Mostly_Harmless

How loud is an audible?

I recently just purchased a Larsen & Brusgaard Solo Audible altimeter. When I turn it on it gives me a set of warning beeps so I am guess thats how loud it sounds. I am currently jumping a protec helmet that has no coverage for the ears so I cut a slot big enough for the audible and it fits good. I am just questioning if I am going to be able to hear the beeps when I am flying with all the wind noise. Does anyone current jump an audible in this configuration? Do you think its going to work, or am I going to go have to buy a skydiving helmet. Thanks for you help in advance.

It will not be a problem. Just make sure you have the side of the audible with the sound coming out of it facing in to your ear. This is usually the flip side from the display. You have no idea how many new jumpers put it in backward and then complain about how soft the alarms are. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Read the manual. There is a method to test the real loudness, but I don't have mine with me, so I can't tell you exactly how. Trust me, it is a lot louder than the power on beep.

It is quite deafening, actually. I'm a bit curious over exactly how loud it is... I suspect it's loud enough to damage hearing. Anyone capable of measuring loudness?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Anyone capable of measuring loudness?

_Am

Radio Shack sells a decibel meter... But frequency plays a role too...

To the original poster... I never have had problems hearing my audible with all the wind noise, but the best way to find out is to make a few jumps with it.

It will not be a problem. Just make sure you have the side of the audible with the sound coming out of it facing in to your ear. This is usually the flip side from the display. You have no idea how many new jumpers put it in backward and then complain about how soft the alarms are. ;)

I used to put mine in backward because it was too loud. :P

The padding of the helmet is what is keeping the dytter in the helmet. I made the cut out nice and snug so that its really hard to get out. The first picture is with the dytter in place, with the padding over it you cant even tell its there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/DSCN0151.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/DSCN0152.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/DSCN0153.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/DSCN0154.jpg

I guess I assumed you meant the ear vents to be no coverage as opposed to the half shell. My bad.

Most skydivers that are enjoying the freefall portion of our sport tend to stick with the full cut for noise reduction as well as warmth in the chilly months.

A full cut Pro Tec is about $35 if your configuration doesn't work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Dont bother taking it on a hop n pop! I took mine for one and it didnt get chance to calibrate itself into freefall mode and recognise when Id deployed properly so under canopy whenever I went to those levels it was deafening me! Haha
(This was Lv 8 HnP so left @5k)

Do you have a Dytter (dial adjustment, single warning altitude) or a Pro-Dytter (2 buttons, looks like a Pro-Track w/o the LCD screen)? The Pro-Dytter has multiple warnings, and they do not all go off (for instance the "siren") if the unit "believes" you are under canopy.

For Great Deals on Gear

Scoop,

Do you have 13 jumps and jump with an audible?

Might a make a suggestion?

In order to develope good "skydiver instincts", you MAY want to try setting your beeps for just after break of, just after deployment.

You should be altitude aware and break off BEFORE you hear the beeps. As you turn, your Pro Dytter will let you know you are on track. Same for deployment. You should be reaching back and going through the pull sequence as the Dytter beeps.

Do this for about 100 jumps. That way you are training yourself to rely on you instead of a mechanical device. One day the batteries may die, or the unit may fail. And it would suck to see you waiting for that beep until your other backup device fires.... assuming you have one.

Just a thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I deliberatley set my PRO-dytter ;) lower than any of my working height so I should have completed jump and deployed by then. This way I dont become self reliant and lazy and get into bad habbits. I am altitude aware without it but its always good to have something as a back up. I consulted my instructors before getting one and they were fine with it if used in the circumstances I have done.

Normaly just as canopy is inflating I hear the first sound which is set at 4k (I pull at 4.5k)

I think the confusion with audible alarm was that mine is a Pro-Dytter so when im under canopy I hear no alarms. Or shouldnt