riggerrob

Confiscate bogus reserve pack job?

It is now the responsibility for the DZO to notify the authorities or he could be also held responsible if something terrible was to happen. He has now made him part of this and needs to report it.

Report it? Yes. Detain the rig or owner? Not likely.

According to the story, the pin must have been pulled, as they knew the bag was inverted and packed with line twists. By rendering the rig un-jumpable, the DZO removed himself from liability. What the owner does after leaving the DZ is beyond the DZOs control.

It's not gov't required until the rig is jumped, is it?

If the gear has a TSO label and seal with a riggers seal code on it, it falls under power of the FAA to check it anytime any place. Have you ever heard of "ramp checks"? It is done at Air Shows quite often.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm not sure what State you are a licensed attorney in, but unless you live in Mayberry, you are not going to be able to detain someone and confiscate their gear calling it "citizens arrest." You are likely to be liable for the civil offenses of conversion and false imprisionment. Of course, my knowledge only extends to the United States legal system, and I expessly cannot speak to the laws of other Countries. <<<<<

HA HA ! Ok he is called Barny Fifth, the deputy on the Andy Griffin show. Ya know the cop with one bullet in his shirt pocket.

Hay, What about a round-house kick to the chin. That could probably stop your gear from being confiscated by a DZO. Smack!

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

HA HA ! Ok he is called Barny Fifth, the deputy on the Andy Griffin show. Ya know the cop with one bullet in his shirt pocket.

Spelled - Barney Fife, keeper of the peace
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Spelled - Barney Fife, keeper of the peace <<

The all knowing one, the last dragon slayer, the navigator, speaker of the truth.

Boy its a good thing you are as educated as you are, there are probably some stupid MF who couldn't figure out what the hell I was talking about. So for all those stupid MF thank you for the fix! You magnificent son of a bitch!

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

It's not gov't required until the rig is jumped, is it?

If the gear has a TSO label and seal with a riggers seal code on it, it falls under power of the FAA to check it anytime any place. Have you ever heard of "ramp checks"? It is done at Air Shows quite often.

Thing is as per the original post this happened in Canada.... sorry I don't think the FAA is going to be showing up at anytime soon. :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Boy its a good thing you are as educated as you are, there are probably some stupid MF who couldn't figure out what the hell I was talking about. So for all those stupid MF thank you for the fix! You magnificent son of a bitch!

Jeez, no offense intended. Just having fun at the expense of the now departed Barney.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thing is as per the original post this happened in Canada.... sorry I don't think the FAA is going to be showing up at anytime soon.

“the local police and/or FAA could as this could be construed as violation of federal law (FAR's)

“Right, the DZO could have called the FAA, the police, USPA, etc.”

“This is why you'd want to call the FAA ASAP and ask them what you want done with the gear.”

“Call the cops and/or FAA and spread the word to other DZ's - right.”

“with or w/o TSO or properly documented maintenance. I'm not sure the FAA has any authority over the rig until I jump with it.”

“I would disagree... something about misrepresenting information on government required documentation on TSO'ed gear.”

“It might also fall into the charge of tampering with TSO'ed aircraft equipment,”

I was responding to several posts pertaining to the FAA and TSO.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I just picked your post to reply to because it was there. :)
I was having fun watch this go by and and nobody was picking up on the problem being Canada so of course the FAA doesn't have any jurisdiction in Canada.

The way I understand it in Canada our rigger ratings are administered by CSPA and so there is no government body regulating riggers here. I may be wrong on this so come on Canadians... somebody set me straight, eh :D
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

This is why you'd want to call the FAA ASAP and ask them what you want done with the gear. If they then tell you to hold it pending an investigation, then it wouldn't be theft.

I don't think they'd tell DZO to hold it, because this would create liability on them. And I don't think DZO can do this itself. My limited knowledge is that you can do something like 'citizen arrest' only if you actually _see_ the person committing a crime. You cannot arrest someone who just went from a shop with a bag just because you suspect (or even someone told you) this person didn't pay for the goods. You must have actually seen it to be able to do the arrest, and you have to tell the appropriate authorities (the police and security) ASAP. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And it does not mean that the person who owns this rig is really guilty. Maybe he bought it two months ago, and in this case he may not know who repacked the reserve, and where the card is. Also note that even a guilty person can legally refuse to talk because of possible self-discrimination.

Another interesting question is what if DZO calls FAA, and they give him a suggestion to hold the rig? I'm not sure whether FAA is a law enforcement agency, and has such power (therefore taking the liability on them), or not. And what if they are not? It would be the same as DZO asked his buddy, or even his own boss.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

But taking any illegal action is no better than beating up a kid you see shoplifting in your store. It crosses a legal line best handled by those officially authorized.

I agree beating up shoplifters should be left to the cops! :P

Nullius in Verba

The way I understand it in Canada our rigger ratings are administered by CSPA and so there is no government body regulating riggers here.

I can't find anything to dispute that. The only thing I've ever found in the Canadian Air Regs is for demo jumps over built up areas etc. Then the reserve has to have been packed by a "certificated parachute rigger". Other than for that, a bogus reserve pack job etc. is just an internal CSPA matter.

(I hope everyone still feels free to discuss the 'bogus pack job' issue as it would apply in their own country, whether that's the USA, Canada, or anywhere.)

But taking any illegal action is no better than beating up a kid you see shoplifting in your store. It crosses a legal line best handled by those officially authorized.

I agree beating up shoplifters should be left to the cops! :P

:D:D:D:D

(Actually, I wrote it that way because your typical 'concerned citizen' (read - self righteous wierdo) tends to overdo it in terms of their personal concepts of justice (read - nutty overamping violence based revenge) - look on SC for posts about how people (posturing on the anonymous website) would overreact to personal slights with violence)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The way I understand it in Canada our rigger ratings are administered by CSPA and so there is no government body regulating riggers here. I may be wrong on this so come on Canadians... somebody set me straight, eh :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Correct!

Rob Warner
CSPA Rigger Instructor

The way I understand it in Canada our rigger ratings are administered by CSPA and so there is no government body regulating riggers here.

I can't find anything to dispute that. The only thing I've ever found in the Canadian Air Regs is for demo jumps over built up areas etc. Then the reserve has to have been packed by a "certificated parachute rigger". Other than for that, a bogus reserve pack job etc. is just an internal CSPA matter.

(I hope everyone still feels free to discuss the 'bogus pack job' issue as it would apply in their own country, whether that's the USA, Canada, or anywhere.)

If this is a CSPA matter, what could the CSPA do to the jumper? The CSPA isn't into enforcement as I recall. And the TSA, the only government agency that has any influence on Canadian skydiving, only cares about the planes and the pilots.
Aww, where's Bill Cole when you need him? ;)

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”