jumper03

swift plus - the manual

There was a reserve ride a few weekends ago on one and now it sits in the loft waiting. I started the inspection and thought "oh wow, no wonder he landed funny, the brakes are all fucked up...." :D

Then I remember seeing a swift plus being packed in Eloy and there being a wierd brake setting. So I go to look in the swift plus manual to figure out what the heck I'm supposed to do. No manual :(

Not having manuals to all the stuff is my biggest hurdle right now. I've got a lot, but not all.

So, in searching the threads here, I didn't find one posted. Does someone have one available?

And maybe we could talk sangiro into creating a repository of manuals here? I'm sure between all of us, we could fill it up.

Thanks in advance!
Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Hi jumper03,

I have a manual titled 'CIRRUS RESERVE/SWIFT RESERVE PACKING INSTRUCTIONS.'

It is dated Feb '84. I could make a copy for you but it is nearly 40 pages. However, I am thinking that this may just be for the original 5-cell Swift. It says on the cover '**The CIRRUS RESERVE and SWIFT RESERVE are packed identically with the exception of the deployment brakes which are covered seperately in these packing instructions.'

Also, as I read the section(s) about setting the brakes, they do not seem to make a lot of sense. I used to own (and pack) a 5-cell Swift reserve so I am sure if I had the canopy in front of me it would make sense. I do not remember being confused at the time I owned & packed the reserve.

I also have the EOS manual but that is about 100 pages; no offer from me to copy that novel.

Try contacting Para-Flite (they have a web-site), they have been fairly good about supplying things like this. I just got a new reserve pilot chute for an EOS rig that needs one.

HTH, Jerry

PS) As for 'wierd' brake settings, I am thinking that would apply to a 5-cell Swift and not the 7-cell Swift Plus. Now, if you want really 'different' brake settings take a look at a Safety Flyer (if you can find one).

PPS) I can be reached on 503-481-4714, no early calls, I am on the west coast & I like to sleep in.

The brakes on a swift plus are not unusual. I've had a ride on the 200 and 225 sqft versions with excellent deployments and landings. The old, original 5 cell swift had unusual brake lines.

The reason he may have landed funny is because there isn't much flare to be had from them. Also, watch out for the Airworthiness Directive/Service Bulletin on the old swift for bad rib shape, and the swift plus check before about '94 regarding bartacks.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

As stated before, the original 177 SQ FT 5-cell Swift has the weird brake setting.

The 7-cell Swift Plus 175, followed by the 225 and 145, had normal deployment brake setting.

I have hard copy manuals for both, but they are buried in the attic. I will see what I can dredge up at work tomorrow.

Just figure out which Swift you have. The R number in the serial is the indicator. If I remember correctly the Swift was R3. I can look in my logbook and find one from back in the day.
Arrive Safely

John

I looked at my photocopied manual -- While you may want the full manual in the long run, in practical terms what's needed is a copy of the few pages that cover setting the brakes. (There's also brake line trim info in the manual.) I could scan the manual but it sounds like you'll soon have other sources.

Otherwise the manual just shows a basic old style reserve flat pack, with the last part covering how to put the Swift canopy into a Swift rig. The tail is flaked normally despite not having brake lines to the back corners.

I once came across a Swift that had had the brakes assembled incorrectly. It was missed by 8 different riggers, in the US & Canada, military & civilian. It was only discovered after a friend of mine had to use it. Only the 'fly away' lines went through the guide rings, but not the lines to the toggles. No big deal; he just made sure he didn't let go of the toggles once he popped them!

The reason he may have landed funny is because there isn't much flare to be had from them.

It was my first reserve experience when I had about 150 jumps! Let me tell, when I released the brakes, I thought I lost the brake lines!:S
Landing? That's ugly!!!!
The swift was designed on the time that the most important thing is to have an opened reserve canopy over your head to save your life! Landing was just a simple detail, who cares right??!!!:ph34r:
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

Just figure out which Swift you have. The R number in the serial is the indicator. If I remember correctly the Swift was R3. I can look in my logbook and find one from back in the day.

Also note that there are some that have an AD on them.
The wrong rib was installed at the factory.

Several have never been fixed/returned and are still out there some where.
I found one a few years back that was still being packed and in service without the AD compliance.

Compilance with the AD should be noted somewhere on the canopy if it has been done.

The info is in PPM.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Maybe this document can help!

Cheers,
Gus Marinho

If the serial number starts with R3-####, it is an original, 5-cell SWift reserve and you need to confirm that the rig Service Bulletin was done. Normally this is stamped on the center tail, near the data panel.

If the serial number starts with R6-####, it is a 7-cell Swift Plus and you need to inspect the C-D line cascades to confirm that the Service Bulletin was done.
Note, I have repacked dozens of Swift Pluses since the SB was released. A few of them had wide bartacks, but none wide enough to miss the inner line.

Either SB should be written on the reserve packing data card.

If the serial number starts with R3-####, it is an original, 5-cell SWift reserve and you need to confirm that the rig Service Bulletin was done. Normally this is stamped on the center tail, near the data panel.

If the serial number starts with R6-####, it is a 7-cell Swift Plus and you need to inspect the C-D line cascades to confirm that the Service Bulletin was done.
Note, I have repacked dozens of Swift Pluses since the SB was released. A few of them had wide bartacks, but none wide enough to miss the inner line.

Either SB should be written on the reserve packing data card.

What I posted is an AD issued by the FAA not a SB issued by the manufacture.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/167052B6207ADC5486256A39004C94A4?OpenDocument
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'll email you the three pages from the manual about stowing the 5 cell swift brakes if you send me an email address. Too big to attach. The deal is the loop on the free hanging portion of the steering line goes through the gromment, through the ring and the toggle through the loop. This was before velcro reserve toggles and the tubular webbing toggles were tacked in place.

I only have these three pages in pdf. I've sent them out a couple of times before.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE