Dougiefresh

major parachute malfunction

I've actually watched them pack that thing up in preparation for testing awhile back(that was not the first test on it). The parachutes are vacuum packed into the individual compartments in a mylar looking material to protect them from the effects of space,etc. All of it, to include the parachutes weigh an ass load, which as all engineers know, is a lot more than a butt load:P

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've actually watched them pack that thing up

Damn that's cool. Do you need some high-level clearance for that, or can you just tour the NASA cleanrooms and see what they're up to? We're paying for it... it seems only fair that we know where our money is going.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

or can you just tour the NASA cleanrooms and see what they're up to?

HAHA, I have yet to see a clean room in Yuma where they prep that thing.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

WHAT?

I heard Chuck Norris has clearance for the clean room ;)

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Hell, If my memory serves me correctly they had this process down pat back in say, the late 60's and early 70's.

Seems odd to me it will take 15+- years to get to the moon this time when it only took 9+ years 40 years ago. I guess divvying out all that government money takes much longer these days.

Sad state of present day reality.
Party like it's $19.99

Hell, If my memory serves me correctly they had this process down pat back in say, the late 60's and early 70's.

Lets just say that things have changed since then and are a bit more involved then back then. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Besides, thats why it's called TESTING;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yeah, ok, I assumed. My sister in law worked with NASA satellites a few years ago and it was all cleanroom work. Of course, those are actually going into space, instead of becoming desert pancake.

So seriously -- do they just rig the thing in some hanger? I imagine it's on some military base at least.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

So seriously -- do they just rig the thing in some hanger? I imagine it's on some military base at least.

They have a guy in Western TX pack them. He was a rigger in 'Nam, and he repacks those babies every week!:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Seems odd to me it will take 15+- years to get to the moon this time when it only took 9+ years 40 years ago. I guess divvying out all that government money takes much longer these days.

When President Kennedy made that pledge... he made sure there was actually funding for the people and material...it was not a feel good pie in the sky sound bite.

It is amazing what this country can do when things become a national priority.

Times...indeed.... have changed.

Bullshit,

The only thing that's changed is corporate profit and the political climate.

No, really. I've watched them work on it during various stages of the assembly and the people putting it together are some of the most experienced people in the field that I've met. There are some real challenges to making all of that stuff work together smoothly. They are literally putting 10 lbs into a 5 lbs bag.

BTW, I'm not talking politics or any of that other bullshit. If you want to talk about that stuff , take it to SC.:|
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The chutes are vacuum sealed elsewhere but the capsule and the sealed parachutes with all the other pieces they put on it are indeed assembled inside a hanger along with other pieces of heavy drop equipment scheduled for testing on Yuma proving grounds.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi Doug,
Major Divot I'm sure!! I usedta' work for ScurvyIrvin a few years ago and we had one program (Kisler) that had (6) ea., 156ft. dia recovery canopys for a 42,000 lb rocket booster!! Got as far as the 6-pack drop at yuma "IT WORKED!! GOT PHOTO'S & VIDEO!!" We had some similar problems leading up to the "Big Drop!!" Programer chute and the sled wanting to tip over and cut the main bridle. They'll figure it out. 116ft dia should be easy to pak!! The 156 ft dia's were actually quite easy, just heavy- 1 D-bag packed was just over 300 lb. After the big drop, Kisler ran out of $$ and the program flushed.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out