karenmeal

Question for the crafty/handy types..

I'm just finishing up a big tile mosaic that I inset into the middle portion of an old door. I'm going to stick some legs on this thing and make it a desk. Originally I was planning on putting a piece of glass down over the tile portion to level it up with the rest of the door.. but I don't have enough room for a piece of glass with the thickness of the tile and the adhesive I used.

Is there some substance I can pour over the top of everything (I'm thinking of the bar at Lost Prairie) that will level it all out (doesn't have to be perfect) to make a better writing surface? And also, is this substance safe with grout?

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

i think that clear polyurethane sealer is used for such bar tops... It takes multiple coats...
and in some cases an 1/8 inch or more, of build up...

Maybe band the edges with rigid cardboard to serve as a "form"
Apply 2" clear tape the entire area of the form, where it contacts the table, both inside and out, to facilitate removal when dry, AND to seal against loss of the poly, when it is added...
then pour the 'clear' onto the table and allow LOTS of time for it to set...maybe use a fan to keep the air, moving...
best to do this maybe in a garage, or if weather allows, outdoors... because of fumes.

Sealers like this can be sanded and the edges can be shaped, if needed, once dry, but such thickness could take days to set up...so be patient...;)

then a final light brushing, as a finished coat. and you should be good...
Gloss poly, seems preferable to satin, for this application...
.... maybe a sealer over the tile and grout, before the polyurethane,,, so that there is no interaction between the grout and the clear...

check with a few paint supply places...and sure check with whomever may have knolwledge about the bar at L P ...

enjoy your 'work of art' table.:)
jmy
a 3914

I asked a friend who did this, and they said they used a two part epoxy, in one coat. Bought it in cans instead of tubes, and used a polymer band tacked around the outside edge of the table to keep it from running off the top. Looked really cool, lasted on lots of tables in the bar for better than 10 years under really hard(lots of drunks!) conditions.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]