chuckakers

How many ways can you....

kill a tandem student?

4:50 - dump in place while the tandem pair is still sniveling right above you. Probably not a problem....unless they cut away, of course.

6:13 - do a little tandem CReW. Just an end cell bump to add some excitement for the carnival riders that didn't pay for the added risk, nor understand it.

6:57 - such irony in the soundtrack, but still the best darn backwards tandem dock I've ever seen.

Nice 180 hook at 8:31 too.

What the f*ck are you people thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCh7Psubs9g&feature=related
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Bonus points for NOT getting one frame of footage of what had to be a sweet wingover after the tandem left the Otter. With the sun low in the sky to boot, those would have been some nice pics.

I also liked when he got his top mounted camera stuck in his slider down near the ground.

The really scary part about all the hijinx is that you can tell that wasn't the first time they put on that show. That routine probably happens on a pretty regular basis, which means that at least two TIs, one camera guy, a DZO and an S&TA all seem to think it's ok.

I don't know which is more amazing:

-- That these folks engaged in this behavior.

OR

-- That these folks engaged in this behavior WHILE ON CAMERA.

I sure hope that the relevant supervisors at the DZ view this and make the necessary changes before someone gets hurt.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

you missed the moron video guy almost take out the whuffo with the camera running out in the landing area.
No wonder we keep having incidents.

dumbasses!!!

Whats a whuffo doing in the landing area in the first place? :|

Oh, just watching a little skydiving from the front row....unsupervised.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Whats a whuffo doing in the landing area in the first place?

Properly briefed and properly supervised spectators are not a problem, (but of course it appears that neither were true on this landing).

The "supervisor" must "read" a spectator just like an instructor must read a student, and anticipate what they might do, that is, stand there quietly, or go running off.

Most DZ's are not willing to do this (or perhaps do not have time), so it is easier to just say, "no spectators in the landing area."

(Same with observers, too, as we have unfortunately learned recently.)

The really scary part about all the hijinx is that you can tell that wasn't the first time they put on that show. That routine probably happens on a pretty regular basis, which means that at least two TIs, one camera guy, a DZO and an S&TA all seem to think it's ok.

Yep. Took about 3 minutes to find this one. Nice passenger dock at 5:28. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4tEjGXyPU&feature=related

Another passenger dock on this one at 4:53 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn1U0SWHqO0

or how 'bout this one with the passenger holding the vidiots canopy after another backwards dock at 5:29 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMK0n9fEExI

Wonder what Bill Booth and the USPA head shed think about such incredible skills.;)

Anyone? anyone?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

how 'bout this one with the passenger holding the vidiots canopy after another backwards dock

How 'bout the way the TI spirals the canopy while still facing backwards? That's a canopy collision waiting to happen.

Yes, I caught that too. The TI does that in numerous vids I watched. There are also a bunch of side-to-side passes extremely close to the camera.

Just search youtube for "skydive tandem twin cities".

Wonder if anyone from the DZ will chime in on this. Hmmm.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Yep. Took about 3 minutes to find this one. Nice passenger dock at 5:28. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4tEjGXyPU&feature=related

Another passenger dock on this one at 4:53 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn1U0SWHqO0

or how 'bout this one with the passenger holding the vidiots canopy after another backwards dock at 5:29 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMK0n9fEExI

Wonder what Bill Booth and the USPA head shed think about such incredible skills.;)

Anyone? anyone?

the kool kids tell me they can do this stuff without any problem

I mean what is the problem? What can go wrong? I'm sure they have mad skillz.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I can see from a wuffo stand point, that this video really stands out from other tandem videos...

However, from a skydivers stand point, WTF are these guys thinking?

Ill give credit where its due, thats some fucking nice canopy skills, but not with a student!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Ill give credit where its due, thats some fucking nice canopy skills,

Don't be fooled. None of that takes anything more than basic canopy flying skills. The TIs are doing nothing but sitting there, and the camera guy is just docking on a stable base.

It's the RW equivilant of docking on a coach laying a stable base. Might look cool to a bystander, but a skydiver knows that it's nothing special.

I dont get much CReW around here, maybe next month when Im on leave and at Spaceland, I can find someone to show me the ropes.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

did the third guy on the hop n pop chop??? i keep looking at it and it looks like the canopy is off and a freebag has appeared??? :)

It looked that way, I replayed it a few times...

What it looks like is someone before and lower than him pulling

Properly briefed and properly supervised spectators are not a problem.

Other than the fact that they usually haven't signed the waiver. If there is a spectator standing near my cameraflyer they will miss the landing shot as I will land away.

Other than the fact that they usually haven't signed the waiver. If there is a spectator standing near my cameraflyer they will miss the landing shot as I will land away.

Yep, they can be there, but there are limitations. It would seem that a good place for them is to be well in back of the video person, where that can zoom in to get just the student landing, or zoom out to include the video person.

However, it is the product only -- that's not the Spaceland DZ or people (other than the pilot, probably).

Not that Spaceland is perfect, but accuracy is good...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Properly leashed, briefed and properly supervised spectators are not a problem, (but of course it appears that neither were true on this landing).

The "supervisor" must "read" a spectator just like an instructor must read a student, and anticipate what they might do, that is, stand there quietly, or go running off.

Most DZ's are not willing to do this (or perhaps do not have time), so it is easier to just say, "no spectators in the landing area."

(Same with observers, too, as we have unfortunately learned recently.)
Fixed it for you. :o

Half kidding.

I keep thinking "nice flying" when watching these videos. While screaming inwardly "not on a bloody tandem you [unspeakable]."
Johan.
I am. I think.

Did anyone bother to explain WHY tandem canopy formations were banned back in the mid-1980s?

I forget whether it was the first tandem fatality or the second, but a clumsy canopy dock followed by a wrap - followed by another mistake ... killed a tandem pair and that was why tandem canopy formations were banned a quarter century ago!

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

Did anyone bother to explain WHY tandem canopy formations were banned back in the mid-1980s?

I forget whether it was the first tandem fatality or the second, but a clumsy canopy dock followed by a wrap - followed by another mistake ... killed a tandem pair and that was why tandem canopy formations were banned a quarter century ago!

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

I'm waiting to see a post from one of the people in the video - or any of the many like it I found easily on youtube. Maybe one of these folks...like the Tandem Instructor/Examiner, maybe.

http://skydivetwincities.com/staff.htm
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX