wayne8577

Mains for the 12 sandwitch eating guys..

I'm 6'4 and 235# and 56 years young. What I would like is something with good performance and soft openings in the 250-260 sf range. Looking for input! Ok, you can joke about me also! I can take it as long as I can use the jokes. Bigbug
Here's to Old Farts in the Wind!

Two of my favorite canopies for the moderate performance is the Sabre2, which I believe flies better then the other canopies of similar performance. They make a 260. You can get a Sabre2 with a lighter wingloading and have a zippy but easy to fly canopy. You can load it a bit and it'll swoop really well for its class.

A Silhoette (sp?) is also a really neat canopy. Its definately different from the Sabre2 and its a hybrid, but it opens and flies really well. It swoops well too, IF you push it. Otherwise its just a good opening fairly docile canopy that is still fun to fly.

Demo those canopies for something to try. Also you'll want to try a Pilot and probably a Safire 2, both aren't bad canopies, I just personally think the Sabre2 is a better canopy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm the same size as you, just 8 years younger...

I jump a Z-po 190 & a Z-po 210 from Strong Ent.
Both give me reasonable performance and good openings.

If you're leaning toward a larger canopy, give a Triathlon a try...they made a 260 as well.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Wayne,

I think AggieDave and I got you beat on weight and I think I got ya beat on both. There are many canopies to choose from and rather than selecting from the symphony of personal preferences, I'm fairly confident a couple of the dealers on here will be in touch momentarily to help. They will be happy to help you with getting demo's and providing good guidance. Then, you can make a choice based on experience rather than reviews. Sit tight ya old fart :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm the same weight and age just two inches shorter than you. Aerodyne made a Solo 270 for me that was modified to be a large Pilot. Pilot only goes up to 230.
Opens very smoothly and softly ever time. Flies very sportily and has a powerful flare.
Really enjoy jumping it.

Thats it in my profile. WL 1:1

Thanks,
Thats good advice. I'm going to the Dublin boogie next week and will talk to the manufacures there and will demo some. But I want as much info from the front lines as I can!
Wayne
Ps, This ol' FART just hangs in the air!
Here's to Old Farts in the Wind!

And don't forget the Navigator. You can adjust the brake settings to your liking. In other words, you don't have to detune them like we do for students.

I'm inclined to recommend an F111/ZP combo for you with dacron lines. Easy packing. Softer openings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!