SkydiveStMarys

So who is going to do the religious "thing"

this Christmas? Anyone going to midnight service? My oldest son (soon to be 13)said that he would like to attend church this sunday. I feel I need to do that for him. Now I just need to find a church that I feel comfortable with. My choices are either the Methodist church, Church of God, or the Episcopal church.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Not me, but if I were going to go I would want it to be a holy roller church. Not a white holy roller church, either. I mean an official bigtime black holy roller church.

I went to a white holy roller church one time. Wow. A bunch of really straigh-laced white people dressed in suits dancing around, singing, and not an ounce of rhthm in the whole crowd. Nice people, but damn...it was just wrong!

Walt

I understand where your coming from, but since he asked, who am I to say no. He needs to figure out the religion "thing" on his own. Whether or not he wants to go that route or whatever....its a personal choice, one that I can't make for him.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I'll be at church! We don't do mass because the church I go to is pretty much mainstream Protestant, but we do have a Christmas Eve service and I'll go this Sunday as well.

Kudos for being willing to take your son to a service because he wants to go. I can't give you any pointers on Methodist/Church of God/Episcopal, but you might find out which one has a pretty active youth group for kids his age. I'm not suggesting that going to church for Christmas means that he's going to want to start going all the time. However, if there's an active youth group, he'll probably see more people his age that he can relate to in the service as well. Some churches tend to get an older crowd; some a younger crowd. It might help to see other 13-year-olds around.
TPM Sister #102

I understand where your coming from, but since he asked, who am I to say no. He needs to figure out the religion "thing" on his own. Whether or not he wants to go that route or whatever....its a personal choice, one that I can't make for him.

Bobbi

I can understand going for the kid.

May I say that it's HIS comfort level that counts? Let him pick one and just go with him...support is the thing here...as you already know.

Congrats on being willing to do that for him. You're a good Mom.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well of course I celebrate Christmas for religious reasons, but surprisingly enough I may not be able to fit in a service. I may go to a candlelight service with my grandmother, but it does get out late and hubby and I have to leave at 3 in the morning to get back here in Arkansas for Christmas day with his parents! :o

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Not me, but if I were going to go I would want it to be a holy roller church. Not a white holy roller church, either. I mean an official bigtime black holy roller church.

I went to a white holy roller church one time. Wow. A bunch of really straigh-laced white people dressed in suits dancing around, singing, and not an ounce of rhthm in the whole crowd. Nice people, but damn...it was just wrong!

Walt

IMHO the biggest problems most churches have is that it is so damn boring that it is impossible for me to stay awake. What is missing is some danger and excitement. You know, something to make the memory of last Sunday's church service stick in your memory. Now these guys have figured it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Handlers

:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Walt

What he said. If I wanted to go to a church to wish Jesus a happy birthday, it'd have to include a bunch of big fat black women singing to bring down the roof.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Here's a big surprise, yes I am; but not the midnight mass. I'm going in the morning.

You are a cool mom!

I agree with Jewels, I can't give you any advice on what denomination to attend, but looking for a church that has an active youth group may really be a good experience for him.

I need a fire proof suit.>:(:)

I put mine on every Sunday along with a hard hat (in case the roof caves in), My kids like going, and so did I before I learned how corrupted organized religion is. Also, becuase of the way I am, I don't feel like I should be "allowed" to goto church, but I do for my kids and will continue to take them as long as they wanna go...;)

this Christmas? Anyone going to midnight service? My oldest son (soon to be 13)said that he would like to attend church this sunday. I feel I need to do that for him. Now I just need to find a church that I feel comfortable with. My choices are either the Methodist church, Church of God, or the Episcopal church.

Bobbi

I am so amazed...I gave this thread about three seconds before it was already in SC and on fire,[:/] yet during this season everyone seems to have put on their mellow hats and allowed for innocent discussion about church:). I am so proud of all of you!:o:)B|B|

And yes, I'll be there:o:o:):)

Merry Christmas!!!!:)

Walt

White folks can't dance. Wonder if any of that suff is on Utube.

I think everyone should go to church at least once so they can experience what they won't be missing the rest of their life.

More power to the people go like it and get comfort out of it.
One Jump Wonder