billbooth

Main Lines Entangling With Flaps

I noticed you asserted with some authority that double stowing can cause bag locks I don't want to hijack this thread but some time ago I asked a question here

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1738144#1738144

Smiler asked the same question earlier here

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1737814#1737814

Again I repeat the question.

Does anybody have ANY direct evidence of double stowing causing a mal. Just because the bag didn't open does not mean the bands were to strong I have seen a baglock on a bag that had single stow with quite weak bands.

I hear a lot of anecdotal evidence but nobody has given a single case where double stowing caused a mal beyoned any doubt.

Nullius in Verba

Thanks... I was also having a hard time visualising it but that explained it really clearly.:)
One question... Do you have a central locking stow on your bag or just left and right? I'm not sure if a central locking stow could be a problem with the line that is looped under the other lines? Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

Could someone post a couple pics demonstrating this split stowing method? I'm having trouble visualizing what this is supposed to look like. So the last stowage requires two stow locations, one for each riser. Thanks.

I threw this together quickly last night and will append/edit if anyone provides feedback.

Jim

Very clear pictures. Thank you. I believe this is the best way to stow lines so far. However. the important point, no matter how you stow, is to leave as little unstowed line as possible.

John,

Honestly no. I have no direct proof that double stowing the locking stows will cause a bag lock. I repeat the long-held belief as it makes sense to me and would be a very hazardous condition. (And me erroring on the side of caution on this one.)

(Please also note that I only stipulate not to double wrap the locking stows, though I do double wrap all others.)

I will go back and read the prior discussion as I missed it the first time through. Would be interesting to see if one could provide any proof on this DZ legend.

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

One question... Do you have a central locking stow on your bag or just left and right? I'm not sure if a central locking stow could be a problem with the line that is looped under the other lines? Anyone got any thoughts on this?

On this rig and my Vector V8, no. 4 locking stows on the D-bags. However, I have also used a rig that has a center stow and it made no difference. Maybe I should make the following clarification:

Place the resulting loop under the lines from the previous NON-locking stows.

There really is no benefit to shoving it all the way the the closing flap. Remember you are simply tucking it under and out of the way.

Jim

Double locking stows may or may not cause a baglock. As usual, it depends. 1. Size of rubberbands...2. Size of line...3. Type of line (Spectra has a lot less friction than Vectran)...4. Size, material, and construction details of pilot chute...5. Speed at deployment. It's simply a question of release force of the lines vs. the drag of the pilot chute. Since a correctly designed pilot chute should pull near 100 pounds at terminal, and it should take no less than 5, nor more than 10 pounds to unstow a line group off a sport bag (7 - 15 lbs. on a large military or tandem bag), there is rarely a problem...unless something gets tangled up.

Double locking stows may or may not cause a baglock. As usual, it depends. 1. Size of rubberbands...2. Size of line...3. Type of line (Spectra has a lot less friction than Vectran)...4. Size, material, and construction details of pilot chute...5. Speed at deployment. It's simply a question of release force of the lines vs. the drag of the pilot chute. Since a correctly designed pilot chute should pull near 100 pounds at terminal, and it should take no less than 5, nor more than 10 pounds to unstow a line group off a sport bag (7 - 15 lbs. on a large military or tandem bag), there is rarely a problem...unless something gets tangled up.

Bill, the point I was trying to make is that in 15 years I have never seen a bag lock that was "directly" attributable to double stowing. I've seen them because of aysymetrical deployment of the line groups, I've seen bag locks caused by a bight of line getting caught on the tape that the rubber band is looped onto, but I have never seen a bag lock that was caused by a band, nor has anybody been able to show me one. Lots of people have tried to simulate a bag lock on the ground but every time the band has broken when pressure was put on the bridle, if the band hasn't broken I have been able to show every time that it was not the rubber band holding the bag closed.

I'm not saying that rubber bands don't cause bag locks. I'm asking sombody to show me how they do. I know a lot of riggers and not one has been able to so far.

Nullius in Verba

If 15 inches is the manual recommended length,but you like the idea of the shorter length,wouldn't packing grommet to pin facilitate keeping the lines at the shortest length? I never did like the idea of rotating the bag with excess line underneath.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

If 15 inches is the manual recommended length,but you like the idea of the shorter length,wouldn't packing grommet to pin facilitate keeping the lines at the shortest length? I never did like the idea of rotating the bag with excess line underneath.

I, too, sort of like the idea of just dropping the bag straight into the container without rotation...and a lot of people use this method already, to at least some degree. However, this is only possible with certain ratios of pack tray length vs height, and does not work very well on all rig sizes. There is also the problem of "pocketed" bottom corners, that might cause deployment problems on some rigs. Let's face it, the way we do things right now works very well (as long as we don't leave too much line unstowed). Any widespread change just might make things worse, not better. I am trying several different things right now in an effort to improve main deployments, but I don't know yet if anything I try will really make things any better.

no matter how you stow, is to leave as little unstowed line as possible.

OLD SCHOOL Bill, old school. Why? Because it WORKS !!!! "We've both been there done that"

Now it's time to educate a new generation!

" We must atone for the sins of our fathers", but hey they don't always listen do they?

And so it goes....

Mick.

hey,
many thanks for that, its very descriptive. I have read everyones response and really like the idea of reducing the amount of unstowed line to a minimum. One question I do however have is once you have made your final loop (1/2 width of the D-Bag - step 4 in your instructions) you tuck the remaining loop underneath all the lines groups. One potential problem I see with this is that while this loop is being extracted at a 90 degree angle to the D-Bag during deployment there will be some force on all the line groups. If this force was enough to unstow any of the line groups you could end up with not only an out of sequence deployment but also a potential line dump. What are everyones thoughts on this analysis?

Blue skies,
Everyone makes mistakes, just dont let them be your last.

One potential problem I see with this is that while this loop is being extracted at a 90 degree angle to the D-Bag during deployment there will be some force on all the line groups. If this force was enough to unstow any of the line groups you could end up with not only an out of sequence deployment but also a potential line dump. What are everyones thoughts on this analysis?

In my experience with my gear, this concern is mitigated by two observations:
1. The amount of tension required to release the 1/2 loop is (virtually) inconcequential and should flow with no resistance. Prove this to yourself by watching the deployment on the ground.*

2. The double-wrapped stows should be tight enough to keep the small force described in #1 to be of issue.

Also, had there been any drag of signifigance, there would have been line-burn at some point in the almost 500 jumps placed on each of two canopies. I have seen none.

Jim

* To the purists out there, I know that the dynamics of freefall deployment can be different, but I don't have the freefall video of the deployments to back it up... will have to work on that. ;-)

Just a guess, but me thinks you might be biting off more then you (or anyone) can chew. :):P

It has been tried. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=19

Sparky

I listened to part of that.Got the wide chest strap and risers.I also did the "check with the manufacture" concerning dbag placement.Here was the correspondence.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 11:40 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Main bag placement in container

Would it be ok to place the dbag in facing straight down (against the back pad)instead of being oriented to the bottom of the container?Its a brand new (OCT 03)J-2 and the main is a Cobalt 150.It really takes some work to get to the recommended orientation and I worry some of the lines may get tangled. Curt

Hi Curt
Try Pulling up on the closing loop retainer with your pull up cord as you are rotating the bag in that should help. We do prefer that you try to get the correct orientation of the bag, as opposed to droping it straight in with lines on the back pad.
Sincerely
Warren

Warren Latham
Sun Path Products, Inc
4439 Skydive Lane,
Zephyrhills, FL 33542
Phone: 813 782 9242
Fax: 813 788 3057
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.sunpath.com
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Clearly the well-discussed issue of line stowage affects whether a random line might catch around a flap. Another issue affecting the chance of entanglement might be the design of the side flaps.

Perhaps one wants to avoid very soft (easily deformable) sections next to very hard, stiff sections. Either keep the whole flap stiff, or the whole flap soft. Sharp taper on a flap may also be beneficial.

That's just a theory for discussion, and I'm wondering to what degree manufacturers have taken it into account.

Flap stiffness was part of the discussion after a couple accidents where lines wrapped around the top flap of the European Omega rig, but mainly in relation to that particular design. Surprisingly, I didn't see it really discussed in relation to the fatality in Texas on a Javelin.

Some brief experiments:

I played around at home with some rigs and a spare piece of line, trying to catch the flap in both of two ways:
a) a full loop in a line catching around a flap, getting pulled in opposite directions, (fig. 1 of attachment) or
b) a line pulling from one side of the flap only (fig. 2).

For now I won't try to predict what's more likely in actual flight, and how it differs from ground tests. The fig 2 version is more like what was shown when people were experimenting with the Omega rig.

1. A mid 90's Racer. It has no plastic stiffener in the side flaps, unlike most rigs, only a webbing reinforcement near the grommet. This made it very hard for a loop of line pulled tight to catch the flap without sliding or twisting itself off. The Racer design is very good in that particular way.

2. An old Vector 2. Here it was relatively easy to catch a flap, because the side flaps are very thin and deformable, allowing the line to tighten on the flap, but with a heavy plastic reinforcement near the grommet, preventing the line from sliding off. (The side flaps are 2 layers of cordura, with no foam layer, on this particular rig -- Vector design did change over the years.) It's this sort of design that I worry about the most.

3. A Mirage G3. Here the tendency to catch a flap was fairly low. The side flap design tapered sharply (see fig. 3) which made the line tend to slide off without digging in and catching. There was still a less tapered part before getting to the hard plastic grommet reinforcement, but the line didn't easily catch there because that part had a light weight, flexible plastic stiffener in it. (The rig being fairly narrow might make it easier to taper the side flaps sharply.)

It all makes one wonder about how flexible flaps should be. They still need to bend, and avoid things like having cracking plastic stiffeners in them. But it may be good to have some stiffness other than just near the grommet. Additional binding tape, webbing, or sewing (which can greatly stiffen multiple layers of fabric) might be useful, especially along the top and bottom edges of side flaps.

the important point, no matter how you stow, is to leave as little unstowed line as possible.

Bill -- I'm seeking clarification, since that statement conflicts with the manual for my canopy (Pilot). The manual states to leave 24-28 inches unstowed to prevent line twists.

Does your statement reflect a belief that the risk of a snagged line takes priority over the risk of line twists (makes sense) or that you disagree that more unstowed line reduces the risk of line twists?

Thanks for your time.

Doug

How are you ever going to be cool if you continue listen to people like Bill Booth and ask the manufacture before doing something?:PB|

Bill is only a senior rigger. Are you sure his advice is solid? ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

the important point, no matter how you stow, is to leave as little unstowed line as possible.

Bill -- I'm seeking clarification, since that statement conflicts with the manual for my canopy (Pilot). The manual states to leave 24-28 inches unstowed to prevent line twists.

Does your statement reflect a belief that the risk of a snagged line takes priority over the risk of line twists (makes sense) or that you disagree that more unstowed line reduces the risk of line twists?

Thanks for your time.

Doug

Yes, and yes. As I said above, I remain unconvinced that leaving a lot of line unstowed makes line twists less likely. However, I do know that leaving a lot of line unstowed allows line/flap entanglements. However, I have not jumped every canopy, out of every rig. If you get line twists all the time by "short stowing" your lines, I'd try leaving a little more unstowed until the line twists went away. "As short as possible" is the key phrase.

How are you ever going to be cool if you continue listen to people like Bill Booth and ask the manufacture before doing something?:PB|

But the rumor is that when he grows up he wants to be a Master rigger. :)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

But the rumor is that when he grows up he wants to be a Master rigger. :)
Truth is...I hate packing. Jumping is a lot more fun.