TrophyHusband

hot weather outdoor/adventure clothing

lately i've been fishing in tournaments and it has been blazing hot, so i bought a couple of long sleeve fishing shirts. one columbia sportwear one is excellent, its so light that it makes my cotton one feel like a heavy wool sweater. i was wondering what else is out there? how abaout pants? last weekend my calves started to burn with just a little exposure to the sun at 101 degrees. are there some good long pants for hot weather? what about a good hat to keep sun off my face as well? i know i could google this stuff, but i would rather hear from peoples' personal experience. something that has caught my eye is the clothes that bear grylls wears on his tv show. he sells them on his website and if the prices are in british pounds and my conversion is correct, the are very inexpensive, does anyone have experience with them?

http://www.craghoppers.com/CraghoppersSite/pages/home/default.asp?Rootctgry=BearGrylls&cookie%5Ftest=1

i'm also trying to get to washington again this summer to hike around mt st helens. the route is mostly around 4000 feet and shadeless, so i want stuff tough enough for hiking.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I use military surplus pants, ripstop, with cargo pockets - tough stuff against brambles, and pretty darned cheap. Cotton shirts to absorb sweat and hold it, letting it evaporate, giving a cooling effect. Wide brim hat, like a military boonie hat. And since you're fishing, you have water available. Dip the hat in the water scooping some up inside it like a bucket, then quickly tip it up onto your head, and let the cooling water run down your face and neck, and onto the shirt. Repeat as necessary. And high spf sun block.

For the summer hiking I do I have a MEC Ranger Hat that I love (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698795&bmUID=1214271219162)

For Hot weather pants I have a few pairs of these and love them. As they re breathable and they don't weigh that much either.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442620844&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698621&bmUID=1214271357353

From what I can find out, MEC does ship to the US. Hope this helps.

Hi Trophy - tight lines!

I work for LL Bean, and am also a Master Instructor for the state Dept of Fisheries and Wildlife in my state. I fished in Bass tourneys back in the early 70s, and teach and fish out in the sun a lot these days.

LL Bean has a line of clothing that repels water (H2Off) is impregnated with insect repellent (Buzz-off), is light, and also has SPF rating to shed the UV rays. About $34 per shirt. Cabelas, and Orvis also make good, lightweight, SPF and bug resistant clothing. Most of these clothes are designed for Fly Fishermen in the Tropics (LLB has "Tropicwear").

Cabelas also carries "Sun Gloves" to protect your hands, and "Buffs" to protect your lower face - where you get fired from the Sun's reflection off the water.

Old Scandanavian fishing saying: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."

Hope this helps -

Good Hooksets, Tight Lines
Blue Skys, Safe Landings

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

i love these pants. i use for jumping, driving in hot weather, great wind and sun protection, keeps me cooler than shorts. forget the underwear and just wear these...much cooler. i am a pool guy, so i spend ALOT of time in the sun and wind. these pants dry instantly. hope this helps.

://www.gramicci.com/Authentic_Original_Quick_Dry_G_Pant/pd/np/105/p/87063032.html

Under Armour has a line of fishing clothing that might be worth checking out. I don't fish so I can't comment particularly on these products, but I am always very pleased with their products despite the lofty price tag. When it comes to outdoor clothing, I feel you get what you pay for.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens/sports/fishing

Well you seem to already have found something that works for you, the Columbia shirt. They have a whole line of fishing clothing as well as outdoor clothing for the summer. Most if not all have UPF ratings and some are synthetic, others cotton.

I used to sell such clothing and had many many people swear by the pants and shirts. They also make a hat or two that has the brim all the way around that is super lightweight and vented.

You can find that stuff probably at REI, Dick's, or Bass Pro shops.
Each of these probably has their own knock off brand that could save you some dollars but probably not made as well.
Skymama's #2 stalker -