jlau90us

Audible Altimeters

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could shine some light on the new VISO for me. I'm looking into getting a pro-track, but I saw that a new line of L&B products came out.

On their website it says that the VISO acts as an electronic log book also, but when I search to buy it on websites, it is substantially cheaper than a protrack and in the website's description it doesn't say anything about being an electronic logbook.

Does anyone know if L&B came out with a newer version of their Pro-Track?

The Viso is not a direct replacement for the Pro-Track. Having no audible alarms, it's designed to be worn on the wrist as a digital altimeter.

The Optima is also not a direct Pro-Track replacement - it's got audible alarms for freefall and for canopy, but no log-book functionality.

The Solo is a cut-down Optima, with just the one set of freefall alarms.

So, it depends on the functionality you're after... a Neptune can do everything that a Viso and an Optima can do, but if you mount it on your wrist you can't hear the audible alarms, so you end up buying two anyway!

Make sense?

I’m a Neptune guy. Compare the cost and features of both. Then see what you can afford.

-Bowen

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I’m a Neptune guy. Compare the cost and features of both. Then see what you can afford.

-Bowen

If you want/need a altimeter and a audible, you need two devices. So twice a device which can do both tasks (more expensive "overkill" device) or 1 altimeter and 1 audible?
If you use your neptune as an alti, you don't need the audible-function. If you use it as a audible, you don't need the altimeter-function.

J

Hmm.

Wishlist: Audible with freefall and canopy alarms, freefall logbook, visible altimeter.

As far as I can tell, a Neptune plus a standard analog altimeter is the cheapest way to go, with the least redundancy (the Neptune's visible display).

If I want to get the audible first because I don't care so much about the logging, then an Optima wins. And right now that's true. But after that, if I want a logger at some point, then anything I buy will give me multiple audibles.

Hang on, that's no bad thing - is it still true that BPA require two audibles for anyone doing head-down?

Hang on again, if I'm still in the UK by the time I'm doing HD, I have bigger problems.

Sod it, I'll buy a Neptune.

I think :S
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

If you want/need a altimeter and a audible, you need two devices. So twice a device which can do both tasks (more expensive "overkill" device) or 1 altimeter and 1 audible?
If you use your neptune as an alti, you don't need the audible-function. If you use it as a audible, you don't need the altimeter-function.

J

Neptune + Neptune Wave = B|

Wishlist: Audible with freefall and canopy alarms, freefall logbook, visible altimeter.

Some options:

Optima + Viso.

Neptune + Viso.

Optima + Alti-Track.

Neptune Wave + Viso.

Optima + Neptune.

Optima + Analog alti.

Neptune + Analog alti.

etc, etc.

Lots of different combinations will work. Personally, I'd go for the Optima + Viso, because I'm leery of Alti-2's software development skills. If you need a second audible, buy a Solo or a 2nd-hand Pro-Track or Pro-Dytter.

If I want to get the audible first because I don't care so much about the logging, then an Optima wins. And right now that's true. But after that, if I want a logger at some point, then anything I buy will give me multiple audibles.

Viso won't.

Yah, but it looks like the Viso doesn't have the log memory.

Although if all you want is the last jump in memory to write stuff in your logbook, and I do, that's fine.

Cool, decision made. Will order an Optima today.

Thanks!

[edit: Hang on. I am misinformed. Viso does better logging... nice.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

All those Neptune functions seem to use up a lot of battery power. It really like having it on my wrist, but I didn't like it in my helmet. The log book stuff is nice I guess, considering that no 2 Neptune's read the same speeds even when in the same helmet side by side. My old Skytronic is way better as an audible, even without the canopy alarms.