Slowfaller

Chantix.

Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about this stop-smoking pill? I have a Dr. appt tomorrow to discuss and possibly be prescribed this as the patch just failed for me [edit: i failed myself]. I was only smoke free for about 40 hours.

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

I'd do an extensive research on it, if I were you. It has been noted that some users displayed erratic behavior, nightmares, hallucinations and suicidal ideation amongst other things. (a few people actually done themselves in, while on Chantix)[:/]

Edited to add: A dallas musician Carter Albrecht attacked his fiancee while on Chantix (he was never violent) he then ran to the neighbors door screaming incomprehensibly. The neighbor was so alarmed that he wound up fataly shooting him.:(

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Edited to add: A dallas musician Carter Albrecht attacked his fiancee while on Chantix (he was never violent) he then ran to the neighbors door screaming incomprehensibly. The neighbor was so alarmed that he wound up fataly shooting him.:(

While tragic I couldn't help but ask myself how much this guy had to drink when this ocurred. His BAC was .29 according to wiki. Alcohol and meds don't mix well.

Well I dunno about wanting to turn your wrists into hamburger meat while taking Chantix, but I do know 3 people who have taken it. My Grandmother (she will never quit) a co-worker (now he smokes secretivly unless he gets a couple of beers in him) and a girlfriend (smoking is WAY cooler to her than not)

Yup, all three still smoke. Here is my advice. Take the $150 bucks that you are going to spend on the pills and buy some cigs or jump tickets with them. hell they are almost the same price now. I smoked for a very long time, one day I just looked at myself in the mirror and decided to quit. (ya alot easier said than done) But I realized that one of the main reasons I smoked was because I had a beer in my hand. So i quit drinking too... (only after they put me in the straight jacket)

Long story short I can now actually enjoy a beer instead of slamming it, cigs actually taste bad when I try to smoke, and i get to have an elitest attitude to all those gross smokers out there...

Quit when you want to quit... then you will not need semi-tested on lab rats that smoke "wonder anti-smoking drugs" The pharma industry has zillions of dollars anyways, dont give them yours.
"Its such a beautiful day outside, we should thank the leader."

"The leader? Who the hell is that? Some sort of leader?" -Homer Simpson.

While tragic I couldn't help but ask myself how much this guy had to drink when this ocurred. His BAC was .29 according to wiki. Alcohol and meds don't mix well.

While it's true that his hallucinations were more pronounced when he was drinking but the source of his hallucinations was the medication. Anyways, read this article, you may find it informative:

http://nymag.com/news/features/43892/

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

The only two people I know of that have taken Chantix have successfully quit. One is a good friend of mine and the other is someone my wife works with. Sounded too good to be true.

I quit for two years using the patch and it was a very spontaneous decision. I was driving home from work one evening and lit up. After maybe 4 drags I put it out and decided to quit right then and there. Not sure why but it tasted terrible. I'm sorta worried that will not happen again, or anytime soon, and based on what the two people that used Chantix to quit I figure I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for the feedback.

My father used it with little or no side effects...other then smoking tasted like crap to him :D

I will add that he had solid motivation to do it this time, I think the chantix just helped get through some of the withdrawal mentally.

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Day 11 for me, and I have absolutely no desire to smoke. This is my second round with Chantix - gave up early the first time.

If I don't eat before I take it, I get a bit nauseated for a while, but other than that I am sleeping fine and my friends don't seem to think I'm acting weird.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

My husband, skydivingchad on here, quit with it. He was nauseous if he didn't take it with food and he had very vivid dreams at night. He actually only took it once a day instead of twice, and that was enough for him to quit. It's been almost a year now since he quit smoking on Chantix. PM him if you want more information.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My hubby quit with chantix and has been smoke free for coming up on a year now. It affects people differently. some folks do get the nightmares and some of the unpleasant things that can come with it. My hubby did great. But his mom suffered. Try it, if it gives you ill-effects stop taking it. I personally used Wellbutrin. It worked very well for me. Been smoke free since Sept 2003. (((((hugs))))) to you. If you keep in your mind that you dont want to taste like an ashtray when someone kisses you, it might help. (no offense to you all who do smoke, it is what I did to psyc myself each time I wanted a cigarette) I know how difficult it is to quit successfully. It was very hard at first then it got easier as time went on. -YOU CAN DO IT!-Caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

If you keep in your mind that you dont want to taste like an ashtray when someone kisses you, it might help.

Not to mention smelling like one! I'm getting more of my sense of smell back as the days tick by, and my still-smoking co-workers smell terrible when they come back from a break. BLERG B|
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

All the people I knew that used Chantix got sick. I would only try it as a last resort. Plus it is expensive. $120 @ month I've been told. No generic yet.

I was able to quit within 2 weeks using Bupropion SR (generic Zyban) with zero side effects. Plus it only cost me $50 @ month.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

All the people I knew that used Chantix got sick. I would only try it as a last resort. Plus it is expensive. $120 @ month I've been told. No generic yet.

I was able to quit within 2 weeks using Bupropion SR (generic Zyban) with zero side effects. Plus it only cost me $50 @ month.

And how much do you think cigarettes cost a month??

Zyban works for some, I have seen more consistent results with Chantix.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Coming up on 4 months. I took it for one month. I smoked a pack a day or more for more years then I cna count. I did use the Step 3 patches as well when I was really craving. Not sure the Chantix alone would have done it but only using 12-14 patches during the 30 days I was taking the chantix still has cost less then what I wes spending on smokes. I had no vivid dreams. smokes didn't taste any different but if you don't want to quit nothing is going to help. You have to WANT TO or don't even waste your money.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

That probably depends on where you live. The costs of smoking has never been a factor for me.

In the month or so before I started taking Zyban, I was only smoking about 2 packs a week. So about $24@month. I was actively trying to quit.

Before that, 2-3 packs a day on average. So $210-270@month.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Zyban works for some, I have seen more consistent results with Chantix.

Doc

I have been taking Chantix now for 3 weeks and so far so good. It does make me nauseus if I don't eat but so do most any medications that I have ever taken. My urge to want to smoke comes more from "muscle memory" than anything. I just put on my ipod and find songs to sing to til the moment passes. I have always had very bizarre vivid dream, especially if I sleep on my back so nothing has changed there.

I've seen 2 people try Zyban - neither were able to quit. Both almost lost their jobs from turning into complete space cadets while taking it. Once they stopped taking it they were "normal" again.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Didn't quit, but I cut down a lot. I'm going back to the doc soon to try another round.

Nausea whether I ate or not.
Occasional vivid dreaming.
No other side effects.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

First of all BEST OF LUCK! I am right there with you... I have been taking the Chantix for a month now and the cravings are just not there anymore. As the others have said I heard about the dreams (which a friend of mine had) and all that but I personally have had no ill side effects. Most of the time I don't even eat when I take it... who knows, it affects different people in different ways. I have tried using Wellbutrin....ummmm not a good thing for me....:( But this time I think it is gonna work using the Chantix.

Just so you all know there is a program that the Manufacturer has out there! (if you don't have medical insurance to help pay for the rx) Pfizer may help!:)

It is hard to quit smoking. Every one of them looks real good to me right about now. Every cigarette looks like it was made by God, rolled by Jesus and moistened shut with Angelina Jolie's pussy.

Now I really want to quit.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb