bigway

Car mechanical help please.

So my car is all of the sudden not starting. It just makes a horrible ticking noise when i turn the key.

This morning i had to roll start it but now it will not even do that, well i ran out of space trying to roll start it in reverse.

I open the bonnet up and find some sort of corrosion with the battery. it looks like it has melted the steel frame to hold the battery secure.

Here is a photo.

At first before looking i started to think that maybe the alternator was fucked but it seems it may just be the battery.

First of all, can anyone diagnose this by the picture?
Secondly,

Can anyone tell me how this may have happened so it does not happen again.

The fucked up thing about it is just yesterday i took it in for it's yearly inspection... maybe they messed with the battery causing this?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

The clicking is probably caused by low voltage at the starter solenoid. It's hard to tell from the pics, but how do the battery terminals/connectors look? If there's corrosion there, try cleaning the terminals/connectors. Use a terminal cleaner tool and a baking soda/water solution.

From the pics, it looks like the (assumed to be rubber/plastic coated) battery hold-down has a cut or nick in its coating which allows acid to attack the metal underneath. That should not cause your problem, but you can remove the white crap with a soluton of baking soda and water.

Did the problem just appear for the first time this morning? It could be a dying batery. In the US, many auto parts stores will load test your battery for free.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

FYI - when you get the battery replaced, make sure that they DON'T put the new hold-down brace on top of a cell cap!!

Yep. Not the best location. The cap probably rubbed a hole in the hold-down coating. But could it cause the problem?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I dont know mate- but for it to appear all the sudden at the same time the car is not starting??

The car started this morning but was like a dying battery trying to get it going, now i cant even jumpstart it.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

do you not think it is because they have put the hold down bar over the battery cell? it is jammed tight against it

That shouldn't hurt the battery. It is possible that no one has ever checked the fluid level in that cell because the bar is in the way. If that cell (or any others) is low, it could cause the problem.

It's strange that it suddenly happened. Also, the car should have started by rolling if the battery wasn't pretty much dead. Do the interior lights work? If so, the battery should be good enough for the car to start by rolling/pushing.

-NickDG

The clicking is probably caused by low voltage at the starter solenoid. It's hard to tell from the pics, but how do the battery terminals/connectors look? If there's corrosion there, try cleaning the terminals/connectors. Use a terminal cleaner tool and a baking soda/water solution.

From the pics, it looks like the (assumed to be rubber/plastic coated) battery hold-down has a cut or nick in its coating which allows acid to attack the metal underneath. That should not cause your problem, but you can remove the white crap with a soluton of baking soda and water.

Did the problem just appear for the first time this morning? It could be a dying batery. In the US, many auto parts stores will load test your battery for free.

yup metal and battery acid not a good thing......and of course ketchup or cocacola would remove the corrosion too.

in older cars, one way to test the alternator is start the car and remove the positive battery cable, if it keeps running the alternator is most likely good, if not its shot. also it is very possible for a parts store to sell you a new dead battery, Even if they check the charge before you leave with it. Overall, get the battery clamp away from the fill cap on the battery, no matter what your problem is....
good luck, oh and how did that poker game go?

By jumpstart do you mean hitching it to another car with jumper cables (dunno what they call them there)?

-NickDG

Well, cars don't have bonnets here.;)

What happens when you try to jumpstart it? Does it do the clicking thing?

-NickDG

I meant roll start but i ran out of room and it was cold engine.

Then make sure the battery cells are all filled to the right level and that the terminals/connectors don't look real bad. If it won't start, try jumping it. If jumping works, it's most likely just a bad or dead battery.

-NickDG

if the battery is dead, and will not charge, it is impossible to tell any other problems.:|

replace the battery and re test..:)

ohh i must disagree......but again i am referring to older cars.....98 and older

please do tell.:)

if the battery is dead, and will not charge, it is impossible to tell any other problems.:|

ohh i must disagree......but again i am referring to older cars.....98 and older

please do tell.:)

like i posted earlier, if the car continues to run with the battery disconnected, then the alternator is most likely charging, if it dies then its not....
if my 15 years in the industry serves me correct then it is an easy way to determine that the alternator is part of the problem..the car will only run so long on battery alone......am i missing something....it was pretty accurate for me in the old days lol

be carefull doing that, you can ruin the alternator, and, or burn up one of the many computers that is in cars nowadays.

the problem is, if you have a bad battery, how you going to get it started to disconect it while it is running?:D

And keep your receipt. I had a battery start to go bad on my car, took it back to the auto store where I bought it (with the receipt), and got a new one for only $6. :)
Old battery was only 11 months old.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

be carefull doing that, you can ruin the alternator, and, or burn up one of the many computers that is in cars nowadays.

the problem is, if you have a bad battery, how you going to get it started to disconect it while it is running?:D[/reply

Yes it may not be a good thing for the comouter systems these days, I was referring to older cars, I am not sure what bigway has so I did mention that.

You loosen the positive cable first, then jumpstart the vehicle...while running slide the cable off the baterry. I have done this many times on OLDER vehicles and it has been successful.

Do the interior lights work? If so, the battery should be good enough for the car to start by rolling/pushing.

Now this is not true for all cars...but i have found it true more often than not. Push starting a car has nothing to do with the battery. Even if the battery cant hold a charge the battery will still transfer current from the alternator to the distributor in order to fire the plugs to keep the motor running. When i say it doesnt work for all cars..the only car i havent seen this work for is pontiacs. Check the starter!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye