AggieDave

Skydiving myths

If people are in a raft, you can talk inside the burble very clearly.

On rare occasion, you can hear others nearby in small formation.
We had one girl that hadn't done any formation stuff in a while. When she docked, she was going "wooohooo!"

When we landed, a friend asked me who the girl was that was screaming.

You've obviously never jumped with Mouth. I've been told you can hear her across bigways. :o
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

In one case a guy argued with me indefinitely about how skydivers catch "thermals" and can stay floating (chute not yet open) for indefinite periods of time. Despite his having never jumped he argued with me forever insisting that jumpers do it all the time.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

You've obviously never jumped with Mouth. I've been told you can hear her across bigways. :o

On my last jump with Mouth, she didn't have a lot of time for noise (Hoooo Hoo!). She was busy wrestling with that alligator. (For some reason, she has dominance issues with Gators. ;))

In one case a guy argued with me indefinitely about how skydivers catch "thermals" and can stay floating (chute not yet open) for indefinite periods of time. Despite his having never jumped he argued with me forever insisting that jumpers do it all the time.

I heard of one case of a small girl on a 300' canopy in AZ that got caught in a thermal and had a 45 minute ride.

And if you want to include a high-altitude ejection into a thunderstorm, Google for "The Man Who Rode the Thunder".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

you guys are all wanna-be's, i've seen it on the movie dropzone, they had conversations going on inbetween them all.. you're all trolls! :P

Yeah, and in the tunnel, and sitting on the tailgate of a Skyvan climbing to altitude.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

you guys are all wanna-be's, i've seen it on the movie dropzone, they had conversations going on inbetween them all.. you're all trolls! :P

Yeah, and in the tunnel, and sitting on the tailgate of a Skyvan climbing to altitude.:S

we do this all the time here.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

one time she was doing big ways in DeLand and I could hear her in Orlando :o
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I heard of one case of a small girl on a 300' canopy in AZ that got caught in a thermal and had a 45 minute ride.

And if you want to include a high-altitude ejection into a thunderstorm, Google for "The Man Who Rode the Thunder".

In the girls case she had an open canopy. I googled the other stroy but it did not give specifics as to the state of his parachute. The guy I was talking to was adamant that skydivers did it all the time because there were "thermals" at altitude and they could stay in the sky indefinitely without oppenning their chutes. It was one of those scenarios where I opted to agree that he was right simply because I was getting a headache explaining reality to the guy.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

The guy I was talking to was adamant that skydivers did it all the time because there were "thermals" at altitude and they could stay in the sky indefinitely without openning their chutes.

Yeah, it's called "orbit".:S

The guy I was talking to was adamant that skydivers did it all the time because there were "thermals" at altitude and they could stay in the sky indefinitely without openning their chutes.

Yeah, it's called "orbit".:S

:D:D

You know I have never jumped on the "bash the whuffos" bandwagon because I can understand the dumb questions (I was one once), and I even politely accept the "perfectly good airplane" line in good grace.

But when someone has not done something themselves, to stand there and argue endlessly with someone who has is beyond me. It has happened numerous times.

You know I have never jumped on the "bash the whuffos" bandwagon because I can understand the dumb questions (I was one once), and I even politely accept the "perfectly good airplane" line in good grace.

But when someone has not done something themselves, to stand there and argue endlessly with someone who has is beyond me. It has happened numerous times.

I spent a season jumping at Coldwater MI when it was run by a DZO named JJ Johnson. They had an annual demo at a location near a large Amish community who would turn out to see it. JJ told me that of all the whuffo questions he ever entertained, the Amish asked the most intelligent ones.:D:D:D

I did 20 min under a manta when I was a student. I was told over the radio "stay up there any longer and we'll have to charge extra!":D:D
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site