Mostly_Harmless

Sunglasses Re-visited

I know that there are a lot of threads that discuss sunglasses out there but I didn't really find the answer I was hoping to find so I am turning to all the experts. I am currently about to switch over to jumping with contacts. I am new to the contact world. I would like to know if anyone jumps with contacts and sunglasses. Which sunglasses do you use? Right now I am trying to concerntrate on learning how to sit-fly, so I need glasses that can hold up to the higher speeds of FF. Any suggestions.

Good luck...

There are many, many threads started by contact lens wearers asking which goggles are best, and most gravitate towards flexvisions..

I imagine that since you're new to wearing contacts you'll soon notice that regardless of what others say, it's the shape of your face combined with the shape of the sunglasses that matters, so unless you get a suggestion from an identical twin, it's worthless.

Worst thing that can happen though, is that they blow out, right?
If that's no problem, experiment all you like.;)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Yup... Those things can make you look like you're in a fish tank!:)
Generally, as airspeed picks up, you want a lower profile too. Plastic goggles also have a couple of safety benefits over sunglasses or cooler looking motorcycle type goggles. I've seen several cases of those turning into cookie cutters in the event of a collision or a landing that went worse than planned.

Sunglasses do look cool, but landing blind, or having great big scars around your eyeballs looks very uncool. It's all about keeping the balance.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

so I need glasses that can hold up to the higher speeds of FF.

I didn't know sunglasses had a maximum airspeed rating....lol :P

If a pair of sunglasses can handle 120mph, they can most probably handle those "higher speeds" you'll encounter freeflying......lol ;)

For what its worth, I jump with Nike "Squares" sunglasses, they have pop out lenses, look kind of flimsy as they pop in, but I have only lost one lense in 1500 jumps with them, tandem, RW, sitfly, headdown, and I only lost a lense while taking them off under canopy, not in freefall. They were $100 I think, and they come with a second set of lenses.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

good old fashion clear plastic goggles:
Pros - Cheap, inexpensive, tend to do a better job of keeping the wind out of your eyes, easier to find a pair that fit your face, less likely to lose a contact lens, safer if performing an fpl(face plant landing), readily available at most dropzones, safer in low-light situations.

Cons - they don't look as cool as sunglasses

but hey, looking cool is important

Methane Freefly - got stink?

If you were to lose a contact in freefall how badly would your eye sight be affected? Could you still see your alti, emergency handles and handle an off landing safely?

Sunglasses aren't quite as secure as goggles and most will let more wind in than well fitting goggles. If loosing your lenses during the dive would be a big deal I'd stick to goggles.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

My vision isn't horrible at all. I have trouble seeing far away (is that nearsited or farsited?). My alti and handles are in perfect view. I shouldn't have a problem if I land off either. Like I said my vision isn't really that bad. Great thoughts though, thanks for the concerns altichick.

What was said about face shape is very important when it comes to contacts and what you use to keep them in during freefall. I have always used sunglasses of all types when jumping contacts and have never lost a lens but for some reason every time i try to use the goggles, again of various different types, i always lose a contact lens. I have no idea why they work for me but with 300 jumps using sunglasses and never losing a lens and about 10 with goggles and losing about that many lenses my mind is made up. Now i have PRK done on my eyes and never been happier.

Ironically, I have had more problem with the flex-z style goggles than any other. The three times I've worn them to terminal, including saturday evening, I've lost a contact each time. Yeah, it was just on the inside of the goggle, but if my vision wasn't decent anyway, I might have been in trouble. Fortunately, my vision -is- pretty good and I just had to do a lower speed approach than I otherwise would have.

The $20 pair of motorcycle goggles I wear haven't presented an issue on my belly, back, sitting, standing, or even in the head down I did last night.
cavete terrae.

Hey I like the cruiser lite goggles that para gear has. Just make sure the strap is nice and tight. If you think it is tight tighten it down a little more and that will do you. They are comfortable, and I had no problems. I have there set with the three interchangeable lenses. If you wanted to you could have them make you a prescription goggle lense too.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192