AnKaLi

Who is good with words?

So I'm wrapping up my honors thesis, and I'm stuck on one edit point....someone give me a better way to say "higher places" in the following sentence...PLEASE.

The national leaders kept the country in a top-down type of government; they believed the villagers could not lead themselves and China to higher places.

I'm burned out, my brain can't figure it out anymore.

THANK YOU

whole paragraph:

Although these communes were more democratic in a sense given that they could elect team heads, the leaders in Beijing were unwilling to give any leeway in figuring out the details of the commune, like what type of crops were to be grown. The orders that came from above often ignored the local conditions. This was done in order to ensure the predictability of foodstuffs for the urban community; however it did not always function well for the peasants. Often their conditions worsened in order to produce what the government wanted for the urban areas. The national leaders kept the country in a top-down type of government; they believed the villagers could not lead themselves and China to higher places. (WC) In the long run, the government in Beijing led the peasants into more dire situations concerning their well being.

Thesis:

The institutions of the 1950s and the reforms of the 1970s and how they led rural China into the poverty situation they face today.

Oh okay, then I basically know nothing about that specific topic...

But I will add that prices and wages always seem to be very low in most Communist countries.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Reading that, I'd leave the sentence as

"The national leaders kept the country in a top-down type of government; they believed the villagers could not lead themselves. However, in the long run, the government in Beijing led the peasants into more dire situations concerning their well being."

Thesis:

The institutions of the 1950s and the reforms of the 1970s and how they led rural China into the poverty situation they face today.

Oh okay, then I basically know nothing about that specific topic...

But I will add that prices and wages always seem to be very low in most Communist countries.

yeah that has a lot to do with it, its a nice long 30 page paper detailing it. I now know a massive amount about it, thanks school!

Its an interesting situation in China though, they pushed their industrialization funding onto the rural areas instead of the more common urban areas, so instead of urban slums (like in Brazil) china has a rural poverty problem. China only has something like .5% poverty in their urban areas.

The national leaders kept the country in a top-down type of government; they believed the villagers could not lead themselves and China to higher places.

I think I would say something like "they believed that the villagers were not capable of elevating themselves or China as a whole."

And just for discussion sake, when you say .5% poverty in urban areas, by what standard? Is that a local standard, or global, etc? Seems like there's an awful lot of poverty visible even in the cities (or what many by OUR standards would consider poverty).

I think I would say something like "they believed that the villagers were not capable of elevating themselves or China as a whole."

And just for discussion sake, when you say .5% poverty in urban areas, by what standard? Is that a local standard, or global, etc? Seems like there's an awful lot of poverty visible even in the cities (or what many by OUR standards would consider poverty).

It's a citation I recieved from the World Bank...the official Chinese poverty line is $0.66 per person today, or the World Bank’s stricter $1 per day.