wildjump

Machine/Thread problems

I been sewing with a singer model 331 locking stitch. Basically it is a newer class 31-15 with reverse. I am using a #18 needle and E-thread. Two problems. 1.)Every time I use red E-thread, the head thread frays, the bobbin thread is fine, when I switch to black or white thread, there is no fraying. I have gone through the head, bobbin, hook, etc., looking for burrs, there are none. I have also checked timing and it's perfect. Any ideas? 2.) When sewing forward no problem, then when I sew in reverse (no adjustments), the bobbin thread is pulled up appearing as if the head tension is too high or bobbin tension too low. What gives?

First Check the twist of the red thread... it should be "Z" TwistPull out your PPM and follow the instructions for checking the twist.

Second, is the thread bonded or not??
Bonded thread works better!

Third, how did you check the timing?

The later models do not have the shuttle driver pinned in place.
That means you have to set the needle stroke first, then set the hook to the needle second.
With the needle at it's lowest point, rotate the handwheel until the needle bar rises about .100 - .125 ". The point of the hook should be at the back/center of the needle and about 1/16" above the eye of the needle.

With the earlier pinned versions, all you have to set is the needle bar position in relation to the hook(Easy).

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Yes i checked the twist. I had the same thought. It is a LH twist and it's bonded. It's class HB-69. I actually timed it according to the manual about a month ago. It's the same as you described. It was a problem before I set the timing. This tine I just checked the hook and needle position by eye as well as the feed dog. I don't think it's a timing issue. I'm leaning towards a thread issue. What about problem 2

I been sewing with a singer model 331 locking stitch. Basically it is a newer class 31-15 with reverse. I am using a #18 needle and E-thread. Two problems. 1.)Every time I use red E-thread, the head thread frays, the bobbin thread is fine, when I switch to black or white thread, there is no fraying. I have gone through the head, bobbin, hook, etc., looking for burrs, there are none. I have also checked timing and it's perfect. Any ideas? 2.) When sewing forward no problem, then when I sew in reverse (no adjustments), the bobbin thread is pulled up appearing as if the head tension is too high or bobbin tension too low. What gives?

Just read all the replys, and there all good. If none of them work then guess what? You got a crappy spool of thread!!!!!!! Sometimes it just happens, sometimes it's a whole batch, try a different supplier to ensure a different batch. Life is just plain unfair like that sometimes.

Mick.

Yes i checked the twist. I had the same thought. It is a LH twist and it's bonded. It's class HB-69. I actually timed it according to the manual about a month ago. It's the same as you described. It was a problem before I set the timing. This tine I just checked the hook and needle position by eye as well as the feed dog. I don't think it's a timing issue. I'm leaning towards a thread issue. What about problem 2

I noticed, you mentioned that you are having trouble with the HB-69 Red, thread. I have had the same problem with that brand thread in Red and Gold. I switched brands of thread! It drove me nuts at first. One question... is the thread kinda 'fuzzy' looking on the spool? Do you get a lot of lint on your needle and around it? I think, it's the brand thread.

Chuck

No, it is not fuzzy on the spool, but after more experiments, It's actually beginning to fray at the take up lever. There are no burrs. I bought it from Para-Gear standard stuff.

Same place I got mine! Try contacting Synthetic Thread Co. If, you have trouble contacting them, let me know. I'll get you a contact number. They handle a very high quality thread. Theirs, is the only kind I'll use.

Chuck

Problem #2 -
The feed dog is moving at the same time that the take-up arm is pulling the stitch together. The extra movement makes the top stitch tighter.

There is an eccentric adjustment for that.

A service manual for that machine may be needed.

What class/sub-class is it??

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com