woodpecker

floating point integers

Anyone up to speed on these. I ran into a little snag:

I'm adding the following two decimal numbers together. They are both stored in excess-50 floating point format, with the decimal point to the left of the first mantissa digit. A (0) is used for positive and a (9) used for negative.

An easier way to see this problem is to break it down.

0.12500 x 10^0 added to -0.25750 x 10^3
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

How about a check of my work and help from there.

Here is what I did:

First I inverted the numbers since the negative was the larger. Since I’m adding a larger negative, technically, I’m subtracting the smaller number.

New equation:

Then I converted the exponents to match the larger of the numbers (number on top)

Then added subtracted the two numbers

Answer = 95025738

And when rounded

95025740 = -0.25740 x 10^0
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

You've got .125 + (-257.50) = -257.375 if you just convert to standard decimal notation. A scientific or graphing calculator would let you just add the numbers in scientific notation form without the conversions. Pat
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I'm taking CMIS 310 "The architecture of computer hardware and systems software" to finish up my degree and it was one of the summary questions.

Architecture is my weakness in computers. I hate it. >:(

I mean who really cares about 9's compliment, BCD, and floating integers. lol

Thanks for the help.

SONIC WOODY #146

My Calc/Diff Eqs Prof always asked the same question from all the engineering students....."what are some examples of how this math is used in the real world"

She was so curious she went back to school & got an engineering degree with some of her own students!

I have a few floating point integers for you -

but they all are derived from a formation designed from manipulating and folding in most of the phalanges in my right hand at the metacarporealphalageal joint, simultaneously leaving the phalanges aligned linearly with the metacarpals in the second finger.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yeah, I got that part. I've been known to fly that bird on occasion myself. I just figured he was letting me know what he thought of math or physics, you know, the stuff that's almost as much fun as skydiving.

I also teach maths (yes there's an"S") although lower level than floating point.
I'm betting turtle either cut and pasted the passage or used Google (or something else) to find the anatomical wording he aint dat brite:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Cool, some else who likes math! People really think I've gone over the edge, a grandmother who teaches math and who is learning to skydive. I've had great reaction from a lot of students, though.

There are quite a few teachers on theboards here, and a few Uni lecturers, Physics, Maths, Biology, Engligh. Teachers:):ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

0.12500 x 10^0 added to -0.25750 x 10^3

I got -24.750

Did my spacecraft miss its target? 2 points for exactly by how much. Metric units accepted.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeah, I got that part. I've been known to fly that bird on occasion myself. I just figured he was letting me know what he thought of math or physics, you know, the stuff that's almost as much fun as skydiving.

I also teach maths (yes there's an"S") although lower level than floating point.
I'm betting turtle either cut and pasted the passage or used Google (or something else) to find the anatomical wording he aint dat brite:ph34r:

Actually only for the correct spellings . . . It's not hard to remember where the metacarples and phananges are . . . and where they go!:D:D

And Granny, I was just being verbose and felt like having a bit of fun with words . . . I like math and phisics . . . I use them every day. M & P are your friends.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

True!!! And I plan on repeating the experience as often as possible. Many of the students around here are fascinated and stop by my office to see if I've jumped again, etc. Several are seriously interested in giving it a try.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

True!!! And I plan on repeating the experience as often as possible. Many of the students around here are fascinated and stop by my office to see if I've jumped again, etc. Several are seriously interested in giving it a try.

Be careful - you might be introducing them to a world of politics and shady deals.