dmetz

New Canopy...?

Ok, so I'm planning on getting a new canopy in the near future. Now I'm flying a Sabre1 170, it does the job, but feels really sluggish and tired, and the openings suck. Besides, the wife found out how old it was and how many jumps it has on it,(the numbers seem TOO big for her, I'm not argueing) so now she gets nervous about it and wants me to get a new one. How can I say no to that, I get to buy something for myself without a fight or guilt.

Anyway...I want to stay around the 170 size but want something more fun that I wont get too bored with. I really don't foresee wanting to downsize for long, long time; but I want to enjoy the canopy I have all the while. Of course I've read all the forums and talked it over with people here, and everyone mentions the Sabre2, Safire2, and Pilot. Are there any others that I should check out? If I plan to stay at a rather conservative WL could I go for something slightly more aggressive? Or is that not an even trade? Believe me, I'm not thinking anywhere near a Velo or anything like it; but I want this to be a smart buy...now and in the future.

And yes, I WILL discuss everything with the experienced folks who know me and my abilities, and demo before I make a decision.

Thanks for any constructive input.

Dan

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

I'm sure some people won't agree with me on this but a stiletto 170 is more high performance. Talk it over with the experienced people at your DZ and see if its a good canopy for you. Another canopy could be a Nitron 170 a little less in performance compared to the stilleto but more than a sabre.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Good for you Dan.
Demoing and asking advice is smart.
So far you have gotte npretty good advice and not much else needs to be added.

So have fun with your NEW Sabre II 170;).
(Ooops that slipped out.)
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Compared to all the mid-range canopies mentioned here, what would be the next step in performance that I could be safe under now at a 1.2WL, and continue to enjoy it as I progress in experience.

Now I feel like I'm flying a mid-size sedan, and I'd like to move to a mid-size sport coupe. (pardon the analogy)

I'm not looking for definitive answers here, I know better than that, I just want y'all to give me some ideas of what to check out.

Thanks

Someone mentioned the Stiletto and the Nitron...Should I bother researching them and talking to my coaches and mentors about it; or are they way out of my league? Or just a waste of performance at my WL?

I know the cardinal rule: don't go down in size and up in performance at the same time. If I stay at the same size, can I take a bigger step up in performance? I know going from a Sabre1 to a Sabre2 will show me a little bit of change; and that may be enough for now, but could I take a bigger step and still be safe, but also enjoy it longer?

Both of those are good canopies too, I prefer the Nitron over a Stiletto by faaaar, but that's just me. Based on your jump numbers it's probably a good idea to go with one of the semi-ellipticals for a while before going to a full elliptical. A Nitron would be a gigantic change from a Sabre, more than you need at this point most likely. Try a Nitron 170 out a hundred or so jumps from now and I bet you'll love it!
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

A Crossfire is a fully elliptical canopy is is suited towards experienced pilots with a decent level of currency.

A Crossfire/Katana in the hands of a low/uncurrent jumper is a "bad thing" TM
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

A Crossfire is a fully elliptical canopy is is suited towards experienced pilots with a decent level of currency.

A Crossfire/Katana in the hands of a low/uncurrent jumper is a "bad thing" TM

And the Katana and Crossfire really shouldn't be in the same performance class either. The Katana is damn near a x-braced. Without the flare power.;) Very bad thing for anyone in this guy's position.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Someone mentioned the Stiletto and the Nitron...Should I bother researching them and talking to my coaches and mentors about it; or are they way out of my league? Or just a waste of performance at my WL?

I don't know much about the Nitron, but the Stiletto, while a great canopy in its own right, is probably not going to be as suitable for you if you plan on flying higher performance canopies (Katana, Velocity) later. A Sabre2 would be a better intermediate step.

For Great Deals on Gear