NickDG

Major Train Wreck in California . . . Right Now!

Some new developments this morning.

Metrolink has reported the cause of the accident was their engineer passing a red light.

Also in looking at aerial photos of the area of the crash site there was one lucky break. If the crash would have occurred just 30 seconds later it would have been inside a tunnel. And in that case the results would have probably been more serious. This is now the worst train crash in California history.

They still haven't moved the Metrolink locomotive or cars with the cranes yet, but when they do it's feared more bodies will be found.

NickD :|

No, the freight train's crew of two hasn't been mentioned anywhere I've seen . . .

I'm not one of those train crazies that would stand by the tracks taking photos and recording train numbers but I am a train buff. I love trains, and train travel and enjoyed being next to the big train museum in Perris when I was living in the Ghetto.

And if you have an interest in trains (or even not) you'll love this. I heard this years ago but someone put it on Youtube in two parts and it's really worth a listen. It's the radio com between an engineer on a coal train in a runway situation (no brakes) and his dispatcher.

The engineer's name is Wesley, and I won't give away the ending, but by then you'll be pulling for him . . .

Part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl07BrckR10

Part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGo1PRvFlWA&feature=related

NickD :)

Here's good update on things from today's LA times. I did hear one of their reporters faked being an injured passenger to get closer to the action, and I'm all for a free press, but that stinks . . .

I also jumped the gun on the "worst train wreck" in California history which I heard on TV. That was actually in 1956 and that one killed 30 people. But the current death toll in this one is 25 and may still go higher.

Both Engineers are now confirmed dead. They are saying 5 conductors between both trains survived so I think that means the lone freight train conductor survived as well.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-traincrash14-2008sep14,0,3660884.story?page=3

No, the freight train's crew of two hasn't been mentioned anywhere I've seen . . .

I'm not one of those train crazies that would stand by the tracks taking photos and recording train numbers but I am a train buff. I love trains, and train travel and enjoyed being next to the big train museum in Perris when I was living in the Ghetto.

And if you have an interest in trains (or even not) you'll love this. I heard this years ago but someone put it on Youtube in two parts and it's really worth a listen. It's the radio com between an engineer on a coal train in a runway situation (no brakes) and his dispatcher.

The engineer's name is Wesley, and I won't give away the ending, but by then you'll be pulling for him . . .

Part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl07BrckR10

Part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGo1PRvFlWA&feature=related

Wow! YAY for Wesley. :)
Who was the clueless person? Too many people talking.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

It was a supervisor who came on the line to make sure Wesley didn't move the train, for investigation purposes. once he got her stopped. Which most people would have realized wasn't going to happen. And it was callous of him worrying about some investigation when Wesley's survival was still in doubt.

And it's why it was so funny when Wesley says at the end, "Yeah, I'm all right, all I gotta worry about now is the typewriter." Because he knew he'd probably get written up for what happened.

P.S. for Lisa, a typewriter was a popular 20th century mechanical device once used to create words on pieces of paper. ;)

It was a supervisor who came on the line to make sure Wesley didn't move the train, for investigation purposes. once he got her stopped. Which most people would have realized wasn't going to happen. And it was callous of him worrying about some investigation when Wesley's survival was still in doubt.

And it's why it was so funny when Wesley says at the end, "Yeah, I'm all right, all I gotta worry about now is the typewriter." Because he knew he'd probably get written up for what happened.

P.S. for Lisa, a typewriter was a popular 20th century mechanical device once used to create words on pieces of paper. ;)

I got that. :P:D Smartass.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

And here's the latest revelation . . .

The crash occurred at 4:23 PM and at 4:22 the Engineer, who is now said to have passed a red light, was texting.

He texted a group of rail fans who he regularly kept in contact with . . . and they received a text from him at 4:22.

If this holds up it could be the reason he missed the red light.

This was reported on LA radio news just a few minutes ago.

The crash occurred at 4:23 PM and at 4:22 the Engineer, who is now said to have passed a red light, was texting.

He texted a group of rail fans who he regularly kept in contact with . . . and they received a text from him at 4:22.

I smell lawsuits.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

This makes me think of a high school friend who lost her 16 year old daughter to a solo auto accident, crashed into a telephone pole, from being distracted from text messaging while driving. Her passenger survived the accident and is traumatized for life.
Very sad[:/]

Hmmmm, just after 4:20. I wonder if he was a relation to the captian of the Valdez.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Hmmmm, just after 4:20. I wonder if he was a relation to the captian of the Valdez.

The only difference is the Valdez captain was drunk. The engineer made a critical mistake at the worst possible time. Texting kills. I know people who have had major wrecks texting and driving.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The only difference is the Valdez captain was drunk. The engineer made a critical mistake at the worst possible time. Texting kills. I know people who have had major wrecks texting and driving.
I'm thinking, you're missing the 4:20 reference.

"High on Cocaine, driving that train. Casey Jones you'd better watch your speed." - The Grateful Dead
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"