mnealtx

Runner breaks leg, crawls across finish line!

That's a gutsy young lady!!

Berkshire senior, Claire Markward, finished her final race despite breaking her leg in two places with 150 yards left to run.

Driven by determination, a local runner from Burton Township, breaks her leg during a cross country meet, but still makes it across the finish line.

Claire Markwardt is a cross country runner for the Berkshire High School track team. She was participating in the Ohio state high school cross country championship in Columbus November third, then had plans to be maid of honor at her sister's wedding that evening.

"I was fine until about 200 meters away and then it started to hurt and then it cracked a couple times," says Claire. The amazing finish was captured by several cameras.

Claire made it within forty feet of the finish line when her leg broke. She tried to get up, but it broke again.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Any idea what caused the break?

No idea. Best uneducated guess is she had stress or hairline fractures and kept running on them, then the hairlines started opening up from the repeated pounding and just shattered. The picture of her falling with the foot at an unnatural position just reminded me of Tyrone Prothro's injury in the Bama-Florida game a few years ago. Ugh... B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's actually more sensible to just lie down and cry for help in a situation like that. It was just a race.

That's what I would have done, and indeed have done on one occation.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

No idea. Best uneducated guess is she had stress or hairline fractures and kept running on them, then the hairlines started opening up from the repeated pounding and just shattered.

That's what I'm thinking. But the people I've known with stress fractures always ended up at the doctors office in pain before the bone completely broke. Maybe she just had a higher tolerance for pain than most people. Sounds like that was a disadvantage here.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

No idea. Best uneducated guess is she had stress or hairline fractures and kept running on them, then the hairlines started opening up from the repeated pounding and just shattered.

That's what I'm thinking. But the people I've known with stress fractures always ended up at the doctors office in pain before the bone completely broke. Maybe she just had a higher tolerance for pain than most people. Sounds like that was a disadvantage here.

Could be right, or she just blocked the pain out since this was the state championship cross country meet. I know from experience. I developed a bad case of achilles heel tendonitis in both feet during my last year of running, right after finishing a 3:29 marathon. I had a couple more goals to get and I was damned if I was gonna stop before I got them. Finally gave up at the end of a 10K race months later. My feet hurt every day, but not between the starting gun and crossing the finish line. That last one, after I finished, I could barely walk. My feet felt like they were on fire.

Took a whole year for the pain to go away completely once I stopped running. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I can relate. I ran CC in High School and in one race back in Charlottesville, Virgina it was really hot. I don't remember but apparently I collapsed with Heat Exhaustion about 100 yards from the finish, I guess I should have had more water. Mind you I don't remember really anything from the later part of the race and was told I fell, got up fell again and then started crawling towards the line. When you run in a competitive situation, or just are a competitive person, it really seems to be able to take over your thinking. I guess after not having thought about it for 20 years I am pissed that the bastards pulled me off the course.. How dare they, I could have crawled to the finish if the broken leg runner could. I am going to file a post race protest! :P

Hope she is OK though..

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

That's someone who doesn't think of the consequences of their actions:

* 2 surgeries
* Missed her sister's wedding
* Rehab and pain

I guess she has to ask herself, was the fame and pain worth it? [:/]

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I don't know; once the bone started cracking, it's my guess that her day was pretty well ruined anyway. It looked like it all happened pretty fast. There might not have been time for her to do anything (like stop running) from the time she heard the crack, anyway.
TPM Sister #102

* 2 surgeries
* Rehab and pain

I'm SURE that's what she was doing it for...the FAME.

I guess the lesson here is just to quit when things end up being harder than expected... :S

Has this place always been so negative?!

* 2 surgeries
* Rehab and pain

I'm SURE that's what she was doing it for...the FAME.

I guess the lesson here is just to quit when things end up being harder than expected... :S

Has this place always been so negative?!

A lot of people don't think of the short term and long term consequences of their actions or inactions. [:/] If she had thought of them and still made that choice, then she's at least making an informed decision. Not one I'd make, but that's her call.

It's all Risk vs. Reward. Why some people do certain things but don't do others.

Some people would say the same thing about you. You risk a hell of a lot more than a broken leg (at her age not a big deal) everytime you jump.

Do you think about the consequences of your jumping everytime you exit? Is the fame and possible pain worth it?

Jesus lay off the poor girl. It was her last race and she was 150 yards from the finish line. Crawling over the line didn't do anything to her leg that wasn't already done.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

You're exactly right about people considering the consequences of their actions...but in this case, I guess I am far more impressed by her toughness/spirit then then the 'shock' of her broken leg of what was "best" regarding the race.

Long term, she'll make a 100% recovery from her injury and have a great story and something to be proud of for the rest of her life.

From her interview, I think she would've felt far worse giving up on herself and her team then the broken leg.

On one hand, it's just a race...and just a broken leg...

:P

Some people would say the same thing about you. You risk a hell of a lot more than a broken leg (at her age not a big deal) everytime you jump.

Do you think about the consequences of your jumping everytime you exit? Is the fame and possible pain worth it?

Yes. To me the reward (the feeling and the fun, not the fame ;)) is worth the risk to me. Each person can decide their own limits, but many times it's done without knowing the risks.

Jesus lay off the poor girl. It was her last race and she was 150 yards from the finish line. Crawling over the line didn't do anything to her leg that wasn't already done.

I was more thinking of the fact she broke her leg and tried to run again. If she had stayed down the first time she might not have hurt it as bad. Maybe she could have crawled without injuring it further. I'll admit I don't know much first aid, but I do with any injury the first thing you want to do is immobolize it.