kirrz

Reserve as Main?

Correct!
Raven Dash M was the first version without bridle attachments or packing tabs.
R-Max does not have them either.
R-Max also has a new airfoil, new line trim and a much improved flare. Even when you load an R-Max in the 1.8 pounds per square foot range, it still flies straight and has a decent flare. The only caveat with R-Maxes is to do a few practice flares. For example, the heavily-loaded R-Max - that I jumped last month - stalled when I pulled the toggles level with my diaphram/bottom rib.

I am upgrading from my 150-M to one of the following (same size). Which would you recommend...

RMAX
SMART
PDR

it will be used and yes cost is a factor...

rm

PDR 143. Hands down. You'll probably only spend a hundred more bucks to get a much stronger and better flying reserve. They are absolutely fantastic. I've landed a PDR 106 at 5200 feet in Colorado a couple times and even at that loading it lands like a dream.

Cheers,
Travis

I've got about 35 jumps on a Raven IV set up as a main, and while I'm grateful that I've got some experience with F-111 7cells in case I ever have to use my reserve, I'm rather happy that I am on something that doesn't kick my ass with every opening :S
cavete terrae.

I've got about 35 jumps on a Raven IV set up as a main, and while I'm grateful that I've got some experience with F-111 7cells in case I ever have to use my reserve, I'm rather happy that I am on something that doesn't kick my ass with every opening

Hmmm... I put a few jumps on Ravens as mains and didn't consider any of the openings to be slammers. But then again I rolled the nose damn near to the B lines...

I've got about 35 jumps on a Raven IV set up as a main, and while I'm grateful that I've got some experience with F-111 7cells in case I ever have to use my reserve, I'm rather happy that I am on something that doesn't kick my ass with every opening

Hmmm... I put a few jumps on Ravens as mains and didn't consider any of the openings to be slammers. But then again I rolled the nose damn near to the B lines...

To be fair, I think it was a combination of a clapped out canopy (I used the same rental rig every jump), and the fact that the harness didn't fit me worth a rat's ass. So what would happen is that the opening would be fairly brisk (I only got properly slammed a couple times, but I'm not gonna forget 'em!), and then the ill-fitting rig would bruise the hell out of my legs :S
cavete terrae.

Also ChuteShop used to have a 9cell reserve (and main), the Predator. We have one lying around in a rig but I wouldn't want to sell it to anyone as a reserve. Or am I being a wuss? Anyone know more about 9cell reserves?

I put a couple of jumps on a rental rig with a predator as a main a while ago. It looked very square vs the pilot i usually jump, but opened nicely, flew nicely and landed easily. Of course, I don't have very many jumps and none on a 7-cell to compare it with.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I jumped a PDR143 as a main for about 15 jumps, just to try it out, incase I ever needed to use it in anger. (I have one as my reserve now)

The people from PD told me that some WS'ers like them as mains, due to the opening characteristics.

Personally, I thought the openings were VERY B| positive, but then again it did still have the reserve slider.

Front riser pressure was intense too.;)

Flew and flared great though.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Ahh, you must be referring to the Raven series. Are you looking to use a Raven as a BASE canopy? Once upon a time while visiting a very old used to be DZO.He told me stories of the fraudelent school that used Ravens as mains and reserves and switched them around instead of buying other newer mains. He mentioned that there were new mains in the reserve container and at a point in time the reserves were old ragged out mains, which of course is a big no no. Both older Raven 220's fly the same. What a deal! Most newer reserves today aren't made like they used to. If your looking to get into BASE, go for the more specifically designed gear for BASE. If it's skydiving your after, go for the gear designed for skydiving. Sounds like your after the 'one rig does it all' i.e. skydiving and BASE.