RustyOats

Exiting from clouds

The dude's in the US and I was answering his question. But thanks for that.Wink

I know you knew that, but thought it would interest others to know the rules eleswhere.;)

:DI reckon the USA rules were written in arizona or something:S:S/:D.

Seriously though, there is so much more air traffic in the states and therefore more idiots flying around un-announced around operating DZ's, i can see the reason for the US rules!

I didn't add that a cloud manual is only approved to dropzones in controlled airspace, the extra holds you go through are far outweighed by the extra operable days!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The dude's in the US and I was answering his question. But thanks for that.Wink

I know you knew that, but thought it would interest others to know the rules eleswhere.;)

Great, next time someone has a question about skydiving in the US, I'll be sure to ask you about the global ramifacations of it before answering.:ph34r::ph34r::o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Which reminds me...if gliders and skydivers are in the air together, they should have some rules in place about sharing air space....i.e., you guys fly over there, we'll fly over here...and never the twain shall meet.

Certainly true but NOT something I would bet my life on. I’ve seen hangliders and paragliders circling above the dz runway, seemingly unaware of the skydiving operations in progress. Then again, I’ve seen a Bonanza land --after two attempts -- on the dz runway while skydivers were landing. (The pilot thought he was landing at a nearby airport – all the pretty canopies in the air didn’t seem to register.) My point being, you really can’t depend on the “it’s a big sky” theory to keep you safe jumping though clouds. And the white puffy clouds can be especially dangerous to jump through, as there can be aircraft circling below them for long periods of time.
www.wci.nyc

At my DZ students are last out, (if no tandems are on board). That does two things, Sets the traffic pattern up for the less experienced to set up in under canopy and "no pressure" from people not being in a position to see the spot.
Good Job on standing your ground. I would hope your coach would have backed you up on the ground and your DZO would have made a point out of the good decision made by a student jumper when the beer light came on...
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied

Which reminds me...if gliders and skydivers are in the air together, they should have some rules in place about sharing air space....i.e., you guys fly over there, we'll fly over here...and never the twain shall meet.

Certainly true but NOT something I would bet my life on.

Yep, rules are made to be broken...by the idiots.
That's how we identify them....the idiots, that is.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Weston-on-the-Green springs to mind too.

Yes, Weston has plenty of gliding going on (and the occasional C-130 that comes in and drops squaddies from a few hundred feet up!)

Generally speaking, busy airfields are well controlled and well practised in keeping the skydivers (or 'meat missiles') away from the aircraft, and vice versa. It's often traffic from elsewhere that presents the real danger - if your dropzone has a major road or rail line running nearby, there's a good chance some light aircraft pilots will be using it as a handy navigation route.

I did my first jump in 1998 (tandem) out of a Twin Beech. On jump run the pilot said exit and the TI said no (clouds) then a screaming match began between another Ti the pilot and the TI refusing to exit. The load was all tandem and I was last to exit. My friends and I were looking at each other freaking out not knowing what was going on. Everyone ended up exiting but there was no 2nd pass so I(we) landed waaaay out. There were no clouds when I exited and the skydive was great. I never really understood what happened that day until I came back to the sport and learned everything. To this day I can remember how much it freaked me out. I had no idea what was going on and I was already nervous bc it was my first jump. I still remember that and bc of this and the why's of not exiting in or just above clouds..... I don't do it. My DZ is pretty strict about all of this but I was put into a situation at another DZ and just refused to jump. The pilot made a 2nd pass and I made my exit.

So.... that's my story :P

Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com