peacefuljeffrey

FIREFLY - t.v. show fans?

My brother was kind and insightful enough to give me the 4 DVD set of "Firefly," a science-fiction show that was on Fox last year, as a Christmas gift.

I had seen some of the episodes, and not others, and there is a never-seen episode on the set. It is AWESOME. The show was phenomenally good, and I don't get why they canceled it. It was far better than that Babylon 5 and half a dozen other throwaway shows that made it into repeat seasons.

Any fans of Firefly here?
(The theme song is where my sig quote comes from, btw.)

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

yea..i just picked up the DVDs too..

it was a great show, but unfortunately they didnt give it long enough to build a following, it as slotted terriblly and got very little promtion when it was running..i know lots of diehard sci-fi fans who never heard of it till it was being cancelled... [:/]

We watched it when it was aired, and it was a big disappointment they didn't give it a bigger chance to catch on. My son gave my wife the DVDs for Christmas, and we've been doling out the episodes, or else we'd watch them all in one sitting.

Josh Whedon is writing a feature length script. It kinda depends on DVD sales whether that moves forward, so everyone go buy the DVDs. You won't be disappointed.

Trust me. ;)
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

ok.. i've seen several sig lines with the song qoute in them around here.. including one greenie does this mean more people have seen it now?? is it gaining enough popularity to make a return... it never really got a chance on TV with poor advertising and a terrrible time slot....

Yea, it was a great series. But like everyone said it was just placed badly. It had the potential to be a great series but unfortunately we have to settle for just the first season. Both my roomate and myself have already finished the series and we are quite upset. We were left wanting more and with only a movie to look forward to (hopefully) don't think that we will ever get our fill.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

...is it gaining enough popularity to make a return...

There was apparently something in the contract with Fox that precluded anybody doing more Firefly TV shows until 5 years after the original episode, or something like that.

Here's a good site, if you like the show:
http://www.fireflyfans.net

The movie is scheduled to be out April 22, 2005 B|

The Movie "Serenity" will be outin April 2005. Firefly was the best Sci-Fi Series to come out in years and it is a crime that it was canceled. Luckily Joss Wheaton believed it the cast and show so much he kept them all on Retainers until he could convince Universal to pick up the rights for the movie. They finished shooting the Movie resently and have scripts for 2 additional Movies if this one is successful.

I'm a Browncoat. Love the show and the movie. Didn't even know about it until a few months ago, but saw the whole season in a week. Every episode is like a mini-movie. Much superior to almost all scifi I've seen. I especially like that there are no fucking aliens.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

We stayed up past midnight last night watching "Serenity": the best sci-fi film we have seen in a long time.

Hey Rob,

UBC Film Society is showing "Serenity" next weekend on the big screen (7-9 Jan); some Browncoats are slated to attend.B|
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Doesnt look good for the other two movies. First one didnt do that Great at the Box Office.

Go Buy the DVD`s. They have to make money off the first one before thay make a second one.

Actually it looks decent. Foreign box office were a big help and when you figure in DVD sales the film should eek into the black. Currently it looks like at least one more movie will be made but the smart odds are o it being a straight to DVD release. The interesting question is how they are going to work Book and Wash intot he plot(eveyrone's already signed contracts for it includign those two).

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Here is your box office mojo report:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm

They made 38.5 mil. Cost 39 mil. That half million can be picked up easy in DVD sales, but that still may not be enough to justify another big feature. If they do, the budget will probably be alot less.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Here is your box office mojo report:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm

They made 38.5 mil. Cost 39 mil. That half million can be picked up easy in DVD sales, but that still may not be enough to justify another big feature. If they do, the budget will probably be alot less.

I'm surprised and more than a little disappointed. I expected "Serenity" to have some legs at the box office, and do a lot better than it did.

And I'm on record in this forum as panning "Firefly". I went so far as to call it a stinker. Guess I'm not the only one who needed to get a clue. Like many, I missed the original broadcasts, so when the feature came out, I was able to view it without bias.

Damn, what a fun movie!

Like others, I went back and gave the series a chance.

Damn, what great television!

It's a pity that something so intelligent and (inexpensively!) well-made can barely break even, whereas vapid garbage like "Revenge of the Sith" rakes in hundreds of millions.

But then, a lot of people shelled out their sheckels to see "The Dukes of Hazzard", too. >:(

BTW the DVD has been out for eight days - any data on the sales?

mh

If they do, the budget will probably be alot less.

Yeah, but a huge amount of the budget went in to the gratitous eye candy in the battle between the Feds and the Reavers. A $20 Mil budget is not unreasonable for an upper tier movie in the current generation of straight to DVD movies, and would eb more than adequate.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Just watched the DVD set and the movie Serenity.

Excellent writing. Funny, emotional, action..... B|B|

I just finished watching the series again the other day. Sure miss that show. [:/]

mh

There was apparently something in the contract with Fox that precluded anybody doing more Firefly TV shows until 5 years after the original episode, or something like that.

Here's a good site, if you like the show:
http://www.fireflyfans.net

The show ran in fall of 2002, so hopefully we'll be hearing some movement on this soon, maybe?

I spent a little time on that website, and was intrigued, impressed, and more than a little scared. There are people who are STILL (in 2008) into that little series like we're into skydiving. Hell, they're MORE into it than most of us are into skydiving. Little bit freaky.

Of course, everyone else is looking at us saying "dayum, you skydivers are OBSESSED."

Elvisio "hoping for more good stuff" Rodriguez