DZ in Alberta is a 3 1/2 hour drive from where I am living and I have learned that there is more to life than just skydiving and any potential move to the Long Island region will be influenced by many factors. After all if I really wanted to dedicate my life towards jumping, I would sell my house, become trailer trash and move to some southern DZ. But that would mean being an illegal resident of the US.

I will send Broke a PM to see if he? she? has any input on the matter. But please if anyone else any opinions (positive or negative) about life in the Islandia New York area, please speak up.

Sheeeeeeeeat, man! Anything in the states is cool for a crazy canuck! I mean...it's a free pass and all...:)
Hope to hear from you (if and) when yer back, bro! Good luck. I don't know anything about anywhere near there.:P

I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

Hey Chester, too bad the transfer wasn't to Denver, Boulder, Broomfield or Fort Collins. It would be a no brainer then. I hope all is well with you and everyone else at MH. I without a doubt miss the good times I had in my 8 great years in Colorado.

Now a job is a job is a job. They come and go. But I am only entertaining this potential transfer as a chance for permanent residency. Of course a certain DZ.COMer (who is attractive I might add) has offered to marry me for this permanent residency (hard to tell if she was serious). It's just a complex issue, there is no love (at least right now) and I always told myself I would never marry someone for the sake of a green card. News at eleven. I have a about 7 days to figure this transfer out. Time to take off my Mr. Procrastinator hat. :o

Skydive long island has been operating for years.
(at least 10 that I know of)

they have a turbine.

they are open from approx april-nov.
I don;t know exact dates.

I've jumped there on a few occasions and had a great time.
I've seen some traffic but nothing that I would be too concerned with, they arent idiots, they don't jump if theres other aircraft in their path.

It is locate at the old grumman airport. It's a hike but I dont think it would but 2 hours.

If I was in Islandia I would probably call SDLI home and do the other two once a month or 6 weeks.
BTW- the landing area is fucking huge with LOTS of outs. Not that you should need it but its something thats very obvious when you get to the dz.
My photos

My Videos

Lons Island Skydive center pretty much just caters to tandems, and nothing else. Unless you have a D liscence. For the rest of us the closest DZ is SDLI. I'll keep my opinion to myself about the place because last time I said something I got in a world of shit. All I will say is that there is a reasion I have visited so many Dropzones at my low jump number. Although I think I found a home.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Thanks JT ... I have received some good info so far from people like Broke, McBeth and Kenz about the area. But keep it coming. The more people I hear from the better and I am all for hearing the good and not so good aspects about the area.

Were you not whining about finding a way to LEGALLY through work come to the USA just around a year ago when you had to go back to canuckland from Colorado? What are you waiting for? This doesn't sound like it should be that hard of a decision unless skydiving is taking a lesser role in your life.

VERY TRUE!
I havent had to use it in 10 years but I can only imagine it has only gotten worse and more populated

Think El Salvadorian explosion from CI and Brenthood
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I do see better skydiving opportunities at the Ranch and Crosskeys over where I currently am. In fact the Ranch has a pond and doesn't Crosskeys also have one too? But it is a little more difficult than just jumping. There is everyday life + work. After all it is work that presents the opportunity. Plus I am still not sure about my house up here in Canuckville. I've got low debt on it and it is worth some money. But it needs more work before I can sell it and while it wouldn't take too much effort in the time frame that I have to paint the house and replace the carpets and light fixtures. But I don't have the time to reno the kitchen and bathrooms like I really should. I guess I need to call in a realtor sometime soon to get an assessment of the house's condition. Plus I have an old pet that needs to be considered.

I'm pretty much on the fence here 1/2 leaning towards taking the opportunity and the other 1/2 saying no ... but it would be nice to get back into some good old time jumping.

I know Islandia well. My first job out of college was there. I'm guessing you work for Computer Associates? Islandia is very centrally located to almost everything LI has to offer. Of itself, it's kind of an 'eh' area mostly due to it being more of an industrial town. Everything is a short drive on Long Island, if you don't hit traffic. You'll find it to be considerably more expensive than the norm in the US, but salaries tend to be higher. LI is known for beautiful beaches, great boating, easy access to NYC and the east end. It is also known for being crowded and overrun by strip malls. It does have a thriving economy with the exception of perhaps the real estate market. That's definitely going through a major correction. You would call it a buyer's market, but if you compare it to the overall country, you still get less for your money. Even in the funky neighborhoods, crap homes are still a couple hundred thousand dollars. Middle class areas are generally 500K to a million and there's a ton of multi-million dollar estates if you are so inclined. Real estate taxes are higher than the norm also. I can't speak for Skydive LI as I was not involved at all in skydiving back when I lived there.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. I lived there (not Islandia though) for 27 years.

Good luck Steve.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I will be sending my HR person some questions later in the day since some details have yet to be ironed out. Specificially I need to ensure that my salary keeps pace with the new "cost of living" environment I could find myself in. Secondly I need to find out the time frame they would expect such a transition to occur in. My concern here is fixing up my current house so that I can place it on the market and get a decent price for it.

Question: How is the rental market out there? I doubt very much that I would want to purchase a replacement house, at least not at this time. Is the rental market tight? Low vacancies? Maybe Chris can not answer this question if he is not on Long Island right now, but someone else maybe?

PS: Yes the employer is "Computer Associates".

I worked in Islandia (Ronkonkoma technically) for a few years. It's a so-so place to work. Good access but you have to go a ways to get anywhere. The Connetquot park is cool. Lots of good delis. Housing is expensive

I jumped at SDLI for two years when I first started. Getting two jumps from 7500 on a busy weekend was a good weekend. Back then they had 1-2 cessna 182's (one for a while, then two for a while, then one crashed.)

I haven't been back since they moved to Calverton, so can't help you there.

Rent is also higher than the norm. It really depends on what town you choose to live in. I have no idea how tight the rental market is. Newsday is the main newspaper for LI. Checking it out online would be a good start, not to mention the various real estate websites.

If you have any questions about specific towns, let me know. I'll be glad to give you my opinion.

LIke I said I grew up in Smithtown.

One thing I forgot to mention is there is some really good single track on long Island. From Islandia you can ride the greenbelt up to the north shore where it ends in sunken meadow park that is an awesome ride, or you can head south where it ends in Hecksher state park. The trails are a very varried terrain. From Single track to multi track from hardpack to mud to sand. Hilly, flat, and covered in roots. I used to go out for 7 hour rides when I was a teen. I would come home covered in mud collapse after eating then shower and go back to sleep
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

small world i grew up in setauket:P

canuck my mom is a realtor if you need any more help i'll pass along her info, she can probably help you out too

"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

small world i grew up in setauket

Small island, I grew up in Northport/Fort Salonga.:o

ya know i would never have passed the two of you as lawn guylanders - as i don't consider myself a typical one either :) but yes very small world/island

broke which preserve are you referring to? if you crazies are in town for turkey day - we should all grab a few brews - mcbeth that goes for you too!!!
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me