ExAFO

"The Spy Who Loved Me" Opening Sequence

Rick Sylvester

I call bullshit. It was Roger Moore........I mean, they show his face under canopy and everything.

That scene was what motivated me to do my first jump.

ps.....what finally happened after 7 1/2 years ?

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

IMDB.com says it was Rick Sylvester that performed the "ski jump".
He also did the climbing sequnce in For Your Eyes Only, which of course was THE best Moore film. They should've made more "dark" Bond films like that.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

Rick Sylvester donned skis for the breathtaking ski jump that has been ranked among the ten best stunts ever captured on film. The cliff was Asgard Peak on Baffin Island in Northern Canada. Sylvester, second unit director John Glen, and 14 crew members braved freezing temperatures and snowstorms for 10 days while waiting for a perfect opportunity to make the jump. (An excellent account of this stunt can be found under the entry "The Asgard Jump" in Steven J. Rubin's "The Complete James Bond Movie Encyclopedia.")

Cool. Thanks.
Yeah, that ski sure does its best to get involved in the deployment of the canopy - certainly would have been an unusual malfunction. Here's some more from a site about the jump:
----------
In his audio-commentary, Roger Moore comments on the opening parachute ski-jump that could have gone horribly wrong for stuntman Rick Sylvester. After the jump, a disengaged ski clipped the unopened chute as it was falling. The ski could could easily have prevented the chute from opening. It can still be seen in the final footage that the ski clips the about-to-open parachute. Rick Sylvester was paid $30,000 for the skiing stunt in the opening sequence.

An advertisement inspired the famous opening skiing sequence. It was for Canadian Club Whisky and featured Rick Sylvester jumping off Asgard in Greenland. The ad had actually been staged elsewhere and had really been performed off the El Capitain Peak, Yosemite Valley, California. The ad read: "If you Space Ski Mount Asgard...before you hit the ground, hit the silk!". Sylvester performed the stunt for the film which famously ended with a parachute of the Union Jack opening. This opening sequence was recently parodied in Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004) and was imitated with the air balloon in Octopussy (1983) and paid homage to in the Gustav Graves parachute drop in Die Another Day (2002). Sylvester also did the Meteora mountain fall in For Your Eyes Only (1981).

The famous Union Jack parachute ski jump stunt during the film's pre-title sequence was (reportedly) originally suggested by former Bond star George Lazenby to be used in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969), but the necessary equipment to film it was not available then.