Richards

Man swimming with great white (no cage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KzRsxh1VdM

Is this real? If so he is fucking nuts. At one point there are 2 great whites. He is grabbing the damn thing so it drags him for a ride. I would be screeching so loud and in such a high pitch that windows on the next continent would shatter (think chris tucker in the 5th element or drew barrymore in ET)
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

yup its real, i watched similar (maybe the same person) on discovery...

Theres also a guy who swims with GWs but at the floor of the ocean, he believes that its safe since great whites feed on the surface. Its amazing.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I dont know if this is the same guy, but I watched a similar show on Discovery or TLC with someone free swimming with a Great White. I was captivated by the show. The purpose was to show people that the shark wasn't the feared predator that the world has made it out to be. Thats ok, I still don't plan on swimming with a Great White or any other shark for that matter...;)

Theres also a guy who swims with GWs but at the floor of the ocean, he believes that its safe since great whites feed on the surface.

Has he informed the sharks that they are only supposed to feed at the surface?

I guess the guy has his logic but I think I would give that a pass.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Has he informed the sharks that they are only supposed to feed at the surface?

Hes still alive... granted I think its thier instinct since they prefer foods that are at the surface or close to. I love GWs, its amazing the strength they have.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I saw a show about some guy that did this "tonic" something or other trick. One breed of shark would go into a tonic state when on its back (belly facing the surface of the water). With the great white I think it was rubbing the side of his face or something.

Looked to me like the guy was nuts, but seemed to be quite intelligent.

Walt

I saw a show about some guy that did this "tonic" something or other trick. One breed of shark would go into a tonic state when on its back (belly facing the surface of the water). With the great white I think it was rubbing the side of his face or something.

An amphibious timothy treadwell

same thing i was thinking, play with the sharks (bears) long enough and they will get tired of having you around :S
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

He was nowhere *near* as nuts as Treadwell. I must admit a certain admiration for Treadwell, though.

Walt

I must admit a certain admiration for Treadwell, though.

Me too. He contributed to the betterment of human evolution by removing himself from the gene pool

I must admit a certain admiration for Treadwell, though.

Me too. He contributed to the betterment of human evolution by removing himself from the gene pool

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Walt

Wow - did you see the 270 that the shark did?:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Wow - did you see the 270 that the shark did?:ph34r:

Yeah, and I'm glad he didn't take out anyone with him.

Walt

he will eventually - :D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Damn.... I heard her scream like a little girl. [:/]

If you are referring to the first one she actually almost died. Apparently her heart stopped several times on the way to the hospital (saw the documentary) and she lost her leg. She has since done shark dives. As for her screaming like a little girl, well....so would I.

The purpose was to show people that the shark wasn't the feared predator that the world has made it out to be.

Well, the real purpose was to have ones ego trip shown on TV, and with all of these yahoos the bar to stand out has gotten a bit ridiculous. Within a couple years someone will try to stick his head inside the jaws like they do with crocs.

Of course it was only a few years ago we had the shark week dude talking about how he could walk around the shallows with bull sharks and would be safe because he controlled his heart rate. Within a couple years, that proved hilariously false. We'll see how this need to ride sharks for cameras at Gadalupe works out.

It is true that there are no known attacks by whites on the bottom. There have been at least some mid water column, but it's predominately surprise attacks at the surface.

It is true that there are no known attacks by whites on the bottom. There have been at least some mid water column, but it's predominately surprise attacks at the surface.

I'm presuming your name (kelpdiver) is not just some random od handle but actually a reference to the fact that you engage in kelp diving. Any "oh shit" moments with great whites?

I'm presuming your name (kelpdiver) is not just some random od handle but actually a reference to the fact that you engage in kelp diving. Any "oh shit" moments with great whites?

Never seen one, but that doesn't mean they weren't around. NorCal visibility is often less than the nose to tail length of a big one. Very few divers run into them in the open water. I've dived without the cage at the Farallones, but that was out of season for the whites. Given their rank on the food chain as the top dog, there aren't that many of them.

closest to an oh shit moment was in Hawaii when a 7' hammerhead and I played a game of chicken from 100ft apart. Right at the time both I and the other divers found it getting a bit "interesting" it veered off.

Never seen one, but that doesn't mean they weren't around. NorCal visibility is often less than the nose to tail length of a big one.

Less than nose to tail? So basically if you had seen one it would have been way to late to do anything about it.

Never seen one, but that doesn't mean they weren't around. NorCal visibility is often less than the nose to tail length of a big one.

Less than nose to tail? So basically if you had seen one it would have been way to late to do anything about it.

If you saw Air Jaws, you know how fast they hit a surface target. So for that, yeah, you'd see teeth and get hit before your brain even registers fully.

But the encounters I've heard are people swimming over an underwater ridge and suddenly coming upon one in the deep where they swim more slowly. See it go by and spend the rest of the time wondering if it was really the landlord or not.