bigway

Strange PM i just got

I got this from a member of the dz.com community. Not going to say who has it was private i guess but i have never spoken to the person, and to be honest i can not make any sense of it.
The person also does not publish their jump numbers.

Anyone got a clue?

As a point of courtesy you should be at least updating your info biannually. (Kind of like using a turn signal in a car).

Edit: the PM was titled jump numbers.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

:S Whatever!

What people type in the jump numbers profile means nothing. They could put in 1 and have 10,000, put in 9,999,999 and have 0, or *gasp* actually put in their correct jump numbers.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Whats the big deal about putting your skydiving experience in your profile? This is, after all, a skydiving forum. :S
That being said, obviously nobody is going to kick you out if you have 0 jumps. But around here, 0 jumps normally means 0 experience. Its nice to let people who don't know you, have an idea of how seriously to take your advice.

I guess it has something to do with me selling gear.

The reason i posted it was to see if anyone could make sense of the car statement.

The truth is, i dont know how many jumps i have. I did 200 in my first 5 months of skydiving, about 300 in that year. I kind of stopped logging jumps around there as i never really saw a reason to log them as i didnt want to be a tandem master or anything.

I log the odd jump so when i get asked by a dropzone or something i just say 400 jumps as that is about all i can prove with my log book i think, 400-500 logged jumps.
I did 300 in my first year and then did 3-4 jumps nearly everyday while working at a dropzone... they use to print off all my jumps for me every now and then but paper does not really have a long life when backpacking around the world for 6 years as a skydiver.:D

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If he routinely posts in the disciplines sections, I could see how someone would want to weigh the post with the experience, with the caveat that this is the internet and people do lie (as Cora pointed out)

If, however, he typically only posts in bonfire or the community pages, why should his jump numbers matter. Are you "better" in the community if you have 16k jumps? Is your opinion on "boobies" more relevant with skygod status? The community is a collection of those who either have or wish to experience one of the greatest adventures - Life. It's the spirit here.... not how many times that you've thrown your self out of an airplane.

I post alot in the gear section so that is probably it.

Should i be posting how many hours i have sold gear for though?

I have sold well over $100k worth of gear in distributor prices this year, surely that would have more weight than how many times i have jumped?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If you're selling some gear, and you say you have 2 jumps, yeah that would be a red flag to me, too.

But I can't help you with the turn signal analogy. NO idea what that means. :D

Some people have told me that they dont fill in their jump numbers because they dont jump anymore and they're a little embarrassed that they still post all the time. So thats fine.. dont fill it in. Or just get over it.. nobody cares but them. Or start jumping again and have nothing to be embarrassed about. Or move on.

I don't know that jump numbers really should weigh heavy in the gear section.

Caveat emptor

when buying ANYTHING, especially something designed to save your life, whether you purchase it at a store on the dz, from an online distributor. used from the classified sections here, or even from ebay - I would want to know what I was buying and why, I would have researched my options and found the one that best suited my needs and wouldn't trust it before inspecting it and (if applicable) having a rigger that I do trust look at it.

The person that sold it to me might be the most knowledgeable on the equipment or might be a wuffo that is just working in the store trying to make some cash. Ultimately, it's my choice to buy it, and I tend to do my own footwork (well.... not right now.... but in a couple of weeks... :S:D)

I don't know that jump numbers really should weigh heavy in the gear section.

Caveat emptor

when buying ANYTHING, especially something designed to save your life, whether you purchase it at a store on the dz, from an online distributor. used from the classified sections here, or even from ebay - I would want to know what I was buying and why, I would have researched my options and found the one that best suited my needs and wouldn't trust it before inspecting it and (if applicable) having a rigger that I do trust look at it.

The person that sold it to me might be the most knowledgeable on the equipment or might be a wuffo that is just working in the store trying to make some cash. Ultimately, it's my choice to buy it, and I tend to do my own footwork (well.... not right now.... but in a couple of weeks... :S:D)

I agree. I dont think i have ever sold anything to anyone that does not know what they want or at least what type of canopy their instructor has suggested. They only come to me because of my prices and customer service.
When i get asked a question that is out of my league i pass them on to the right person.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

The person who hit me up about it posts all their posts in the instructors forum and they do not post their jump numbers. I have replied to their PM but they kept posting without replying to my PM.

Just seems a bit strange.

I post about gear and dont have my jump numbers written in and they post about being an instructor but do not reveal their jump numbers.

Bit of a hypocryte (sp) if you ask me.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Sure i do, My website and emails.

Anyway, i was just trying to figure out the car statement.

I guess that he/she thinks using the turn signal is a courtesy in driving. But, technically, it's a law. Whereas posting correct jump numbers, although it might be a courtesy, is not required.

(I'm thinking not using turn signals might be a pet peeve of his/hers)

I didn't think of it that way but I guess that makes me a SKYGOD!!!!

... I would tell them to go fuck themselves until they fill out their profile. Don't forget to add "Have a nice day" and a :)

:D:D
Let's test this theory...
Go fuck yourself, Chris.
...and Have a Nice Day.
:)

Extra smileys for the mods:
:)
and one :P for good measure.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239