skymama

Would you buy meat from a random guy?

This guy knocked on my door over the weekend and told me he had some steak leftover from a woman who ordered some down the street and wanted to know if I wanted to buy the rest at a special price. I'm sure there's no "woman down the street" and I don't know where that meat has been, so I sent him on his way. But- EW! Do people really buy it? Have you?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

This guy knocked on my door over the weekend and told me he had some steak leftover from a woman who ordered some down the street and wanted to know if I wanted to buy the rest at a special price. I'm sure there's no "woman down the street" and I don't know where that meat has been, so I sent him on his way. But- EW! Do people really buy it? Have you?

The beauty of omaha steaks . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hell no. I buy my meat from the local grocery store if it's cut and prepared there by their butcher.

I did try Omaha Steaks, which you can mail-order, and they were fine.

I won't even buy meat from Wal-Mart. They ship the prepared meat from a central processing plant and are not always fresh. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hell no. I buy my meat from the local grocery store if it's cut and prepared there by their butcher.

I won't even buy meat from Wal-Mart. They ship the prepared meat from a central processing plant and are not always fresh. B|

Agreed.. I got a steak from wal-mart once that was green on the bottom. I've had the same guys try to sell me steak also with the same excuse about someone down the street and discount prices blah blah.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Let me tell you, after servicing three huge chains of supermarket refrigeration systems and seeing how meat is thawed, which is suppose to be discarded, then refrozen with coloring or redated.I eat as little meat as possible from stores. get it on delivery day and ask specifically for that. So you have no idea what your getting anywhere. I now buy calves and raise them myself and then send them to butcher.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

I won't even buy meat from Wal-Mart.

I thought everyone in Alabama bought everything from Wal marts:D:D

Just the uneducated ones. ;)

I buy dry goods and name-brand items (not Walmart brand) from Walmart depending on prices. There's a certain cereal brand that I like which sells for $4.50 at Food World, but I can get for $2.75 at Walmart.

I usually go to Food World or Winn Dixie so I can use their $5 or $10 coupons for buying a certain amount of groceries or using my discount cards for them. I'll go to Walmart if I just need a few items since it's closer, or if I also need to go to Home Depot, which is right behind Walmart.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Agreed.. I got a steak from wal-mart once that was green on the bottom. I've had the same guys try to sell me steak also with the same excuse about someone down the street and discount prices blah blah.

The green ones were for Skymama, it wasn't that they were bad, it was all green glitter.B|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Classic!

...because I had a downstairs neighbor who tried this very thing. He had a job at a meat packing plant, and decided he'd make money selling the stuff out of his pickup. He went out and bought a normal, household chest-type freezer that he kept in the bed of his pickup. He'd plug it in with an extension cord whenever it was home, then just unplug it and roll whenever he was "selling".

We bought a couple (and I mean just a couple) things from him. They were all vacuum sealed and looked pretty good, not like they'd been thawed or anything. But once we'd done our "neighborly duty" we steered clear of it. It didn't last long: he lost his job at the plant. I'd originally thought he was getting the stuff wholesale, but it's entirely possible (in hindsight) that he was just stealing everything from his workplace.

Elvisio "he was a winner" Rodriguez

I'd originally thought he was getting the stuff wholesale, but it's entirely possible (in hindsight) that he was just stealing everything from his workplace.

Elvisio "he was a winner" Rodriguez

Grand Theft Sirloin
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I sent him. I wanted to see if you were into random meat

See, it didn't work. You'll have to get me to try your meat some other way. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Actually...we did. But only because we could physically SEE the truck with the logos all over it parked across the way.

The case was sealed and pre-packaged. And it was actually a good deal. The nice thing is each steak is individually wrapped, so we can use what we need when we need it.

So yeah, if it's from a reputable company. Not if it's some dude with a cooler in his pickup :P
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

when i lived in mississippi, door to door meat salesmen came by all the time. it's only happened once here in idaho. i don't buy anything from door to door salesmen, but i can't see why anyone would buy food from some random guys knocking on the door.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I trust no one... especially people knocking on my door trying to sell shit....:S

Same here. I'd probably greet him with a Glock..:S:P

I was waiting for that. If you are knocking on my door and I don't know you, you don't need to be knocking on my door!!!! Your best interest is to keep walking. Specially these days.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

lol, yeah, i usually don't answer at all...the only reason the guy even bothered is because my husband happened to be home and outside in the garage.

point is moot now, since we live in the boonies now and no one comes to the door.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Beef, not so much. But I have frequently purchased shrimp and beef tamales from guys that go door to door. I live right near the coast and I know the shrimp are local, though I don't know anything about how they are handled prior to reaching me. Mainly I just know they are delicious.

Took me a little while to come around to buying stuff from "Tamale Man" but after my co-worker pointed out that going straight from his kitchen to his cooler is probably a much cleaner process than any of the local Tex-Mex joints around here, which are all routinely cited by my health examiner friend.

Since I moved to Texas and started hunting for the first time I haven't been buying much meat from stores. A friend raises chickens and if I'm eating meat at home it's usually pork or venison that I brought home myself. Mmmmm....
Killing threads since 2004.