Gary73

Minimum Provocation for Violence?

Self defence or defence of others. Hitting first is OK if you are absolutely certain the person is not going to let you walk away.

No, that's knifing first. If someone is going to attack me and I haven't provoked them or kept the ball rolling, then they're getting effing shanked with the specific goal of putting them down for good. The End. If it was mutual combat or I did something that purposefully provoked the other person then I would choose to fight them fist to fist (as long as they didn't have a weapon). But in my mind there's a huge difference between the two situations.
Gravity Waits for No One.

If someone is going to attack me and I haven't provoked them or kept the ball rolling, then they're getting effing shanked with the specific goal of putting them down for good. The End.

So if some belligerent drunk in a bar makes an aggressive move toward you..you stab him to death ?

I think they gotta law against that...:ph34r:

But it's okay, braggin' about the premeditated intent on the world wide web only bumps it up one notch. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Where is the "For being an Ohio State fan" option ??? Most of them wouldn't know the meaning of the phrase 'philosophical differences'.

Don

Are you still bitter? :D

I've never understood the people who would "kick someones' ass" for something material like messing with their car. If someone was about to hurt me or someone I cared about ... hell, even someone I didn't care about but couldn't defend themselves... then I think I'd do something. Otherwise... violence never solved anything :)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

If someone is going to attack me and I haven't provoked them or kept the ball rolling, then they're getting effing shanked with the specific goal of putting them down for good.

I would still try to use hands if I could. If threatened I will simply act passive so the guy feels in complete control and has his guard down. Then he gets a cheap shot and I run as fast as I can, but first I wil make sure to hit him while he is down as much as neccessary to ensure that he stays down long enough for me to get at least a ten block lead. May sound mean but when my own safety is at stake brutality/cowardice works fine by me.

If it was mutual combat or I did something that purposefully provoked the other person then I would choose to fight them fist to fist

I would never engage in mutual combat. I will never accept a challenge to step outside. If I am frightened though and violence is imminent then I will be dirty, and whatever happens to him happens.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

BUT If it gets to that point, It is my 100% intention to incapacitate the other person completely and totally so that they are no longer a threat.
In any physical confrontation you must assume the other person means to do the same. I do not believe there a such thing as a "Fair Fight". If someone is clearly intending on harming you, I believe that you MUST do whatever you can to stop them. Grab a Brick, Stick, Rock, Bat.. Whatever you can get your hands on and end the threat.

Precisely. I will do everything to walk away. A guy can threaten me, call me a "punk ass bitch" and I will still try to retreat. But if he will not let me then I will survive at all costs.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I would still try to use hands if I could. If threatened I will simply act passive so the guy feels in complete control and has his guard down. Then he gets a cheap shot and I run as fast as I can, but first I will make sure to hit him while he is down as much as neccessary to ensure that he stays down long enough for me to get at least a ten block lead. May sound mean but when my own safety is at stake brutality/cowardice works fine by me.

I think we're on somewhat close to the same page... My thing is that I've actually had to deal with truly dangerous people and trust me, there's people out there who wouldn't think twice about stomping your face against the curb or smashing your head in with a rock if they are able to knock you down... So, if I feel like my personal safety is in jeopardy I have no problem with carving them like a thanksgiving turkey them so they don't have that opportunity to do so. Obviously, I would have to feel like there was no other way out... Punching some asshole first, who might be a much better fighter than me is, in my mind, NOT an option... Even if it was only an ass beating I was in for, if I didn't knowingly do anything to provoke it, then eff that, I'd knife them.

I would never engage in mutual combat. I will never accept a challenge to step outside. If I am frightened though and violence is imminent then I will be dirty, and whatever happens to him happens.

Yeah, I'm really not down for fighting either, and it's been a long time since I've been in a fight (except for sparring for fun). However, there are those occasional times when it's best to fight to settle things. Especially if its going to be a recurring problem with someone at a place that you frequent. However, I think I'd prefer the other guy to take the first punch so I didn't end up looking like the instigator. I do agree that fighting is stupid and I'd obviously try anything to calm the situation so it didn't need to get there. But, as I'm sure you know, there's some people out there who can't be reasoned with.

Pretty much the same page.

I have carried a weapon before when I had to take transit through a bad neighborhood at night. The problem up in Canada is that our laws are ridiculously stacked against the average joe who is just trying to protect himself. If I use a weapon even in self defence I will be up shits creek just for having it on me in the first place. This means that when you walk out the door here if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time then if you survive then there is a better than average chance that you will have a criminal record and all the carreer implications that go with that. Our laws need changing bad.

...However, I think I'd prefer the other guy to take the first punch...

Psssst...good luck on surviving to defend yourself afterwards.

Any situation where I'd willingly fight someone would be where there were other people present... It's not likely in such a situation that they would stand and watch someone get killed (maybe beaten severely, but that's to be expected if you willingly enter into a fight).

Psssst....don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

The reason I mention knife is because that's what I usually carry, but rarely my gun because I don't have a CCW permit yet and I honestly don't want to have to lug that thing around all day (and it's obviously not even an option when at school, CCW or not). But yeah, obviously not a good idea to pull a knife in a gunfight unless you're a navy seal and/or psycho. And in actuality it's better to choose just about any other weapon you can get your hands on before engaging into a knife-knife fight. Used properly, even something like a broken-off broomstick could provide a more effective weapon than a knife if the combatant is armed with a knife as well... But that's another story.

I voted C - but I think most people overestimate their capacity to commit real violence against someone else. The sort of damage you'd need to do to somebody to guarantee stopping them is against our nature, although I guess extreme fear or anger can bypass that.

Sadly there are plenty of psychos out there who aren't repelled by violence - so they have us at a disadvantage.

When confronted by a violent act, I will assume the fetal position and recite "this is not happening, this is not happening"

LMAO!:D
Are you referring to that classic "X Files" episode?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Chung%27s_%22From_Outer_Space%22
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Charles Nelson Riley was way underestimated in his comedy techniques[:/]

"WHAT IS THAT THING?"""

"How the hell should I know?"

:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

When confronted by a violent act, I will assume the fetal position and recite "this is not happening, this is not happening"

When I tried boxing, I adopted that tactic on many occasions.