selbbub78

Running Training Question

Hey to any and all runners out there!! I'm looking at running a marathon this year, and have read a few books on marathon running, and am actively searching on the best type of watch timers that people use for training. I'm planning on starting pretty easy with some 2 minute run, 2 minute walks, but I'm curious to know what sort of timers do you guys use when you are training for a race? Any advice is well appreciated!!!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Been a long time since I was a runner. I haven't run since 1990. I have done two marathons though, the first one while still in high school and the latter one in 1990 in 3:29:12. I quit not long after to nagging and painful achilles heel tendonitis.

My advice is go slow and easy. Build your mileage up 5 to 10 miles a week, hold it for another week, then boost it up a bit more. Typically, when you're able to run about 50 miles a week with one long run every two weeks of say 10-13 miles, you'll be in good shape to finish one of those marathons. Also, pick an easy course to run on.

Marathons are extremely painful to finish if you're not prepared. I ended up walking/jogging the last 6 - 8 miles of both marathons I ran in, but I finished, and was sore for weeks.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey to any and all runners out there!! I'm looking at running a marathon this year, and have read a few books on marathon running, and am actively searching on the best type of watch timers that people use for training. I'm planning on starting pretty easy with some 2 minute run, 2 minute walks, but I'm curious to know what sort of timers do you guys use when you are training for a race? Any advice is well appreciated!!!

CReW Skies,
bubbles

Try a Polar heart rate monitor and kill two birds with one stone. The HRM will allow you to gauge your fitness and progress, while the wrist piece also has a built-in timer. :)

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Marathons are extremely painful to finish if you're not prepared. I ended up walking/jogging the last 6 - 8 miles of both marathons I ran in, but I finished, and was sore for weeks.

Ya, i have a training program that i'm following right now, and i'm not planning on running my first til the end of the year... Plenty of time (well not really) to get ready for it!!!! I just want to get a nice watch to help pace myself better.

To everyone that's responded so far... thanks for the insight. I'm definitely going to use that in my decision!!!

CReW SKies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

PM simplyputsi

why? he's never run a marathon... :P I'm just messing with ya paul...

seriously though I would suggest getting a Heart rate Monitor of some kind... I have a Garmin Forunner 305 which has a heart rate monitor, can keep track of distance (it's a GPS) and will sync with my PC to download my data.

I built up, trained for, and ran my first and only marathon (so far) in 2003...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

PM simplyputsi

why? he's never run a marathon... :P I'm just messing with ya paul...

Yeah i was like ummm no. TRIATHLON, it's different from a MARATHON!!:D:P:P

I just started back running yesterday. I hate running!!!
I do have some advice though, as I was actually training to do a half marathon, part of a half ironman.
Start out slow. You're worst mistake is doing too much too fast. You'll know when that happens, or you're body will let you know.

I'm not a fan of the run/walk thing. Jog at all times at least when you train. To each his own though.

You should get a heart rate monitor. It will let you know where you are at. I know when I used one, it helped me to realize what was possible for me.

So, ummmm good luck. It's possible I actually get my ass into doing on of these within the next two years, but I figure if i'm doing that I might as well do an ironman while I'm at it. I'm strange like that.

Oh, get some good shoes, 2 pairs actually. Rotate them out, day to day.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Oh, get some good shoes, 2 pairs actually. Rotate them out, day to day.

Oh... yeah... good point... I actually like to rotate a third pair of shoes into the mix occasionally to tell me when my current pairs are wearing out.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

CReW Skies,
bubbles

The wife does marathons and tri's and is very happy with her Garmin training GPS. It has some pretty slick software that allows the user to glean a lot of useful data from each run.

Chuck

The wife does marathons and tri's and is very happy with her Garmin training GPS. It has some pretty slick software that allows the user to glean a lot of useful data from each run.

Chuck

Garmin actually just came out with their Forerunner 405. It's their best one yet (since it's the smallest)!

In my first post in this thread I mentioned the Timex, since it is the basic basic, and is a quality watch. I guess it should also be mentioned that a heart-rate monitor and GPS, although cool as hell to have and play with, are not absolutely necessary for training. Still, here are my recommendations:

Watch only: Timex Ironman Triathlon Sleek 50-lap
Watch & HRM: Anything from Polar (I have the F11)
Watch, HRM & GPS: Garmin Forerunner 405 (or one of the cheaper, but bigger models)

I have the Timex and a Polar, but don't use the Polar that often since I find the strap rubs below my chest a bit much. I like the idea of having GPS for those really long runs that you don't feel like planning out too much and it will still tell you how far you've gone and what pace you're keeping. Maybe I'll get a 405 sometime in the near future.

Hey I just finished my first marathon this weekend and used the Polar 400SD during the training. Mistakes I made:

1) Running way too many miles in a week even though I could do it. At some point, your body will give out. Stick to the minimal program. I stuck with level 1 noviceHal Higdon but went to intermediate cause I thought it was easy. My body gave out and took me awhile to recoup.

2) Run or walk but keep your heart rate relatively low. I think max @ 75% or lower. This will allow you to go the distance

3) Have a good shoe store watch your actual pace stride and buy the shoes, get some anti-blistering socks when your at it.

4) Buy body glide for chaffing, its available at sports authority

5) Over training will get you sick, your immune system will go down contray to belief. Be ultra concious, you will get sick.

6) You may want to start out on a treadmill but quickly start running outdoors, its totally different. I think yoga was a good crosstrain since it kept me loose and also helped my skydiving out!

7) Any dramatic changes in distance per week, they say over 10%, will hurt you. I found this true with pace and heart rate. Small changes, you have time!

I'm sure there is other stuff. I don't know your body composition, but I weighted 209lbs before and now weight 185, although that is a good amount of weight lost don't expect dramatic change. Most of that came off in the first month of training.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC