lippy

I was robbed.

This turned out pretty long and rantish, just need to vent

I live in a pretty shitty town and had been told since I got here not to walk the streets at night, but walking always calms me down and I've always said I won't live here and be scared to leave my house. So last night I left the house of some friends and was walking home. About 500 meters from my apartment I noticed two guys walking a good distance behind me. Just before I turned the last corner onto my street I looked and they weren't there(they must have been hiding in the entrance to a house) so I relaxed a little. About 50ft after I turned the corner I got a thump on the back of the head and I was down. I got a few boots to the head and ribs; one was holding my feet and the other had his feet on either side of my head. I tried punching and kicking and then remembered the security guard who's always at the clinic a few hundred feet away and started screaming for help. The guys took off with my phone and my ciggarettes and left my glasses mangled and covered with my blood. I've got some sore ribs, a black eye and a couple cuts and bruises on my face and legs. At least they didn't get my wallet[:/]. I got to my apartment and went to bed. This morning I called my phone and some woman answers and says that she bought it last night and then hung up, now she's not answering.

The thing that pisses me off is that in my work the IT department handles the company phones and since I arrived here two weeks ago I've been fighting with the lazy motherfucker in IT to get a phone. He finally gets me one on Friday, then Saturday night it's stolen. I almost quit a few months ago because this town is fucking awful and I wanted out. They sent me on a project in Argentina for 3 months but things really went to shit here when I was gone and they called me back to clean up the mess. It was nice to get a heartfelt 'come back we need you' but after two weeks I'm already sick of this place in the worst kind of way. I've got 3 more weeks here and then I'm going to Colombia for a stint but as long as I'm under Latin American operations I'm going to be Venezuela's bitch because they treat their Venezuelan employees like shit and as soon as I get somebody trained they fuck off to the competition. I like the money here but the lifestyle doesn't allow much skydiving and Skydive Venezuela is on the other side of the country. If I stick this out for a while longer I'll get a nice job in Texas and get back to being a skydiver again instead of being a wireliner who hauls a parachute all over South America and occasionally finds a dropzone for a day or two. If I quit I'll probably have to move back to Canada but it's COLD there! I don't know WTF to do with my life!!!
I got nuthin

Sucks to hear you got rolled. But if you need a point of contact for Skydiving in Colombia let me know and I'll hook you up with the right people.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks Lou...Are you talking about the guys in Flandes? I've talked to them before but they don't jump every weekend and it's always worked out that when I get a free weekend in Bogota they're not jumping. I've heard their place is really nice though.
I got nuthin

I live in one of the better parts of town. I should've taken a taxi or done like everybody else here and taken my truck even knowing that we were having a few beers.

Good answer in the first part there...I'll beat the shit out of you if you consider the second. :)
PS...weren't you mugged instead of robbed? I always thought that if someone took something off of your person it was mugging. Anyhoo, still sorry to hear it.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I guess mugged would be a better word for it yeah. And no worries on the drink driving, when we're goin for beers the truck stays in the apartment.

A friend of mine called my phone and we're going to meet the guy who has it in a few hours. He wants 100,000 Bolivars (like $20 at the black market exchange rate) for the phone.

It's 5pm here and our mechanic just showed up here at the base. If I hadn't gotten mugged I would've had my phone when they called at 6am for me to go with him to rig up a unit on the lake, so at least I got out of a day of work over this.
I got nuthin

glad yr ok... your spirits actually sound upbeat for what you have been through!

Drinking and driving really isnt that big of deal! Is IT? I drink and drive all the time mainly water and coffee...I suppose spilling hot coffee on the thigh can cause a swearvy manuver which in effect could be dangerous!;)

If I quit I'll probably have to move back to Canada but it's COLD there! I don't know WTF to do with my life!!!

It hasn't been that cold lately - I skydived at Gananoque in January when there was a warm spell and no snow on the ground. ;) ... This year though has been a blizzard in December, so none of that this year from my area (Ottawa, Ontario).

Seriously, if you want to avoid the cold in Canada, go to Vancouver area. It's a very temperate zone there with grass staying green year round in some areas, even if it's occasionally freezing at night sometimes in the winter. But average temperature is in the positive year round, and some dropzones operate year round!

See if you can get a good job in Canada, and with Canada's recent high flying dollar, you can afford to travel frequently. Typically, two U.S. jumps for the price of one Canadian jump.

That sucks bigtime. What are the gun laws there? Can you carry?

Walt

Maybe they will have a car that he can shoot at as they leave.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yeah I've been listening to Cjay92 online and it doesn't seem like it's too cold in Calgary. I don't think I'll be able to pull off a transfer and I'm kinda hessitant to leave this company after 6 years. I almost took a job in GP with another company back in September but when I handed in my resignation here they offered me the Argentinian project and I took it.

There's a lot of really great people here and the work is challenging, but in general the people from this part of the country are lazy ignorant loud assholes and it takes it's toll on a guy after living here for a while. I don't like to generalize about people like that, but honestly if you ask any Venezuelan about Maracuchos they'll tell you that they're assholes. Even more so if you're talking to an actual Maracucho.

I got my phone back for 70,000Bs so at least I don't have to fight with the IT guy again:)

I got nuthin

Sorry to hear abouth that, Glad you are ok. I was once almost cornered in a night club in Ukraine but managed to get out of it. But i grew up in Detroit (inner city) and have been roled once or twice.
I know how it makes you so fu@%*g mad. I also travel internationally so know that pain as well.
Good luck to you and i hope it all calms down for you soon and you get that job in Texas!
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664