Telek

Suggestions wanted on buying a new canopy

Hello all,

I am in a bit of a predicament. I have a 30% off certificate for a brand new PD canopy, however as I am still a student this is not the best time to buy new...

To lay out the details, I'm 27, about 130lbs (stop laughing!) 5'9", and am using a 220 student rig and am quite comfortable with it. I've had 18 jumps (well, 18 canopy rides, 6 AFF and 12 IAD), so my canopy handling skills are not too bad.

What I figured that I would do would be to buy a 135 or 150 and stick it on the shelf for a year or two until I am ready to use it.

I figure once I have my solo I will likely want to use a 170 or 190 (I don't know, any suggestions?), and from those I have spoken to, I suspect that I will quickly want to downgrade to a 135 or 150 (i.e. within 100-150 jumps), but that a 135 or 150 would last me for a while.

So I proposed to PD to buy a 135/150, but they are suggesting that I should just buy what I will use at first, and are implying that they will not sell me a canopy that is to small for my current skill set.

This must be used before the end of March, so there isn't much time left to decide. I figured that it would not be a big deal, so I wanted until now to have enough money to do this transaction.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions!

How about buying a reserve canopy? Do you need one? It's a thought... If you're assembling a rig, you're gonna need a reserve and you don't usually downsize the reserve unless you're downsizing the container. I'd say a PD 176-R might be right up your ally... Then you can pick up a used main and downsize it a couple of times before you ever think about downsizing your container and reserve.

If you're stuck on getting a main, then depending on your size and weight (ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR) I'd say you couldn't go wrong with getting a Spectre 170 because they hold a resail value like you would not believe. Just my .02

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

I would recommend avoiding anything smaller than the 170 until you have at least 200 jumps or more. I realize that probably seems like a lot right now, but it isn't very many jumps. The skill set necessary to fly smaller canopies well is best obtained by flying large canopies.

As previously mentioned, a new PD ZP canopy in the 170-190 size range will hold its resale value very well, better than nearly any other canopy size. It is impossible for me to keep enough used canopies in stock in that size range. The demand is very high.

For Great Deals on Gear

Bear in mind that it is ususlly possible to get 20% discount from dealers, maybe more if you are buying a complete system.

IMO by trying to decide in a rush you risk loosing more than you might gain.... and if you make a bad canopy choice the loss may be more than just financial.

If you really want to use the coupon, I'd suggest buying a canopy you can safely fly now. You should be able to sell something in that size range easily when you're ready to downsize.

This bears repeating: there's a great market for 170s and 190s. You'd be able to sell one with a couple of hundred jumps on it for fairly close to what you paid for it.

ZP (Zero Porosity) refers to the type of fabric used in the manufacture of your parachute. Pretty much all new sport canopies these days are ZP.

When it comes to purchasing a new PD canopy, there are two options that are suitable for you and will hold their resale value: the Spectre and the Sabre2. PD also make the Silhouette, but I think its resale value won't be quite as good.

Both the Spectre and Sabre2 are excellent canopies and will serve you well. I did 350 jumps on a Spectre 190 and loved it. Versatile, tough, and great openings. Probably not the ideal canopy if you want to learn to swoop, but otherwise there ain't much I can say against it.

You could be right, but the PD FAQ calls it Zero-Porosity.

And, since permeable is a synonym of porous, I think we can agree that it doesn't matter too much :P.

Agreed that it does not matter much in this context, and in common discussions ZP does stand for 0-porosity.

HOWEVER (since we're being anal here:)
Gentle lords, ladies and DZ rats, please let me quote from the sacred scrolls TPM Volume II, Glossary:

Permeability: The measure of a volume of air that will pass through a given area of cloth in one minute at a given pressure.

Porosity: The ratio of open space to covered area of the drag-producing surface. Expressed in percent. Used for ringslot, ribbon, ringsale, totofoil and sport-modified round canopies. Do not confuse with fabric permeability.

So sayith the Pointer, so sayith we all.

-----------------------------

SO folks, it seems that TECHNICALLY the fabric would be Zero-Permeable.

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I'm 27 years old, 5'8" weigh 130 and jump a 190 and have been since jump 16. I have no plans on downsizing anytime soon, as I want to really learn to fly the canopy and wring out every drop of knowledge I can get from it before I go any smaller. I want to do my learning and make my mistakes under a more forgiving canopy.

There's no hurry to downsize. Each canopy has a lot it can teach you if you keep it long enough to learn.