BigSky

Bug spray on canopy

After a long day of jumping on Sunday I didn't feel like packing, So last night im packing and I noticed my canopy smells very strongly like bug spray. Im thinking to my self, what the hell, and I realized I had been loading up my legs with bug spray all day on sunday.

I was wearing shorts and then s-folding up my canopy with this stuff all over my legs. Anyone think this could actually be a problem?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

After a long day of jumping on Sunday I didn't feel like packing, So last night im packing and I noticed my canopy smells very strongly like bug spray. Im thinking to my self, what the hell, and I realized I had been loading up my legs with bug spray all day on sunday.

I was wearing shorts and then s-folding up my canopy with this stuff all over my legs. Anyone think this could actually be a problem?

I was just wondering the same thing about sunscreen..

If it doesn't melt your skin I don't think it's going to be much of a problem on nylon. You can use somthing like isopropol rubbing alchohol to break down any thick deposits.

Mick.

If it doesn't melt your skin I don't think it's going to be much of a problem on nylon.

I'm not so sure. I've used bug spray that didn't melt my skin, but did melt the rubber nose pieces on my glasses. I've also seen it take the varnish off a guitar, but not melt skin.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

What is DEET? and would it be in bugspray?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I wouldn't count on it. Riggers, in spite of popular opinion, don't know everything.;) I wouldn't expect any rigger to necessarily be able to tell if nylon was damaged by DEET. While this kind of contamination probably occurs often, unless it was specifically noticed and looked at, a rigger may never have had experience with this. And uncoated nylon can loose all of it's tensile strength without having any noticeable change in feel or look.

I found conflicting references on whether DEET damages nylon or not. But it is soluble in isopropanol (IPA, rubbing alcohol). I'd use paper towel wetted with IPA and wipe the area of the canopy contaminated. I'd only wipe once with any single paper towel. Otherwise you'd just be smearing it around. Do this a few times. Have a rigger tensile test the fabric and repeat the test a few days or couple of weeks later and maybe a couple of months later. This would give it a chance to degrade if it was going to.

Terry Urban
Member American Chemical SocietyB|

I was in contact with Moreflex, the main supplier of deet while writing an article about modern skydiving myths a few months ago. (they produce the deet, companies like "Off" buy it and put it in theier product)

According to Moreflex, deet does not damage nylon sample that they have tested. It should be noted that coated nylon like zp has not been tested by the company.

Moreflex did, however, give a simple test to check for damage. Wash the affected area with soapy water (mild soap for parachutes) and feel for "stickyness" or "tackyness". It was suggested that pvc material can be used as a benchmark for this test as deet is a good solvent for this material.

Just a side note from Moerflex "Since the materials of construction involved in the skydiving area are somewhat specialized, I would highly recommend testing each of these materials with DEET to determine the compatibilities." (just respecting thier disclaimer)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Wow thanks for the info. I will check the canopy out and see what it looks like.

C-Man,

I was about to suggest the pull-test thing, but you beat me to it.

Question though... I was taught, you don't pull the same spot on a canopy twice... ergo, part of the reason you mark the spot. Not pulling the same spot twice being true, in the case of a localized problem like maybe getting some DEET on your main, if you're going to re-test again later, how close to the original spot do you think is too close?