NewGuy2005

PD 230 Question

About 2 months ago I bought a PD 230 manufactured in Feb '96 with 70 jumps on it. I had a rigger look at it before I bought it, but I have not seen it until tonight when my curiosity got the best of me. I was going to wait until I took it in for inspection and repack. That would have been a while since my instructor wants me to wait several more jumps before I transistion to BOC. I'm glad I opened it because is looks awesome. A great color combination and it looks brand spanking new.

Anyway, here'a a couple of questions:

1) I used to jumping a Manta 288. What kind of change in flight characterisics can I expect? I cleared the purchase with my instructor, so I know it will be docile, but am wondering if I'll notice much difference from the Manta.

2) Is this canopy Z-P or F-111?

Thanks,
Ken

It is not ZP.

What is your weight?

I jump a PD210 loaded at about 1.15:1. It still flies so well that I can't justify getting rid of it yet. I think that they are perhaps the best flying non-ZP canopies out there. It will be much sportier than a Manta. Expect to actually have a chance to get it to plane out on landing, depending on your weight.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I did most of my student jumps on very lightly loaded PD230s, then bought a PD150. I've also done a couple jumps on a manta 288. At the wingloadings I had, the 3 canopies were all totally different. The manta scared me... I had so little control over it. Turned WAY too slow, barely flared...not that it mattered.

The PD230 was MUCH sportier. It would actually dive when it turned. Still slow, but not bad.

I was nervous buying a PD150 since I thought it might be too similar to the student canopies. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a LOT faster and didn't feel anything like the PD230s. Still very docile and all that, but lots of fun.

Opens a bit firmer than a more modern canopy and it doesn't flare nearly as well, but it's a great canopy. I have no regrets about buying it. Still have mine, just haven't seen it in a couple years now.

Dave

I jump a PD260 loaded about the same as you will be on your 230. I also used to jump a Manta. The 230 will be no sports car but much better than the Manta. Landings are sweet and it flies well enough to have some fun with at altitude. I don't plan on ever doing any swooping. I bought my canopy with no jumps on it yet it was built in 1996 and figure I'll jump it for a long time. PD's charts shows this series of canopies as having a max weight equal to their sizes.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

I put about 250 jumps on my PD 230 back when I weighed about the same as you and had just gotten licensed. Sounds like a reasonable match for your weight & skills for an all F111 canopy.

When you finally get tired of watching how much nicer your buddies' landings are with ZP canopies and try one, you'll be amazed at the flares you can get with ZP compared to your PD230.

Lance

When you finally get tired of watching how much nicer your buddies' landings are with ZP canopies and try one, you'll be amazed at the flares you can get with ZP compared to your PD230.

You know, I've heard and read this kind of statement before, and I think it's a bit misleading. Properly loaded (no more than 1:1), lower jump number (they wear out sooner, and degrade gradually over their life span) F-111 canopies land just fine.

The problem comes in finding an all F-111 canopy in the earlier part of their expected life span, then loading it 'properly'. Sounds like the original poster has done just that, and can reasonably expect to enjoy his canopy for many jumps to come.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Yeah, that's why F111 is all the rage nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my PD230 a lot at the time and I learned a lot jumping it. Hell, it even landed fine overloaded if flared properly. On the other hand, I don't regret selling it a bit.

I watch our students now on Sabre 230's and wonder why it took me so long to switch to ZP. But then again, a round lands just fine.:D

Lance

Yeah, that's why F111 is all the rage nowadays.

And don't get me wrong, I do understand that ZP is superior in almost every aspect (there is that darn pesky packing thing), and that canopy design has come a long way since the PD 9 Cell was designed.

I'm just saying that a properly loaded PD 9 Cell canopy is still a decent choice for a new or budget restricted jumper. The problem is finding one that's not at the end of it's life span, because nobody in their right mind would buy a new F-111 canopy... so most of them on the used market are older, and pretty well spent.

BTW, F-111's still used by several manufacturers (including PD) in some models of their canopies, it's just used in a more modern design with a ZP top skin typically, to minimize the problem of reduced flare power caused by increased porosity as the canopy ages.

But then again, a round lands just fine.

Well, after jumping the student T-10's, the switch to a Paracommander was like dying and going to heaven!
:P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."